Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Safe standing

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
wow, I'm really impressed that you managed to ask 25,000 people what they thought on the matter

unless....unless you made that up? surely not?

Perhaps it is a case of 25000 who havent attended a forum are not sufficiently interested to attend also I did say that it seems and the impression given not that it was definite and at no time did I suggest that I had asked the other 25000

Oct 25, 2003
Perhaps it is a case of 25000 who havent attended a forum are not sufficiently interested to attend also I did say that it seems and the impression given not that it was definite.

so because they didn't turn up to some forum you assume that they don't want safe standing?

I didn't attend the forum and want safe standing (although would prefer a more traditional model)- I don't think attendance of some forum is a requirement to show your interest to be honest

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Perhaps it is a case of 25000 who havent attended a forum are not sufficiently interested to attend also I did say that it seems and the impression given not that it was definite and at no time did I suggest that I had asked the other 25000

The first of several forums around the county. Why travel to the Amex if you're going to a forum nearer home?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would it not be easier to ask people who want it to happen to write in or send an email to a specially set up address If there was a proforma answer/voting sheet either on line, In the Argus or in the program I would answer it., It works for something mundane like POTS so why not for an important issue.

Oct 25, 2003
Would it not be easier to ask people who want it to happen to write in or send an email to a specially set up address

For me the forums were an opportunity to have an open dialogue between the club and it's fans, for people to ask PB questions on the matter- not as a measure of counting how many people are interested in it. I think this is a positive move from the club as their previous stance on the matter was pretty black and white. PB has done his research and decided to be a bit more open minded on the subject which I applaud

to reiterate- nothing is going to happen until the law is changed so I don't see much point in setting up a specific email address just yet! What would that achieve anyway?! The club receive a few thousand emails....so what?! what that does that show?! I'm not convinced this issue should go down to some sort of public vote which you are essentially suggesting- it could be easily hijacked and at the end of the day the decision lies with the board. What happens if a majority vote for the subject but the club decide it's not economically viable? Terrible PR

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
There is no way we cannot get extra people in the North Stand if we have safe standing. I do not know why Barber persists with this nonsense. The Amex seats are bigger than any other football ground I have ever been in. Those rail seats are at least 30% smaller than what we have currently. And don't reply some bs about vomitries and exits, I have been to QPR, Leeds, Ipswich, Watford etc etc. If the North Stand is not allowed more than 2,500 with the facilities and exits we have, those grounds should have been closed down decades ago.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Would it not be easier to ask people who want it to happen to write in or send an email to a specially set up address If there was a proforma answer/voting sheet either on line, In the Argus or in the program I would answer it., It works for something mundane like POTS so why not for an important issue.

What are you on about now? You will answer a form in the Argus, but you won't reply to an email direct to your own address? I think it may be best if you leave this subject alone. You have expressed your opinion, now you are just saying literally anything, for the sake of it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What are you on about now? You will answer a form in the Argus, but you won't reply to an email direct to your own address? I think it may be best if you leave this subject alone. You have expressed your opinion, now you are just saying literally anything, for the sake of it.

I misunderstood and thought the club were trying to gather information as to the supporters views and wishes

The 3 ways cover virtually all supporters. Most will fall into 1 or the other category.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There is no way we cannot get extra people in the North Stand if we have safe standing. I do not know why Barber persists with this nonsense. The Amex seats are bigger than any other football ground I have ever been in. Those rail seats are at least 30% smaller than what we have currently. And don't reply some bs about vomitries and exits, I have been to QPR, Leeds, Ipswich, Watford etc etc. If the North Stand is not allowed more than 2,500 with the facilities and exits we have, those grounds should have been closed down decades ago.

Local planning permission.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's not a nostalgic trip and it's not for a minority. It's for everyone, whether they want to stand or not. Other than that, good post.

How many of those calling for safe standing do so because they have experienced it elsewhere? I suspect very few so you can surmise from that it is about those that remember standing on the terrace for home games nearly 20 years ago. There will of course be those that stood at the odd away game but having witnessed the standing at Burton, it was still predominantly a section in the middle behind the goal that did all the singing. Perhaps the club should try and identify those in the North stand now that want to sing and attempt to get them to all move to the same area to sAee if that enhances the atmosphere?

You can spin it all you like but the facility will be for a minority, ie out of the 30,000 there tomorrow, only a minority will actually want to stand rather than sit. You might as well say that the 1901 is for everyone so we should all subsidize their prices!

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
How many of those calling for safe standing do so because they have experienced it elsewhere? I suspect very few so you can surmise from that it is about those that remember standing on the terrace for home games nearly 20 years ago. There will of course be those that stood at the odd away game but having witnessed the standing at Burton, it was still predominantly a section in the middle behind the goal that did all the singing. Perhaps the club should try and identify those in the North stand now that want to sing and attempt to get them to all move to the same area to sAee if that enhances the atmosphere?

You can spin it all you like but the facility will be for a minority, ie out of the 30,000 there tomorrow, only a minority will actually want to stand rather than sit. You might as well say that the 1901 is for everyone so we should all subsidize their prices!

What a load of shit. Of course it's going to be for a minority, but a minority can still be substantial.

I want to move from WL if I can stand in the North. It's nothing to do with ****ing nostalgia you moron, I simply enjoy watching football standing up.

You are well within your rights to not have to contribute financially of course, assuming you are either ignorant of how it would improve home atmosphere, or well aware but still unwilling/capable.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The club said last night that Celtic paid around £166 per space.

At that rate 3,000 seats would costs just shy of £500,000.

Split that cost equally among 23,000 STHs, and that would amount to £21.65 each.
I'd pay £2 extra a month on the direct debit even though I'm not interested in moving to the standing area.

I really don't think Tony should be expected to stump up for it on top of his 1.5 million monthly loss.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

We have a legal capacity of 30,750. The North Stand has its own legal capacity (around 3,000 or so - maybe a little more). To arbitrarily dismiss the club's legal obligations has no meaning. To increase capacity requires...

Local planning permission.

... which is the crux of the matter.

Doubt it would be an issue for a few thousand extra.

Your doubts are, I'd suggest, seriously misplaced.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

I can't believe some people still don't understand why fans want to stand? I also can't get my head around why anyone would be against it. If you don't want to stand yourself, fine. But don't try to talk down or stop safe standing when you have no intention of using it yourself and are dismissive of it for no particular reason other that you are un or misinformed. Yes it will be a minority of the ground but a significant one that wants to stand. 10% of the stadium having safe standing is a minority but it could be a very loud, happy area. Let's do it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What a load of shit. Of course it's going to be for a minority, but a minority can still be substantial.

I want to move from WL if I can stand in the North. It's nothing to do with ****ing nostalgia you moron, I simply enjoy watching football standing up.

You are well within your rights to not have to contribute financially of course, assuming you are either ignorant of how it would improve home atmosphere, or well aware but still unwilling/capable.

Maybe you're the moron because if you read my post it was in response to someone else claiming it was for everyone!!!!!

The atmosphere would improve if everyone who sang in the north stand had seasons tickets together or they chose to sing the same songs at the same time. Personally, don't think the atmosphere is too bad. If the game is good the atmosphere will be as well. Please also don't try and pretend that all those that want to stand are doing for the altruistic reasons, ie to create a better atmosphere for the rest of us. You're doing for yourselves. Fair enough but bear the costs yourselves. The £166 figure quoted spread over five years of ticket prices for standing isn't much (although I suspect the costs of doing the work in Scotland would be considerably cheaper than down here and then you have to add in the legal costs of getting planning permission, etc etc)

And to cap it all, why are you in WL? You could already be in the North stand in the back few rows joining in the singing and standing! You could already be doing what you claim to want to do but apparently you don't!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here