Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Jamie Oliver jerk rice controversy

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Can't be arsed to read all of this, I just want to know if I can wear by Hawaian shirt.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
It's like a ****ing virus, picking up on Jamie's mis-use of the word 'jerk' as if it helps anyone of Jamaican origin one tiny bit. It doesn't do anything apart from put people off entering into serious conversations about race/cultural issues.

Not as bad as as the girl sent home from school for wearing braided hair for the same reason..
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/mar/18/schools.education

I think 'cultural appropriation' is nothing more than people showing "cultural appreciation", like white people who wear dreadlocks or white singers who rap in an afro-american style, or Blues bands who are not black, white reggae bands etc etc etc etc etc..................

Like Jamies 'Jerk', all not the "real thing" but loved by the people who want to share and enjoy these cultural styles.

I think we are being sold a pup.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can't be arsed to read all of this, I just want to know if I can wear by Hawaian shirt.
yes, quite sure no native Hawaian would claim them.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8574449 said:
Can't be assed to read all of this thread but I'm white and own a restaurant that serves Jerk Chicken. Am I in trouble?
yes. change to "spicy" chiken immedatly.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
JO is a pub cook who's done well. Good luck to him. He needed it to get where he is on cooking talent.

There are very few Italian Italian restaurants round here. I cook better Italian food than any 'Italian' restaurant in Shoreham. (That's not difficult or a boast BTW!)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I can't imagine that Dawn Butler MP was a fan of the Two Ronnies

[yt]nxmpmXGetQc[/YT]

You can’t show that sort of stuff. We used laugh at that. Strangely having watched it again I still did.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
These people are a bunch of pathetic sad idiots. That reminds me, better make a complaint about the puppets in the Dolmio adverts.
Yeah I don't remember ever seeing them in the Muppets Christmas Carol!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I kind of think that Jamie knew he was tapping into the Jamaican Jerk cooking though, which is a style of cooking. Don't you?

It sounds like he's just misused the word.

Absolutely. So rather than him committing a trading standards breach, it's more just about him not using the correct ingredients. So back to my point, this should be about him being a sh1t chef rather than having any racial undertones. Should have been ... "Oliver is sh1t, doesn't even know how to make a Jerk flavouring!", rather than the storm it has become. Some people are too quick to play the race/sex/religion card in arguments and all that does is weaken the power of that card when it should be an important one!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I agree. However, jerk things are not sufficiently specific for it to be a real issue. Nor is Jamaica part of a UK trading bloc, so bollocks to them. UB40 and Sting can prance however they wish. If it were Cheddar cheese made in a warehouse in Faversham, or Champagne fermented in Lewes, however then you'd have the EC all over you for violation of the 'protected geographical status' rules.

You can make a cheese in Plovdiv and call it Cheddar if you want. Nobody could do a thing. Call it West Country Farmhouse Cheddar and you might have a problem.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Absolutely. So rather than him committing a trading standards breach, it's more just about him not using the correct ingredients. So back to my point, this should be about him being a sh1t chef rather than having any racial undertones. Should have been ... "Oliver is sh1t, doesn't even know how to make a Jerk flavouring!", rather than the storm it has become. Some people are too quick to play the race/sex/religion card in arguments and all that does is weaken the power of that card when it should be an important one!

I agree.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
You can make a cheese in Plovdiv and call it Cheddar if you want. Nobody could do a thing. Call it West Country Farmhouse Cheddar and you might have a problem.

If you lived in a farmhouse in Bordeaux and made a cheddar, could you call it West Country Farmhouse Cheddar? Does it matter which country you are in?

:)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

That's fine, just so long as UB40 don't call the watered down shite they've been peddaling for donkey's years "reggae". :lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s an interesting discussion. And removing the racial element, for example I do have a bit of an issue with people who wear band t-shirts for fashion reasons. I’ve seen Exodus, I doubt Beckham even knows which country they come from let alone listens to their music. How many people wearing Ramones tees can name a song? Seems a bit false, dishonest to me, and surely that’s wrong? In football terms it’s plastic; a bit like the microwaveable tray Jamie’s jerk rice comes in. Walk the talk and have a basic grasp of your subject matter.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It’s an interesting discussion. And removing the racial element, for example I do have a bit of an issue with people who wear band t-shirts for fashion reasons. I’ve seen Exodus, I doubt Beckham even knows which country they come from let alone listens to their music. How many people wearing Ramones tees can name a song? Seems a bit false, dishonest to me, and surely that’s wrong? In football terms it’s plastic; a bit like the microwaveable tray Jamie’s jerk rice comes in. Walk the talk and have a basic grasp of your subject matter.

Martin Freeman has had a lot of highlights in his acting career. Personally, I don't think he has done any finer work than this

https://youtu.be/cqK-i6KSY88

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Mad how this is bigger news than the gun and knife crime in London this week

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8574449 said:
Can't be assed to read all of this thread but I'm white and own a restaurant that serves Jerk Chicken. Am I in trouble?

I think you might just be able to get away with it if you are indeed half Hawaiian, half Greek, presumably full English, live in Costa Rica and have a restaurant that sells a Jamaican staple.

Either that or you'll be first against the wall...

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
If you lived in a farmhouse in Bordeaux and made a cheddar, could you call it West Country Farmhouse Cheddar? Does it matter which country you are in?

:)

Only for certain foods.
Some place names have a protected status... so it's only "Champagne" when it's from the Champagne Region in France. Otherwise it's sparkling wine.
For another example "Aberdeen Angus" beef has restricted use. It needs to have been reared in Scotland for at least 9 months before being slaughtered (if I remember correctly).
West Country Farmhouse Cheddar almost certainly isn't restricted, so the answer would probably be yes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here