Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looking forward to 2016 and a start to running again. I have been out with an achilles injury which I hope has cleared up and holds out until October when I intend to get another 26.2 under my belt....a belt I hope I can do up a few less notches by then.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Looking forward to 2016 and a start to running again. I have been out with an achilles injury which I hope has cleared up and holds out until October when I intend to get another 26.2 under my belt....a belt I hope I can do up a few less notches by then.

A good time to set this year's running ambitions and goals......................mine:

1. to still be running this time next year!

2. to complete a half

3. to nudge up beyond 77% Age Grading and thereby...........

4. to establish myself as the king of the NSC running thread (age grading) - although I'm happy to be overthrown!

Good luck to everyone with their own goals (that's not 'own goals' as in football) - and here's to an injury free 2016.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Starting to ramp up from my usual 5k twice a week (since the Brighton Marathon last year) into doing the Worthing and Brighton half marathons. Also doing a tough mudder and the Disneyland Paris half marathon later in the year.

Did I spot somewhere in the 500 pages there is a Strava group?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A good time to set this year's running ambitions and goals......................mine:

1. to still be running this time next year!

2. to complete a half

3. to nudge up beyond 77% Age Grading and thereby...........

4. to establish myself as the king of the NSC running thread (age grading) - although I'm happy to be overthrown!

Good luck to everyone with their own goals (that's not 'own goals' as in football) - and here's to an injury free 2016.

Just off to Hastings so will list my aims for 2016 this evening. One of them will be a 20:03 5k that will give me a 77% AG!
The Rest,Ice, Compression and elevation has eased the calf. See how it goes today before committing to a recovery 27" 5k tomorrow.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Aims for 2016

A sub 18:30 5k
A sub 40:00 10k
A sub 1:28:00 half
A sub 3:15:00 marathon

But most of all to keep injury free as I've done through 2015 which has allowed me to clock up 778 miles with one final run in a couple of hours time.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Aims for 2016

But most of all to keep injury free as I've done through 2015 which has allowed me to clock up 778 miles with one final run in a couple of hours time.

Good luck. I have two sub 3:15 marathons but have never achieved the others.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My soleus muscle in my calf is ******. Can walk on it today and tomorrow walking round Fairlight Glen in Hastings. Whether it recovers for running by Friday, I do not know. I will do my best.

Baldocks.......

I'm a persistent calf muscle tearer as well......(just getting over two in 4 weeks, one in each leg) - be really careful if it's the soleus as it takes much longer to heal than the gastroc.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
803 miles for the year having completed a negative split 6 this morning in the hurricane.

Goals for next year:

Sub 1hr 50 half
Sub 4 hour marathon
Sub 48 min 10k (reckon I could crack 50 now but coach won't let me :lolol: )
1000 miles for the year (this should keep me going after Brighton)
Do a Park Run (not easy as I'm coaching at exactly the same time normally)

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Aims for 2016

Oof. I was aiming for an 88 half but seeing you setting that target makes me suspect I should aim for 95 or something.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Anyone doing two Park Runs tomorrow?
09:00 at Brighton & Hove Promenade and 10:30 at Hove Park.
Not often you can do two runs in the same postcode on the same day?!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Anyone doing two Park Runs tomorrow?
09:00 at Brighton & Hove Promenade and 10:30 at Hove Park.
Not often you can do two runs in the same postcode on the same day?!

Hangover allowing yes I plan to do both.

Last run of the year today clocked up 1142/km/710 miles for the year.

Targets for 2016..

100th park run (easy by mid January!)
Beat Hove Park run PB of 20:31
Sub 1:40 HM - need something flatter than Barns Green or Hastings!
Finish London Marathon with a smile on my face and somewhere near 3:40
Keep on enjoying the running as a 50 year old man.

Happy New Year all!!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I'm having a relaxed 2016 so not chasing any PB's.. my plans for 2016 are;

More runs with my local running club.
A couple of unsupported relaxed 50milers in the summer, just for the adventure really.
Work on my core a bit.
In the Autumn, starting with Beachy, train for the TP100 and hopefully the GUCR in 2017

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
By the way, who is this Jesus chap people keep mentioning? Obviously he's a physio but where is he based?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Last little run of the year today with a few miles of country lanes in Devon. 2015 Running year was mostly OK but a bit of a rubbish ending with minor niggles ruining November and December meaning I missed the Velothon and Beachy Head [emoji20]

Highlights for me were the Centurion Running SDW50 and Sussex trail events Lunar-Tic marathon races, both of which I absolutely loved, plus sneaking under 20 mins for 5k (missing out 21-20 mins completely in the process). Chief lowlight, apart from missing a couple of races I was really looking forward to was failure in the SDW100, dropping out at 70 miles vowing there and then never to try that distance again.

Main target for 2016 is going to be.....er..........ahem. Got at least half a dozen marathons and ultras booked in for the first half of the year, all will be training runs for the thing I'm definitely not trying again.

Stats - not even averaging an hour a day. Must try harder.....

Distance 1,907.0 mi
Time 293h 26m
Elev Gain 86,519 ft
Runs 252

Been a great year on this thread, thanks to all for the chatter, encouragement and support, and really good to have met a few of you on various events. Good luck in your 2016 endeavours !

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Baldocks.......

I'm a persistent calf muscle tearer as well......(just getting over two in 4 weeks, one in each leg) - be really careful if it's the soleus as it takes much longer to heal than the gastroc.

Baldocks indeed. Walked 6 miles up and down the various glens of Hastings County Park today without any problem except tightness. Sore now but OK. I will heed your advice and NOT run tomorrow as something is up. As to what it is, I am useless at self diagnosis. It runs from the Achilles and hurts just where it meets and goes under the large calf muscle.

For [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] Jesus is a man I use and religiously go on about. Guinness Boy has also been. He is at Coral's gym at Hove Dog Stadium, if interested ring reception and ask for sports injury man. Problem for me is he got married this year and has spent Christmas/New Year with the new in laws in Canada. Will be ringing soon.

The aims for the year ahead can wait till tomorrow. I have some drinking to get on with now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Baldocks indeed. Walked 6 miles up and down the various glens of Hastings County Park today without any problem except tightness. Sore now but OK. I will heed your advice and NOT run tomorrow as something is up. As to what it is, I am useless at self diagnosis. It runs from the Achilles and hurts just where it meets and goes under the large calf muscle.

For [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] Jesus is a man I use and religiously go on about. Guinness Boy has also been. He is at Coral's gym, if interested ring reception and ask for sports injury man. Problem for me is he got married this year and has spent Christmas/New Year with the new in laws in Canada. Will be ringing soon.

The aims for the year ahead can wait till tomorrow. I have some drinking to get on with now.

All makes sense - you hardly use your soleus when walking, but you do when running (I did mine a few years back at Cutty Sark but still completed London by walking it). What you're describing sounds just like a soleus tear so don't make it any worse by trying to run ! Jesus might save you (some recovery time) but it's a bugger for physios to get at because it's hidden under the gastroc and difficult to manipulate. Rest, ice and elevate for a few days, let JC have a go at it and start all the usual stretches (depending on his diagnosis and advice).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

For [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] Jesus is a man I use and religiously go on about. Guinness Boy has also been. He is at Coral's gym at Hove Dog Stadium, if interested ring reception and ask for sports injury man. Problem for me is he got married this year and has spent Christmas/New Year with the new in laws in Canada. Will be ringing soon.

Cheers fella. I'll look him up. He's been mentioned to me before actually. Have fun tonight and hope your issue sorts itself out.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Last little run of the year today with a few miles of country lanes in Devon. 2015 Running year was mostly OK but a bit of a rubbish ending with minor niggles ruining November and December meaning I missed the Velothon and Beachy Head [emoji20]

Highlights for me were the Centurion Running SDW50 and Sussex trail events Lunar-Tic marathon races, both of which I absolutely loved, plus sneaking under 20 mins for 5k (missing out 21-20 mins completely in the process). Chief lowlight, apart from missing a couple of races I was really looking forward to was failure in the SDW100, dropping out at 70 miles vowing there and then never to try that distance again.

Main target for 2016 is going to be.....er..........ahem. Got at least half a dozen marathons and ultras booked in for the first half of the year, all will be training runs for the thing I'm definitely not trying again.

Stats - not even averaging an hour a day. Must try harder.....

Distance 1,907.0 mi
Time 293h 26m
Elev Gain 86,519 ft
Runs 252

Been a great year on this thread, thanks to all for the chatter, encouragement and support, and really good to have met a few of you on various events. Good luck in your 2016 endeavours !

Incredible stats - your wife must be a very understanding person.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here