Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bus crash on north street

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Yes
North St & Western rd are starved of non bus traffic leaving the bus drivers a free run often at speeds higher than if cars were present causing congestion.
It is clear the 2nd bus was travelling too fast & too close to the one in front to stop in time otherwise it would have done....

and if it were the case that the driver of bus collapsed at wheel it wouldn't matter what speed they were doing they would still hit,

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The facilities are the same as at any major junction, are they not? I'm not sure what more could be done to stop people taking risks and crossing when they're not supposed to.

Traffic islands to break the thing up a bit? That would also force the traffic to slow down a bit. Not that difficult shirley? Same as that crappy three-way junction at the top of North Road where more often than not all the traffic is stopped on reds and the pedestrians don't have the green man either. So nothing's moving and the pedestrians just shrug and walk.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Yes
North St & Western rd are starved of non bus traffic leaving the bus drivers a free run often at speeds higher than if cars were present causing congestion.
It is clear the 2nd bus was travelling too fast & too close to the one in front to stop in time otherwise it would have done....

Unless you witnessed it I would say that to suggest that is as clear as mud.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Can anyone explain why there are 2 orange traffic cones under the front of the bus that crashed?

It's got me stumped.

i can't work that out either. Unless the driver was unconcious/out of control, in which case it could have swervered prior to crashing. all speculation, hope the injured parties recover firstly then we can start with conspiricy theories!

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Totally agree. Regardless of this accident, I just cannot understand why we seem to be the only city on earth who thinks it's a good idea to have the red/green men on the poles on your side of the road. When there are more than 3 people waiting to cross, you can't see them! So many people wander across the lights at that junction by North and West Street I'm surprised more people aren't hurt.

This with bells on. They are bloody dangerous and definitely catch tourists unaware.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Needs a thorough investigation as to why at least one bus was going at such a speed right in the centre of our town on the approach to our most major shopping centre as to cause that level of injuries. Then traffic-calming steps need taking so it never happens again. Obviously. Maybe they could do something about Preston Circus while they're at it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Needs a thorough investigation as to why at least one bus was going at such a speed right in the centre of our town as to cause that level of injuries. Then traffic-calming steps need taking so it never happens again. Obviously.

What traffic calming measures do you think would prevent a collision in a scenario where one driver- hypothetically- was having a medical episode at the time?

Needs a thorough investigation as to why at least one bus was going at such a speed right in the centre of our town on the approach to our most major shopping centre as to cause that level of injuries. Then traffic-calming steps need taking so it never happens again. Obviously. Maybe they could do something about Preston Circus while they're at it.

What if the driver has had a heart attack or seizure, how do you prevent that happening again?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What traffic calming measures do you think would prevent a collision in a scenario where one driver- hypothetically- was having a medical episode at the time?

Whatever it takes to stop a vehicle being able to build up enough speed to cause this...

Brighton_bus_crash_3365963b.jpg

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Whatever it takes to stop a vehicle being able to build up enough speed to cause this...

Brighton_bus_crash_3365963b.jpg

I'm not sure you read my question correctly. How would you cater for (say) an unconscious or semi-conscious driver, for example? What measures are you suggesting?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My theory is that many passengers were standing up getting ready to get off the bus at the next stop. Some would have fallen down the stairs & as it was after 9 am there would have been elderly passengers downstairs who would sustain more severe injuries than youngsters who would be more steady on their feet.
I'm not sure that speed came into the equation but the shock of a sudden impact.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My theory is that many passengers were standing up getting ready to get off the bus at the next stop. Some would have fallen down the stairs & as it was after 9 am there would have been elderly passengers downstairs who would sustain more severe injuries than youngsters who would be more steady on their feet.
I'm not sure that speed came into the equation but the shock of a sudden impact.

Quite. The nature of city centre buses is that there are frequently people standing up, especially at busy times. We've all been on a bus (or a train, or a Tube) where it jolts suddenly as it pulls away or slows down. It doesn't have to be going fast at the time.

B&H buses in North Street stop so frequently for passengers, other buses, traffic lights, pedestrians, roadworks and so on that they rarely get up to any sort of speed. I would be very surprised indeed if excess speed turned out to be a factor in this particular case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here