Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex by the Sea V Men of Harlech

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
For all the talk of different ways to improve the atmosphere at the Amex, sticking the words to Sussex By The Sea on the big screens would have the biggest difference, IMHO. Starting each game off with the entire ground, or at least most, singing something audible at the same time would really give the atmosphere a shot in the arm.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Like it or not, the gay bit will always be a stumbling block. It just doesn't mean the same these days and it is used globally.

Change that line to something like "Now open your hearts and play" and more will join in for the whole song.

I think we should keep the original line and change the line after to

'anyone who sniggers at that line can go f*** themselves'

Original arrangement, Original Words and get them up on the screens :thumbsup:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I don't think it will be a stumbling block myself, anyone with half a brain cell knows that the word has changed meaning, for me it's a case of heritage and I belt it out as loud as I can every game, home or away.

If anyone feels insecure about that line then they need a shake and a wake up. It's words to a song, and if fans of others clubs want to mock it then it will only make me sing it louder and prouder. Who gives a **** if others fans find it funny? It's our song, it's unique to us. Let them mock, it should only work to unite us even more.
100% this.

Anyone who feels uncomfortable singing it needs to get over themselves and grow up.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I don't think it will be a stumbling block myself, anyone with half a brain cell knows that the word has changed meaning, for me it's a case of heritage and I belt it out as loud as I can every game, home or away.

If anyone feels insecure about that line then they need a shake and a wake up. It's words to a song, and if fans of others clubs want to mock it then it will only make me sing it louder and prouder. Who gives a **** if others fans find it funny? It's our song, it's unique to us. Let them mock, it should only work to unite us even more.

Very well said.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Change that line to something like "Now open your hearts and play" and more will join in for the whole song.

Frankly, anybody who genuinely feels that "now let your hearts be gay" is a stumbling block isn't worth worrying about.

Jeez. Plenty of clubs sing songs that have really dated old lyrics which are a product of the era in which they were written. Nobody tells their team to "play up!" any more, yet the Greatest Fans In The World at Fratton Park are happy to sing the song without fear of mockery.

Norwich, meanwhile, sing this at their side. I'm going to take a punt here that you didn't know the words until I just typed them, let alone found the time to mock Norwich for the quaintness of them:

Kick off, throw it in, have a little scrimmage,
Keep it low, a splendid rush, bravo, win or die;
On the ball, City, never mind the danger,
Steady on, now’s your chance,
Hurrah! We’ve scored a goal.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Frankly, anybody who genuinely feels that "now let your hearts be gay" is a stumbling block isn't worth worrying about.

Jeez. Plenty of clubs sing songs that have really dated old lyrics which are a product of the era in which they were written. Nobody tells their team to "play up!" any more, yet the Greatest Fans In The World at Fratton Park are happy to sing the song without fear of mockery.

Norwich, meanwhile, sing this at their side. I'm going to take a punt here that you didn't know the words until I just typed them, let alone found the time to mock Norwich for the quaintness of them:

That is HILARIOUS! I always thought that song a tedious dirge but the use of "Bravo", "Steady on" and "Hurrah" is quite simply splendid.

My heart is indeed GAY after reading that.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
sussex by the sea.png

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Can I just say, and people stood by me will testify, that I ALWAYS sing the correct words. And I have no allegiance to sussex at all, but it is just a bloody good rousing marching song!

If people are upset by the word "gay" then that is their problem

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Who on here DOESN'T know the words to our own club song by now (first verse)? And who's to say those who don'g belt it out like others aren't just miserable gits who don';t want to - why assume it's because they don't know the words? I've never encounted anyone at an Albion game who doesn't know the words to SBTS - Mainly cos I don't go around asking people :lol:

Whole argument seems ODD to me. Very, very ODD.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That is HILARIOUS! I always thought that song a tedious dirge but the use of "Bravo", "Steady on" and "Hurrah" is quite simply splendid.

It's a touch bizarre. Doesn't really even have much of a tune, it just sounds like a lot of shouting really.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Technically, [MENTION=29098]Sussaxon[/MENTION], I believe it's "take your time from me", as in your marching pace, rather than the time (of day) #pedant :thumbsup:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

That's fine, but when this thread is mentioning about getting more people to sing it, putting the lyrics up on the screen won't make any difference. I am just suggesting something that will. As I said in my comment. "like it or not..........." :shrug:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can I just say, and people stood by me will testify, that I ALWAYS sing the correct words. And I have no allegiance to sussex at all, but it is just a bloody good rousing marching song!

I'm sure you know all the words to Ilkley Moor b'aht 'at.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm sure you know all the words to Ilkley Moor b'aht 'at.

Unfortunately not, as you found out at Lewes at the last REMF game :)

I know all the words ( tenor line ) to Mozarts Requiem by heart if that is any help

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

We also sing the correct the words too Dave. More and more people joining in too. I think it would take off if we put the words on the screen. The full version gets sung at away games too.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Get the words up on that screen. Just bloody do it. They do it everywhere else. It's not cringey or tinpot or anything else. It's awesome.

We're crying out for a bit of soul back in this club. You can tell people want to make it happen, but with so many thousand fans it seems like it's a very difficult thing to coordinate. Unify people.

"Here's our song. This is how fast you should sing it. These are the lyrics. We sing it as the teams walk out. This is our ANTHEM."

Similar to how the great escape hand-clappy thing brings everyone together, this will to. It's one of the most obvious things I can think of on how to improve the atmostphere at the amex. I just wish the marketing/video people at the club see sense. Instead of blogging about what delights we can be entertained with at half time, why not spend an hour or two making an inspirational video to get the fans warmed up.

Two verses. Original lyrics. Including the word GAY. Watch how good it is. WATCH.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We also sing the correct the words too Dave. More and more people joining in too. I think it would take off if we put the words on the screen. The full version gets sung at away games too.

The more the merrier and If barber is scanning this thread, maybe he should make it so! In the immortal words of that Huddersfield town fan , jean luc Picard

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here