Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Symphony of the Seas - the largest passenger ship ever to be constructed

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Agreed, stuck on a ship with ~9000 others sounds like my idea of hell.

And when you get to a port, you're in cafes/markets/shops/museums with them all.

Had the misfortune to be in Valetta when a gigantic ship like this disgorged thousands of Americans. We got straight on a bus to Mdina.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd hate to be on it though - can't think of anything worse for a holiday.
Exactly. What's the point? I get the idea of a modest sized ship that docks at different European cities and you get to pop out and enjoy the locale, but with this leviathan I wouldn't want to be disembarking with 6,000 others at the same time.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
And there was me thinking that the hotel that we're going to might be a bit big as it can accommodate about 700 people.

6000?! And you're stuck at sea with em. Madness.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Horrible things. Makes visiting places like the old city of Dubrovnik virtually impossible, as thousands of people pour in all at once from the cruise ships. Although I'm assuming that someone's making some money from hefty docking fees.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
As an ex sailor..... looks top heavy to me and may roll around a bit on ye old briny.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
That's a posh floating prison to me. Instead of being full of shoplifters and the like, it'd be mainly full of cockwombles.

Horrible things. Makes visiting places like the old city of Dubrovnik virtually impossible, as thousands of people pour in all at once from the cruise ships. Although I'm assuming that someone's making some money from hefty docking fees.

I think you’ll find a lot of cities/ports actually pay the cruise lines to dock their ships due to the amount of money the tourists on the boats spend ashore.

This is actually old news. The ‘biggest’ is technically correct, but only by a few inches. The Symphony has 2 sister ships which have been sailing for some time. These are also RCCL boats and are called the Alure and the Oasis. I’ve had amazing holidays on them both.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
All the weight is below the waterline; engines, fuel, 10000 tons of hamburgers/fries/grits
But that 10000 tons of burgers and stuff shifts from storage below the waterline to add to the fat around the waist of the obese cruisers who are staying above the waterline. It becomes more top-heavy as the cruise progresses.

Is there some kind of point beyond which the collective weight gained by the passengers makes the ship unstable?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It's essentially a block of flats on its side.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A ghetto on waves. Its a no from me.

Million miles away from the truth. Ghetto it is not!

Royal carribean is very much a party cruise line and one aimed at families. If you want something more British and sedate, there is PandO and the Boudicca etc. We have been in a ship with five thousand people on it and had a ball!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here