Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leicester Bid £3 /£5/£7.5 million for Ulloa

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
We have struggled finding strikers due to the style we have adopted over the last two managers.

Sami has referred to tight defending with quick transition which may be less suited to Ulloa.

This will no doubt be a factor in whether we keep him.

I am also not a fan of holding players against their will as you never get the best out of them

Ulloa can play with a team wanting to counter-attack, remember the Hull goal and a few others. If we pass the ball to his feet he can hold it up or give it back to someone easily. What he can't do is get any joy if we're punting balls vaguely near him with no support.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
All this talk of selling Ulloa is so very depressing, especially as we need so many new players anyway without having to find yet another striker.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
We have struggled finding strikers due to the style we have adopted over the last two managers.

Sami has referred to tight defending with quick transition which may be less suited to Ulloa.

This will no doubt be a factor in whether we keep him.

I am also not a fan of holding players against their will as you never get the best out of them

Spot on.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
They made up a shortfall with price increases, Bridders money used for this

Do like this little rumour being trotted out now and again.
What short fall? Bloom has funded the whole thing.
Guess it was all planned that Bridcutt would down tools to get his way. The club had no intention to sell him otherwise. And what about the large bids that went in after he went.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Do like this little rumour being trotted out now and again.
What short fall? Bloom has funded the whole thing.
Guess it was all planned that Bridcutt would down tools to get his way. The club had no intention to sell him otherwise. And what about the large bids that went in after he went.

This. Bloom is very rich and has funded the training complex out of his own pocket. As you say, it's a one off investment so doesn't affect FFP limits.

I don't get why people think Bridcutt needed to be sold. If he did, then the club wouldn't have turned down his transfer request; the move only went through in the end because he effectively went on strike. That's not the actions of a club that needs to sell.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
... the move only went through in the end because he effectively went on strike. That's not the actions of a club that needs to sell.

Agreed, but selling him are the actions of a club that react to a player throwing a hissy fit, sulking and going on strike by giving in to what the player wants. Not necessarily actions that you want to create a precedent around. The counter argument is that we got a decent amount for him...

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Agreed, but selling him are the actions of a club that react to a player throwing a hissy fit, sulking and going on strike by giving in to what the player wants. Not necessarily actions that you want to create a precedent around. The counter argument is that we got a decent amount for him...

Depends entirely on the player. If he is not going to perform as a result then get rid. Bennett for us and Suarez for Liverpool have proved that good negotiations with the player and them being reasonable can work, but it doesn't always. I don't think that Bloom has ever exuded the signs of a man to give in.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

are you seriously suggesting that hanging on to a player who wants away, putting them in the stiffs, fining them wages etc... and then have them walk away for nothing at the end of their contracts anyway... is a sensible alternative??

and what sort of signal would that be to other young, ambitious players who might consider signing for us??

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
are you seriously suggesting that hanging on to a player who wants away, putting them in the stiffs, fining them wages etc... and then have them walk away for nothing at the end of their contracts anyway... is a sensible alternative??

and what sort of signal would that be to other young, ambitious players who might consider signing for us??

Agree with this especially the bottom point.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
7.5 million upwards would be hard to resist. Big question is, how much if any of the funds received would would find it's way into this seasons budget? If we, for the sake of argument, had a 10 million budget at the moment does anyone really believe it would be boosted to 17.5 million after the sale? We may get a fortune for him but if we are not willing to spend big on his replacement without dipping into what is available for players at the moment, I'm not sure I wouldn't rather it all fell through and he stayed even though I am not his biggest fan on last seasons performances.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
7.5 million upwards would be hard to resist. Big question is, how much if any of the funds received would would find it's way into this seasons budget? If we for the sake of argument had a 10 million budget at the moment does anyone really believe it would be boosted to 17.5 million after the sale? We may get a fortune for him but if we are not willing to spend big on his replacement without dipping into what is available for players at them moment, I'm not sure I wouldn't rather it all fell through and he stayed.

I think that as long as the books are balances as to hit the FFP regulated levels of debt, any additional money (or at least the vast majority of it) will be ploughed straight back into the playing side. It would be madness on the part of Tony Bloom to basically miss such an opportunity to build a potentially promotion winning team, with the money saved on wages from last season and the transfer fees we've accrued.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think that as long as the books are balances as to hit the FFP regulated levels of debt, any additional money (or at least the vast majority of it) will be ploughed straight back into the playing side. It would be madness on the part of Tony Bloom to basically miss such an opportunity to build a potentially promotion winning team, with the money saved on wages from last season and the transfer fees we've accrued.

I totally agree and I hope that you are right.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Err, no. No, I wasn't suggesting that.

I was simply suggesting that there are consequences of whatever decision the club makes.

Take Bridcutt and Ulloa, for example. If it's true (or even if Leo simply believes it to be true) that the club's hand in selling Liam was, to some degree at least, forced by Bridcutt going on strike, then I would suggest that if Leo wants away, he may now be more tempted to go on strike to make it happen than he may have before seeing Liam use that tactic. S'all.

How does this work? Surely any transfer fees received during the current accounting period ending 30th June (eg for Bridcutt, Barnes and El Abd) go towards reducing the losses for 2013/14?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
How does this work? Surely any transfer fees received during the current accounting period ending 30th June (eg for Bridcutt, Barnes and El Abd) go towards reducing the losses for 2013/14?

I guess we need someone like [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] to answer that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here