Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Middlesbrough pitch invasion

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Have we left any stone unturned in which to beat the opposition with?

Reading v Burnley, wasn't it universally loved here when Burnley goaded Reading? Oh but I'm sure someone will have a fantastic excuse for that.

Move on, this place is looking pathetic.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have we left any stone unturned in which to beat the opposition with?

Reading v Burnley, wasn't it universally loved here when Burnley goaded Reading? Oh but I'm sure someone will have a fantastic excuse for that.

Move on, this place is looking pathetic.

This.

A few (tiny %) thought it would be more fun to come over to us and take the piss or whatever. There were far more applauding us. Inside the ground on the way out several shook hands and wished us well. Outside the ground, we walked back to the hotel and aside from one group of obviously drunk late teens/20 somethings, vast majority were fine. Not sure things would have been the same if we'd won however........

Mike Dean was a bit pathetic. He saw the invasion coming, so jogged backwards towards the tunnel with his whistle in his mouth, blowing it when he reached the touchline (by which time fans were already on the pitch)

Willow74

Dec 16, 2015
Yeah, we have some scummy fans but no need to tarnish us all with the same brush! I'm sure Brighton have their share too as does every club in the land! I'm the first to condone these idiots, unfortunately we can't oust the d!cks. 30,000 boro fans there on Saturday there was always going to be a small element of doyles at the game

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Your either talking shite or talking to geordies, mackems, most likley making shite up. Why would any Boro fan not like karanka, he has taken us from relegation to promotion. We where going down when he arrived, kept us up, made the play off final the next year and then promoted. Every Boro fan i seen was bouncing 2 hours after the final whistle and 99% stayed for nearly a hour after the final whistle. We were like you this year, nearly relegated and then in the playoffs.

There were loads of your lot on the station catching the trains after the game. I apologise I didn't film the conversation to put on you tube like your classy fans are posting videos abusing our players during the pitch invasion. The also hate Downing with a passion.

07May2016

Apr 8, 2016
The bitterness on this thread is hilarious!! It's also funny that you don't see the irony in calling boro fans classless. I think what is classless is to slate our fans when a large number of them applauded you as you were leaving. I was sat right next to the away end and if you think your fans weren't goading us when you scored then you must have been sat with your eyes closed and fingers in your ears.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The bitterness on this thread is hilarious!! It's also funny that you don't see the irony in calling boro fans classless. I think what is classless is to slate our fans when a large number of them applauded you as you were leaving. I was sat right next to the away end and if you think your fans weren't goading us when you scored then you must have been sat with your eyes closed and fingers in your ears.

I saw a couple of younger lads gesticulating at you when we scored. It happens in every game throughout the land. I was on the far left next to your fans with only netting between us, so I had a clear view.

I didn't see your fans applaud us, but I was watching closely to see if our players managed to get off the pitch safely as they were being assaulted on the pitch.
I stayed right to the end

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I walked around the back of their main stand afterwards, with several others in colours, and we were roundly applauded. All clubs have their idiots. I find most Boro fans good, honest, genuine fans, and were great hosts on Saturday. I wish them the very best next season. What does however need looking at was the pitch invasion prior to the final whistle, which clearly influenced the ref to blow the final whistle when he did.

This was my experience too.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

For the last time I'll say it: my walk back to town to get my car was not pleasant at all, and I had young kids with me.

Now, it may be the case that those in town had not been at the game, had spent all afternoon in the pub and you may classify them as 'not real Boro fans' - the majority of whom were probably still in the ground celebrating. It wasn't nice though, and it sounds like it was even worse for the poor Albion fans who had to return to their coach at the Holiday Inn Express, immediately adjacent to that square. Having had to walk through the mob gathering there, I can well appreciate that.

So, please forgive me for having a pretty low opinion of the people of Middlesbrough. Nothing you post is going to make me change my mind.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Obviously it didn't happen, but with the fans gathering on the advertising hoardings, I did wonder what would happen if a Brighton player broke, rounded the keeper and hit the ball into the open goal, only for a fan to run on and stop it going in.

The ref can't give the goal, because the ball didn't go in, and he's not allowed to assume it would have no matter how obvious it is.
He can't give a penalty because no one in the Middlesbrough team committed an offence.
As best I can work out it would be a drop ball on the edge of the 18 yard box in line with the incident. Boro packing the box and block the shot.

The sporting thing would be for Boro to let us score a goal unopposed, but I don't think many people would expect them to actually do that.

We would have been screwed out of automatic promotion by a cheating fan. Would the FA deduct them points - we all know how loathe to act on promotion/relegation issues they are (they seemingly waited until the points deduction on Rotherham wouldn't affect things last season)? Would they still be able to take part in the play offs? Would making them go through the play offs really be punishment, since that's what would have happened without the cheating anyway?

This is brilliant! Inventing something that didn't happen and then moaning about it. Those hypothetical cheating *******s!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Found the whole fallout quite depressing really. As I have said before the Boro fans that I actually met were decent, I thought the atmosphere was terrific and that you were a credit to the club, the rent boy chant aside.

Sadly the two sets of fans will never agree on the sending off, I've watched it loads of times and am mystified as to why a free kick was given. it was a tackle Stephens went for the ball and Ramierez was late to the challenge and unfortunately picked up the injury. Personally speaking that does grate with me a lot, but I won't allow it to sour what was a favourable view of most Boro fans.

With regards to the pitch invasion I thought there more peole applauding us than goading and we applauded back.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Found the whole fallout quite depressing really. As I have said before the Boro fans that I actually met were decent, I thought the atmosphere was terrific and that you were a credit to the club, the rent boy chant aside.

Sadly the two sets of fans will never agree on the sending off, I've watched it loads of times and am mystified as to why a free kick was given. it was a tackle Stephens went for the ball and Ramierez was late to the challenge and unfortunately picked up the injury. Personally speaking that does grate with me a lot, but I won't allow it to sour what was a favourable view of most Boro fans.

With regards to the pitch invasion I thought there more peole applauding us than goading and we applauded back.
Agreed.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

I guess you haven't seen online recordings of the abuse Sidwell and Stockdale received during the pitch invasion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Obviously it didn't happen, but with the fans gathering on the advertising hoardings, I did wonder what would happen if a Brighton player broke, rounded the keeper and hit the ball into the open goal, only for a fan to run on and stop it going in.

The ref can't give the goal, because the ball didn't go in, and he's not allowed to assume it would have no matter how obvious it is.
He can't give a penalty because no one in the Middlesbrough team committed an offence.
As best I can work out it would be a drop ball on the edge of the 18 yard box in line with the incident. Boro packing the box and block the shot.
In such circumstances, I think the ref should abandon the match, as it's not possible to play it properly, and the FA should deduct points from the offending team.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
There are also claims that Hemed and Rosenior were assaulted.

It definitely appeared there was some shoving going on as the invasion engulfed them. Rosenior had dropped to his knees at the full time whistle and was just getting up when the wave of onrushing fans crashed into him. It looked like he was initially knocked back down but whether that was deliberate or not is another matter.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It definitely appeared there was some shoving going on as the invasion engulfed them. Rosenior had dropped to his knees at the full time whistle and was just getting up when the wave of onrushing fans crashed into him. It looked like he was initially knocked back down but whether that was deliberate or not is another matter.

That's what I saw.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here