Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion plot double swoop into transfer market

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Maybe we could get Liverpool to loan us Texieira and bring along his fellow Portugal U21 international Tiago Ilori to cover at CB? They've said he will be loaned out this season and with Greer getting on a bit now, we do really need four CB's as he isn't going to be able to handle two games a week all season. Injuries/suspensions are inevitable, also.

Perhaps they could get the best from Ilori if he goes along with someone he obviously knows well and they seem happy with how Teixeira did with us last season.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
We need someone with a great delivery in the mould of Watson and Currie, its something we have missed in our team since we lost Orlandi, Spanish Dave and Buckley.

Zamora and Hemed thrive on good balls delivered into the box and I am sure we will get a few more from knock downs etc.

I don't mind who we bring in and from where as long as one has a great delivery.

Personally I'd love Tex back and I think it would be a real coup. Reading this article makes it seem rather unlikely though: http://www.thisisanfield.com/2015/0...g-midfielders-impress-in-liverpool-u21s-draw/

I have to agree, after reading the article myself. It seems that Tex is on the fringe of making the first team squad at Liverpool. But if he doesn't, he would be a great player to have in our first team squad. I doubt it will be anything other than a loan signing though, and might not be till after the window closes.

I think we have to be careful what we wish for. Last year we did a Tottenham. We sold Ulloa and brought a load of dross with the money. If we buy any more players, they have to be quality players that can make an immediate impact, and we all know those sort of players come at a premium.

This year i think TB has been very supportive of Hughton because he wants promotion as much as we all do. He has signed players early, and signed some proven quality that can make a difference to the squad, such as Zamora, Hünemeier, , Rosenoir, and Bong. He also signed a few players with an eye on the future, like Hemed, Harper, Murphy and Goldson, some of which will make a difference this season. We now have strength in depth when you consider what we already have, but that all depends on who stays and who goes. But we need the players we already have to gel and bond, because Bournemouth proved last year that even with out top name players you can win matches in this league with hard work, good organisation, and determination.

Personally, I would love for us to keep hold of Dunk and Stephens. I think that would be a massive sign of intent from the club that we definitely mean business. Adding another striker and a midfield playmaker would definitely strengthen what we have, and provide competition in all areas, as well as the ability to change formation when needed. But I think that will only happen if we sell Dunk, otherwise it will be long term loan players like Tex. TB has been quite canny this year though, and signed players before selling. This has stopped clubs raising their prices because they know we have a few million in the bank.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I have to agree, after reading the article myself. It seems that Tex is on the fringe of making the first team squad at Liverpool. But if he doesn't, he would be a great player to have in our first team squad. I doubt it will be anything other than a loan signing though, and might not be till after the window closes.

I've no idea if he's coming to the Albion but Liverpool's u21 coach virtually confirmed Tex was going out on loan after that u21 match.
"Tiago and Joao have not played for the U21s in two seasons now, they're very much seen as senior first team members of squad. They needed tonight for minutes, fitness and exposure and I thought both boys acquitted themselves well.
"Obviously Tiago has been away and had an experience outside of England and we're hoping he'll get another loan in the coming weeks alongside Joao."
Asked about Ilori's own desire to stay and fight for a first team place, Beale added: "I think Tiago will benefit from another loan if the option is to stay here and play U21s football.
"I think Tiago will obviously benefit from a loan experience. going and playing in the leagues will be important for him. he had fantastic exposure in the summer playing in the European Championships where I thought he did well. And for Joao as well, he had a lovely season last year at Brighton so these boys now need to go and play with men in the leagues.

I've no idea if he's coming to the Albion but Liverpool's u21 coach virtually confirmed Tex was going out on loan after that u21 match.

I've said this before on here, that I don't think he would fit into CH's plans with the current formation, and Liverpool will want him to play as much as possible. I think there are other teams out there who play 4-5-1 that would suit Tex more than us. I think we only got him last year because of Hypia's links to Liverpool and the promise that we would play only one up front. So I very much doubt he will come to us (as much as I would like to have him in the squad), more than likely he'll go to Derby!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If we go large on a pacey goalscoring striker then we are very much top 6 material , if we don't then we are going to be let down by a lack of goals by strikers again. We are getting lucky at the moment but after 5 games a pattern is there. Early days but we need better up top still.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
If we go large on a pacey goalscoring striker then we are very much top 6 material , if we don't then we are going to be let down by a lack of goals by strikers again. We are getting lucky at the moment but after 5 games a pattern is there. Early days but we need better up top still.

Spot on. We can't scrape one nils all season

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Not sure about Tex but illiori has made it very clear that he intends to get into the first team this year. In a 442, Turtle and Lovren seem to be the preferred choice with Sahko as back up. When we play with 3 at the back we don't have much cover so Tiago may be first reserve. Problem is that Sahko wants to play or get away as he wants to be a regular for the French first team so if he goes Tiago could squeeze in.
Tex has been probably one of the players of the pre-season and he needs PL experience if I'm honest before he's fighting for a first team place. Not sure we will see him here.

westy

Jul 25, 2003

Pretty much spot on. We very well drilled and solid defensively but we dont currently have enough goals in the side. Bobby will help out when fit but an additional striker is a must if we are to make the top 6. Get the right guy and we could even aim a little higher I feel..

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Unfortunately not all teams will be as profligate with their chances as Blackburn were on Saturday. As good as Stockdale is we can't be relying on him keeping a clean sheet every week to win matches.

True. Also, in terms of opposition, we had a good start, as Forest, Fulham and Blackburn aren't in the best of shapes. The next two Championship matches might give us a better guide to how we'll fare this season. Still, it's good to be going into those games with confidence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here