Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uber Brighton

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
22000 drivers in london uncontrollable, 32 rapes, dodgy drivers and cars only fully comp insurance and price surge so its not so cheap but any way best of luck i doubt council will renew their licence as they dont have enough drivers, no multi seaters and no wheelchair accessable cabs

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
Too many taxi permits issued,Uber will result in a better performance from our local taxi firms

only about 12 hackney plates issued each year and there is a 12 year waiting list, every 5 years the council have an outside company do a poll and survey on the taxi service in brighton and they always report that we have enough taxis to cover the area. so no need to flood the town with Uber cars as in london where there are 22000 resulting in approx 32 rapes and many assaults, no knowledge, no public liability insurance, no enhanced mot,s

geoff2021

Jun 22, 2009
If you knew anything about the taxi service in Brighton you might have seen the price list set by the council in every taxi in the town so i sugest you aim your comments to the Hackney Officers in Hove Town Hall

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

If you knew anything about the taxi service in Brighton you might have seen the price list set by the council in every taxi in the town so i sugest you aim your comments to the Hackney Officers in Hove Town Hall

You are correct, however, there is no reason at all why the private hire companies should charge Hackney prices. They do, and they all do. In a different industry this could be called illegal price fixing.

The 20% of wheelchair access vehicles only applies to fleets over 100.

An earlier comment suggested that the council might remove their license to operate if they can't get enough drivers. This is not possible. You can obtain an operators license with one vehicle.

The suggestions that Uber drivers are more likely to commit a crime or have an unroadworthy vehicle is nonsense too, as the drivers have exactly the same checks to themselves, their documents and their cars as other PH drivers.

Uber is a huge move forward. For a female travelling alone, it's great that they will know the car and driver in advance, the journey will be logged and they won't have to find cash there and then. This can only be better than standing at the side of the road and flagging down a cab where nothing is known or recorded.

I can see why the existing trade oppose this. They will lose business or have to lower their prices to compete. This is long overdue competition and should be celebrated.

Speaking to a friend who is a cabby, one of his biggest concerns is that Uber will show what drivers can earn and the £15,000 he tells HMRC he earns each year might not be so believable in the future. Apparently £15k is a common figure in the trade to report as earnings, despite the average being over double this?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here