Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky sports

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I spend as much time channel surfing everyday trying to find something decent to watch on my freeview as I did when I had Sky/Virgin. I just do it for no cost now.

Freeview is the way to go and if you can get access to on demand channels even better.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
Sky Go stills offers a monthly ticket at £40 a pop. If you time it right, you only need to sign up for two months in the summer to get the Ashes. I watch it on my desktop. Being with BT, I get their sports ticket anyway.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
How do you go about getting one of these been after one for a while

Il ask around to se if i can get u one, your looking at around 80-100 quid. ( although some1 else might come up on here cheaper for you)
I watch a different film everynight its brill

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I joined Sky at Christmas after leaving Virgin. Got my free dish on wall and box which i wanted and at good price. Will leave again at Christmas unless i get a another good deal. There's no loyalty in these companies. New customers get better deals.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Except loads of pubs have binned off Sky Sports now because of the extortionate prices. My local hasn't got it any more, they wanted £1100 a month for it. I know a couple of others in the locality who used to have it but can't afford it any more.

Even better, you can go down the pub and enjoy a quiet pint without a load of Chelsea plastics getting in your face.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I'm a mug for having Sky Sports, I know I am. And this latest hike really sticks in the throat, because its clearly as a direct consequence of them busting the bank to ludicrous levels on the new Premier League TV deal. Yeah great, 126 matches to BT's 42, but it doesn't mention the fact that they've now lost the Champions League to BT from next season. Thats massive.

I'm on the brink of binning it. BUT - their coverage is first class, I still want it for the cricket and the NFL when that starts up. And Sky Go is bloody brilliant. I can't wait to be watching the Ashes for hours on end out in the garden on my laptop this summer, it would be a real wrench losing that.

Having Sky is like having a really hot girlfriend who you know is a slag and treats you like shit, but you just can't bring yourself to dump her.

I finally had enough of the Sky slag at the start of the New Year so I plucked up some courage and binned her off. She didn't seem that bothered and made very little effort to try and continue the relationship so after 8 years I dumped her and threw all her stuff into the garage, not that she's shown any interest in collecting it. I then got a letter from an old flame out of the blue still claiming to be a virgin and she had some rather saucy offers so I soon shacked up with her. She's not as expensive to maintain as the Sky bird although I suspect once shes got her feet under the table she'll start costing me more! Also she doesn't do some of the nice things that Sky did but shes a bit different and I can certainly live with her for a while, I love surfing the internet with her - so much quicker and better than that slow Sky doris. Funny thing though is that about a week after leaving I got a phone call from Sky asking if there was anything she could do to get back with me, I told her she was too late and I'd moved on -cheeky cow! I still fancy her a bit though despite the new girl being more than adequate, I imagine one day I might see about getting back with her but I wouldn't count on it.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I finally had enough of the Sky slag at the start of the New Year so I plucked up some courage and binned her off. She didn't seem that bothered and made very little effort to try and continue the relationship so after 8 years I dumped her and threw all her stuff into the garage, not that she's shown any interest in collecting it. I then got a letter from an old flame out of the blue still claiming to be a virgin and she had some rather saucy offers so I soon shacked up with her. She's not as expensive to maintain as the Sky bird although I suspect once shes got her feet under the table she'll start costing me more! Also she doesn't do some of the nice things that Sky did but shes a bit different and I can certainly live with her for a while, I love surfing the internet with her - so much quicker and better than that slow Sky doris. Funny thing though is that about a week after leaving I got a phone call from Sky asking if there was anything she could do to get back with me, I told her she was too late and I'd moved on -cheeky cow! I still fancy her a bit though despite the new girl being more than adequate, I imagine one day I might see about getting back with her but I wouldn't count on it.

Sort of post i expect from [MENTION=282]Meade's Ball[/MENTION]

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
We have just had a letter from virginmedia saying that our sky sports package has gone up by another £2.50 a month.

This is another increase that we have had and they say.." Oh there are extra HD channels". Or " you have all the cricket this summer".

It is getting the stage where we are seriously looking at Virgin as we have broadband, phone and XL package and will pay £130ish a month. Difficult to justify this sort of cost.

Sorry I don't understand the OP. So Virgin have upped the price 2.50 a month so you are looking at Virgin as what? As a crap company, as an alternative? If so an alternative to what as you say you are already with them?

I am no sky fan but I am with them and I've had no price hike, in fact I told them I want to drop sky sports next season as they have no Champions League and they gave me a 50% discount. So although I understand the 5 pages of sky bashing and how they are ruining football ( I agree btw) but I don't get why sky gets a bashing after the OP when Virgin charge him £130 a month??
Am I missing something?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Gave up Sky 4 years ago after getting 6 months free as an incentive to stay

BT TV with sport and more football than I want to watch costs me £4 a month and if it went to £5 I'd probably bin it. Better things to spend my money on

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Thought I was going a bit mad when I got the most recent letter saying the price was going up by £4.50 a month - because I remembered the price had already been increased last September as well. I rang them to ask what was going on and why I would be paying more for less (No Champions League). Got into a bizarre argument with a "customer service" person who challenged me to tell her my password for my account. "I have no idea what it is" I said - "well have three guesses" was the reply. "Why ? - I don't know what it is" - "well have three guesses anyway......." etc etc.

When I finally put the phone down and called again to a more reasonable customer service operative, I got the price reduced by £10 a month instead of the £4.50 price rise - which tells me that Sky are just taking the mickey out of those who don't bother to complain. Moral of the story must be - just threaten to leave and they'll drop the price.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Football will eventually eat itself :moo:

This ten times over!

It is fast becoming a sport / recreation that is not affordable to the average working man.

Two weeks ago, we bit the bullet and cancelled Sky after 11 years, pretty much everything we watch, with the exception of football we can get on normal telly / freeview, we now have BT You view for £29 a month which includes our broadband and free landline calls (not that we ever use that we use our mobiles all the time!)
Sky did everything they could to try and keep us but we decided that even with all the deals they were trying to offer us, paying out £70 odd a month was just a waste of money.
We will stick with BT for the contracted year then see if we even need that! personally I am thinking a freeview box and maybe a recording machine will be all we need.

I really am fed up with supporting overpaid premiership players (and the others come to that!)

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
This ten times over!

It is fast becoming a sport / recreation that is not affordable to the average working man.

Two weeks ago, we bit the bullet and cancelled Sky after 11 years, pretty much everything we watch, with the exception of football we can get on normal telly / freeview, we now have BT You view for £29 a month which includes our broadband and free landline calls (not that we ever use that we use our mobiles all the time!)
Sky did everything they could to try and keep us but we decided that even with all the deals they were trying to offer us, paying out £70 odd a month was just a waste of money.
We will stick with BT for the contracted year then see if we even need that! personally I am thinking a freeview box and maybe a recording machine will be all we need.

I really am fed up with supporting overpaid premiership players (and the others come to that!)

You can get some good offers on a freeview box, humax is the best ones to get with recorders built in. You can get them from richer sounds in the clearance section or on the humax website and again they have a clearance section.
You could try freesat if you still have your sky aerial up and the cables coming into the house. It saves a heck load of moneys but then you will need to get the internet as well which can be expensive on its own.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Haven't paid full price for sky for 3yr. In Feb rang them to say I couldn't afford existing deal and am now on half price for 12 months. Any extra packages added to existing one will also be half price. There is no need to pay them full price, dont do it..

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
You can get some good offers on a freeview box, humax is the best ones to get with recorders built in. You can get them from richer sounds in the clearance section or on the humax website and again they have a clearance section.
You could try freesat if you still have your sky aerial up and the cables coming into the house. It saves a heck load of moneys but then you will need to get the internet as well which can be expensive on its own. ��

We have the sky dish, but didn't bother with any other company or box. There are loads of free channels available.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
We have the sky dish, but didn't bother with any other company or box. There are loads of free channels available.

We used to have a sky dish up and used that for freesat and now moved to Freeview.
You get more channels with freesat and as you said loads of free channels

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Ditch it all. I'm paying £20 a month for line rental weekend calls and superfast broadband.

Switch your sky box for a freesat box.

I use Now TV for when I want to watch sky. If you look on eBay you can get vouchers for the TV and movies for about £5 a month.

Sports passes are £10 a week or about £4-5 a day on eBay.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I joined Sky at Christmas after leaving Virgin. Got my free dish on wall and box which i wanted and at good price. Will leave again at Christmas unless i get a another good deal. There's no loyalty in these companies. New customers get better deals.

I'm only with sky for phone and broadband and thought the same, but when I rang up I was pleasantly surprised. They cut by monthly cost from £27.50 to £20.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
You can watch all four channels for a week for £9.99 with NowTV or £6.99 for 24hrs. Ideal if there's a golf tourney, test match or one-off football game you want to watch. I'm not really arsed about watching endless EPL games myself.
That's what I do, I could never justify paying for the whole package, just dip in maybe once a month if there's something I really want to watch.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You can watch all four channels for a week for £9.99 with NowTV or £6.99 for 24hrs. Ideal if there's a golf tourney, test match or one-off football game you want to watch. I'm not really arsed about watching endless EPL games myself.
This.

I will be binning Sky next month, and buying a FreeSat HD box, and a reconditioned X-Box, for the total of 4 months subscription.
That gives me:-

Recordable HD Freeview TV.
Netflix and Now TV on my PS3.
Eurosport (cycling) on the Xbox.

An outlay of less than £10 and access to all Albion TV games im not at.

The thought of spending £1500 a year on TV is horrifying.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yeah great, 126 matches to BT's 42, but it doesn't mention the fact that they've now lost the Champions League to BT from next season. Thats massive.
We're not even going to be in it for the next two seasons, and the way things are going, I doubt we'll qualify for the one after that either.

And Sky Go is bloody brilliant. I can't wait to be watching the Ashes for hours on end out in the garden on my laptop this summer
Seriously, I think you might enjoy your summer more if you just spend hours chilling in the garden and forget about the cricket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here