Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

7-1 Why the hell can't England do that?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Leaving aside the fact that, man for man, the German players are pretty much all better than their English counterparts, the core of the German team (6 or 7 players) have been playing together internationally since they were in the junior German international teams. It was a deliberate decision to keep this core group together right through to the full international team. The dividends are now there for all to see.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I've said it before but it's all down to playing with freedom and good decision making, we play like robots and are coached in exactly what to do and how to do it. Again, I'm not advocating the abolition of coaching, but let players play, it's what they do..... All this bollards about tippy tappy posession football, formations etc, it's hogwash

I think you will find that is how Germany played including a bit of tippy tappy bollards inside the Brazilian penalty area before slotting home another goal .......

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
That's nonsense.

The German performance last night was staggeringly well organised. that doesn't happen by accident - by telling them to just 'go out and play'.

I'm talking about coaching, not the management of a game, you can absolutely see that they play without fear and their decision making is clear and uncomplicated - Being organised doesn't have to be at the expense of 'flair'. We worry too much about particular formations and style of play. It was clear heads, confidence, skill AND organisation that won the game last night, not formation or a particular style.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
All the talk has been about how good Germany were and how bad Brazil were.
If the Brazilians had taken their chances at the start of the second half, it could easily have been 5-4 with 35 minutes to go.
Don't think the Germans would have looked so comfortable then!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I think you will find that is how Germany played including a bit of tippy tappy bollards inside the Brazilian penalty area before slotting home another goal .......

Missing my point - All I read is about tippy tappy v long ball, but it's so much more complex than that. Most good teams use both short and direct passing, it's how, when and how well you decide to do it that's important. Couple of Germany's goals started from massive boots from the keeper.....

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
All the talk has been about how good Germany were and how bad Brazil were.
If the Brazilians had taken their chances at the start of the second half, it could easily have been 5-4 with 35 minutes to go.
Don't think the Germans would have looked so comfortable then!

Stupid logic. IF one of those chances had gone in, they wouldn't have had the other chances to score. The game would have played out differently.

It was a beating.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Why oh Why can't England do that - Similar League set ups in both countries I don't believe individually Germany's players are that much better than ours. Surely give it a few years to pull together and maybe England could get it right.

You didn't make the trip to Munich September 1 2001 then? Good fun

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Leaving aside the fact that, man for man, the German players are pretty much all better than their English counterparts, the core of the German team (6 or 7 players) have been playing together internationally since they were in the junior German international teams. It was a deliberate decision to keep this core group together right through to the full international team. The dividends are now there for all to see.

They blooded the likes of Ozil, Neuer, Muller, Kroos, Khedira and Boateng at the 2010 World Cup. And still got to the semi finals. England tried similar this time around with a load of new faces and "exciting young prospects" and went out in the group

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I've said it before but it's all down to playing with freedom and good decision making, we play like robots and are coached in exactly what to do and how to do it. Again, I'm not advocating the abolition of coaching, but let players play, it's what they do..... All this bollards about tippy tappy posession football, formations etc, it's hogwash

This actually makes the OP look sensible. Fair play.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Dont get me wrong, Germany are a good team but they were arguably 2nd best in the last 16 game, i think Brazil were horribly poor last night but it was the fact Germany just kept going at them is which sets them apart.How many teams would have just kept going for the jugular like they did last night?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Germany have had a better team than us since 1970. They're far superior in all aspect. I dread drawing them tbh, a quality side who delight in tearing us to pieces,

Not quite true - they were utter toilet from 2000-2002. Thing is they actually did some thing about it rather than talked it over and fogot about it.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Missing my point - All I read is about tippy tappy v long ball, but it's so much more complex than that. Most good teams use both short and direct passing, it's how, when and how well you decide to do it that's important. Couple of Germany's goals started from massive boots from the keeper.....

I think that the successful longer pass is more about movement, strategy, organisation which should be down to coaching, our real issue is the short passing which requires technique.

All teams might be able to position players and kick the ball a long way ( some better than others admittedly ) but we cannot retain possession in tight areas and 'pop' the ball around like the Germans, Dutch etc.

The problem is that we are technically inept compared to other nations, once you have technically become an expert then its up to the coaching staff and manager to administer the style of play preferred.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
All teams might be able to position players and kick the ball a long way ( some better than others admittedly ) but we cannot retain possession in tight areas and 'pop' the ball around like the Germans, Dutch etc.

Yep, but I think that's as much a mental thing, our players just sh*t themselves when under pressure on the ball.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Dont get me wrong, Germany are a good team but they were arguably 2nd best in the last 16 game, i think Brazil were horribly poor last night but it was the fact Germany just kept going at them is which sets them apart.How many teams would have just kept going for the jugular like they did last night?

I actually think we eased off on them considerably after the fifth goal went in.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Yep, but I think that's as much a mental thing, our players just sh*t themselves when under pressure on the ball.

Perhaps, but thats down to their early football experience.

We have created an early experience environment where young footballers are not encouraged to pass or receive the football.

This weekend go to a local tournament, wait for the semi final and take a look what those 8 year olds experience.

Parents thronged around a small pitch, maybe even two deep.

The greatest cheer will be when a youngsters boots it, heads it or tackles someone, god forbid if a little one tries to receive a pass from a defender and loses possession.

It just isnt tolerated, but I presume this is where Academys step in.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Perhaps, but thats down to their early football experience.

We have created an early experience environment where young footballers are not encouraged to pass or receive the football.

This weekend go to a local tournament, wait for the semi final and take a look what those 8 year olds experience.

Parents thronged around a small pitch, maybe even two deep.

The greatest cheer will be when a youngsters boots it, heads it or tackles someone, god forbid if a little one tries to receive a pass from a defender and loses possession.

It just isnt tolerated, but I presume this is where Academys step in.

I entirely agree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here