Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Were you around in 1983

Dumseagull

Jun 13, 2012
Lancing
I was in intense training to be a seagulls fan at that time, learning to walk, so I could walk to my seat on match days.. Learning to talk so I could chant SEAGULLS!!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
The problem for many fans was they'd had too much, much too young. Or something similar. After several seasons of big wins against inferior teams, being on the wrong end of a couple of drubbings and scrambling the odd point against Stoke and Coventry wasn't quite the same.

But humdrum? Beating Palace 3-0 on Boxing Day at the Goldstone and over Easter at Selhurst, putting four past Man City twice, doing the double over European champions Nottingham Forest, winning at Anfield in successive seasons, beating Arsenal at home two years in a row, beating Keegan's Saints at The Dell, 3-3 draws at Coventry and home to Liverpool, home wins over Tottenham, West Ham, Everton, Villa the season they won the league ... yeah, four pretty dull years when I think back.

good post

the palace game boxing day was memorable,I was in the South stand,remember thinking I'd never seen the north stand so rammed and the goal celebrations live long in the memory

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can honestly say I cried as a kid when we lost 4-0 in the replay, does seem a long time ago now

I distinctly recall my father pointing out I was quite down beat after the first game. He knew that I knew that was our best shot. The replay was awful.

I don't come on here too often but I wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading through this discussion - bloody marvellous!! It brings back so many great memories and I'm sure I would recognise the faces of many of you from the good old bad days!!! I maintain a season ticket and get to a handful of games a season but health prevents me from travelling as often as I would like. Keep the comments coming!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I guess it is quite difficult to explain to the youngsters just how big the FA Cup and the accompanying TV coverage was for a young fan absolutely mind blowing, it was THE game of the year bar none.

All that mamby pamby European football was OK, but the FA cup was the one.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I don't come on here too often but I wanted to say how much I've enjoyed reading through this discussion - bloody marvellous!! It brings back so many great memories and I'm sure I would recognise the faces of many of you from the good old bad days!!! I maintain a season ticket and get to a handful of games a season but health prevents me from travelling as often as I would like. Keep the comments coming!
Thanks for this. Yes, good old days looking back, but realistically in terms of footballing success, mainly mediocre with the odd few good seasons thrown in, the period 1978 to 1983 excepted. Fully agree -this thread brings back memories. You don't say how health prevents you from coming, nor do you have to, of course, but would it be possible to use one of the many Seagulls coaches, which would mean less walking, if this is the problem. I am 65 in January, and would hate the thought of not being able to get to the Amex. Fortunately, I am Ok, but you never know. Fortunately Albion feature quite a bit on Sky these next few weeks, and if the momentum is kept, then presumably more games will be televised in the spring -assuming you can get to a Sky TV of course.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I guess it is quite difficult to explain to the youngsters just how big the FA Cup and the accompanying TV coverage was for a young fan absolutely mind blowing, it was THE game of the year bar none.

All that mamby pamby European football was OK, but the FA cup was the one.

Fully agree. It is such a shame to see the attendances in the earlier rounds, indicating lack of interest. Gus never really seemed to take cup games that seriously.

Big Bill

Banned
Nov 4, 2015
Fully agree. It is such a shame to see the attendances in the earlier rounds, indicating lack of interest. Gus never really seemed to take cup games that seriously.
Arguably the key reason for the 39 year war with Palace was because the FA Cup was taken so seriously.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think the highest we got to was 5th after a 1-0 win at Wolves in Sept 81. Remember the game, it was dull but we always won at Molineux.

Andy Ritchie scored with a 25 yarder in that match.

We had to be fairly sharp on our heels after the match as the police disappeared and the locals were a bit hostile. Great way to spend a Tuesday night though.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Talk of the cup run brings back so many memories. Thinking we'd get stuffed at the Newcastle replay, the trouncing of Man City, disbelief at the result from Anfield, tension in the Norwich game, the huge crowd at the Clock End at Highbury and going nuts when Case hit the first goal, the Moseley save, leaving the ground and not knowing who we would play in the final and then hearing someone say "I'd rather have Man U come at us than Arsenal sit back and go for the one-nil", the fuss about Foster, all of the final day emotion, not knowing it was Stephens who had scored the equaliser because the PA couldn't be heard over the crowd noise the scoreboard didn't show the scorers and the replay disappointment. Great, great times and I still have my Semi Final, Final and Replay tickets and programmes framed in my study.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
When Mike Bailey was sacked as manager because we were playing unattractive football and winning 1 -0 and were 6th in the top division. That was pre 1983

Apart from the fact that we were in the relegation zone, had conceded five to West Brom and Luton, four to Watford, Forest and Liverpool, one win in six and were playing to sub 10,000 attendances when he was sacked I couldn't agree with you more.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Can honestly say I cried as a kid when we lost 4-0 in the replay, does seem a long time ago now

It was my 28th season of following the Albion.
And my ambition had been achieved in seeing my club play in the top division and being able to support them in a Wembley cup final, something I always thought would never happen all those years previous in the old 3rd division south days.

really,I'm mildly shocked BG

Easter 82 beat them 2-1

then September of the following season 1-0,Gerry Ryan got the winner

Dont remember either of those games and yes it was Crumplin who marked Barnes out of the game and I am getting confused with the same at Old Trafford when Chivers did the same to Giggs, think we lost 1-0.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Were you around when the Albion were last in the top division.?

Amazing to think that anyone under 40 will have no memory of it. Makes me feel bloody old.:smile:

Let's hope they can put it right come next May.

Seems fairly standard to me, unless the youngsters are all Benjamin Button!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here