Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale,,,,,,

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
No way can Stockdale be blamed for the first goal he was left totally exposed and couldn't do much else other than what he done, I can't comment on the second goal as it's the other end of the pitch from where I sit but our defenders looked a bit static from my view.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I have kept goal for a few years and I can tell you I would have got to that ball for the first goal, it was pathetic. This isn't about a witch hunt blaming everything on him but at his moment he is making mistakes, that is undeniable. Hope he turns it around.

Disagree the gap between the attacker and goalkeeper was initially too big to rush out, you do the latter as a keeper and you've made the decision for the attacker easier by allowing him to pick his spot. Stockdale did the right thing, you wait for the attacker to get a bit closer, thus narrowing the angle then you go to the ball.

I'll say it again in a one on one situation the attacker has the advantage, you as the keeper can only react, and once you have committed yourself you then have to rely on your defenders to clear the danger. In this instance the attacker had the option to shoot or play it across the goal and Stockdale had to second guess what he was going to do. He did the right thing in my book.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No way can Stockdale be blamed for the first goal he was left totally exposed and couldn't do much else other than what he done, I can't comment on the second goal as it's the other end of the pitch from where I sit but our defenders looked a bit static from my view.

He pushed a simple shot back into the path of the attacker instead of directing it out to safety for a corner - what more do you need to know?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Agree Germaine messed up but Stockdale had the chance to commit and block that.

Just my opinion mind.

It was a pull back by the attacker and not a shot and it deflected off a Middlesborough player back to another of their players to shoot and score from, how does a GK stop that exactly? At that point he has to rely on the rest of the team to recover quickly, pick up the opponents and make sure they have no chance of getting on the end of any deflections / pullbacks / rebounds. (but they were probably caught out by being too far up the pitch because they weren't expecting Gardner to play a poor pass to Greer who, in trying to keep possession, kept it in play but not under control and they got it and broke quickly.)

If he charged out as some suggest, and if slightly mis-timed or if their forward took a dive, he may have earnt a red card, he made himself big and blocked the direct route to goal.

Second goal yes, he should have pushed the ball away from the danger area or caught it.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Having spread himself at the strikers feet he should have tried to get the ball or at least stop it being crossed not just lay there and watch it.

Do you actually understand goalkeeping? The attacker has control of the ball and he has choices in whether to shoot low, shoot high or play it across goal. All Stockdale can do is narrow the angle and react to the striker's decision, he dives low the striker hits it over him, he doesn't spread himself the striker hits it low past him, he rushes out, striker pushes it past him and tumbles over the keeper. He has to wait to the last second to commit, he is at a disadvantage as a keeper you don't rush out and allow the striker to make a decision.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Disagree the gap between the attacker and goalkeeper was initially too big to rush out, you do the latter as a keeper and you've made the decision for the attacker easier by allowing him to pick his spot. Stockdale did the right thing, you wait for the attacker to get a bit closer, thus narrowing the angle then you go to the ball.

I'll say it again in a one on one situation the attacker has the advantage, you as the keeper can only react, and once you have committed yourself you then have to rely on your defenders to clear the danger. In this instance the attacker had the option to shoot or play it across the goal and Stockdale had to second guess what he was going to do. He did the right thing in my book.

That's your opinion I guess which is fair enough. But watching where I was in the centre of the north and he went to come out and visibly hesitated then when he did finally come out he didn't commit to the challenge. I haven't seen a proper replay of it yet but I'm fairly sure he should have done a lot better with that.

The second I have more sympathy with, I thought the initial save was a good one and it's very difficult when you make a instinct save like that to push it to safety at the same time. Like I said i like the bloke and I don't think he's a bad keeper just looks a little low on confidence.

Quaid

Nov 6, 2011
Not happy with him, time for a rest. What has he done that another couldn't..? Basic fails cost us points. Ankers, although dodgy (and I'm no fan) couldn't do worse imo. Walton?

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I'm losing patience with Stockdale.
There's no excuse for his indecision & poor decision making. He has the perfect stage to impress with minimal pressure & a support willing him to succeed.

At the moment he looks like he'd rather be fishing than playing football, and I'd not be surprised if that were true.

Where does he fish? I only ask because I love fishing but I haven't been doing very well lately and I could do with picking a few more out of the net.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Take the bag off your head please.

Slow to come out, and poor kicking?.........

Probably the fastest keeper off his line anywhere on the planet (he spends more time on the edge of his box than any keeper I have ever seen).
His distribution is world class.
I suppose we could get PIG back to repeatedly kick it into touch if you like.

Hardly seems to make a save because we have dominated almost every game this season, the opposition don't often get to shoot.

This "great Boro" side today managed only 1 shot in the first half.

Can't save what isn't there!!

id rather have a keeper that can stop shots like PiG, than one who is good at distribution any day of the week - his save percentage must be appaling

happy to be proven wrong, and for him to continue in goal, as im sure he is better than how hes playing currently

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
That's your opinion I guess which is fair enough. But watching where I was in the centre of the north and he went to come out and visibly hesitated then when he did finally come out he didn't commit to the challenge. I haven't seen a proper replay of it yet but I'm fairly sure he should have done a lot better with that.

The second I have more sympathy with, I thought the initial save was a good one and it's very difficult when you make a instinct save like that to push it to safety at the same time. Like I said i like the bloke and I don't think he's a bad keeper just looks a little low on confidence.

I still play a lot of 5-a-side where I often have to deal with one on ones. He moved forward initially but stopped on the edge of his 6 yard box to narrow the angle for a possible shot but didn't commit himself because the gap was too large, he only moved when that angle was narrowed further by the forward moving closer to the goal and actually succeeded in blocking the angle for a shot thus making the attacker play it across goal where you hope you defence will deal with it.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Is Tomek Kuszczak still sulking somewhere in Oldham?

How about telling him to get a grip of himself and giving him another chance? Perhaps by now he has already understood that his best chance of playing in the Premier League is with BHA.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
His all round decision making has been really poor so far. I don't even think it is a confidence thing as he doesn't seem to lack that.

He says he is staying off Twitter for a while, which might help him focus on his game:

David Stockdale ‏@stockogk1313 2h2 hours ago
I'm having a break from Twitter too many negative comments toward me and my team mates we will be working hard to make things right

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here