Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FTSE100 is 10% higher than 1 month ago

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The FTSE250 was up slightly today (as it was yesterday). Mainly because of the pound bounce following confirmation of the new PM. Also due to May's statement that she will not trigger article 50 until next year.

As I said on the first page: check again on December 31st once second/third quarter results have been posted. The FTSE100 will have dropped a thousand points.
I'd expect the 250 to drop more than that, though this depends more on the performance of Sterling (not Raheem - then we'd really be screwed) and the BoE than anything else.

I have been quietly waiting to bounce this, fairplay to [MENTION=267]TSB[/MENTION] he nailed his colours to the mast and dated his prediction from 12th July 2016 for 31st December 2016, but in someways it empitimises the Remainers psyche and overall undue pessimism.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Must be worth another bounce with both the 100 & 250 at ever higher record levels.

Emperor's new clothes or reasons to be cheerful.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Must be worth another bounce with both the 100 & 250 at ever higher record levels.

Emperor's new clothes or reasons to be cheerful.

Inflation rising, interest rates for savers at record lows, jobs under threat due to the £ weakness against $ (Unilever/Kraft) and Peugeot buy out of Euro GM, yeah all is going swimmingly....

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Inflation rising, interest rates for savers at record lows, jobs under threat due to the £ weakness against $ (Unilever/Kraft) and Peugeot buy out of Euro GM, yeah all is going swimmingly....

You forgot to mention the expected job losses at Ford's Bridgend plant, and reading the analysis, if tariff's are introduced on motor parts then there seems little reason to keep it open, bearing in mind all the engines are exported to assembly plants outside the UK

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
You forgot to mention the expected job losses at Ford's Bridgend plant, and reading the analysis, if tariff's are introduced on motor parts then there seems little reason to keep it open, bearing in mind all the engines are exported to assembly plants outside the UK

Yes not good news but the actual jobs cut will be 1100 over 5 years .. i wonder how much of that is natural wastage ? People love to paint a really bleak picture !

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Eurotunnel bullish over prospects despite Brexit - RTRS

01-Mar-2017 06:31
PARIS, March 1 (Reuters) - Channel tunnel operator Eurotunnel GETP.PA was bullish over its prospects despite Britain's vote to leave the European Union, predicting a further increase in profits and dividends this year and next year.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Yes not good news but the actual jobs cut will be 1100 over 5 years .. i wonder how much of that is natural wastage ? People love to paint a really bleak picture !

there's only 1700 odd working there, so 2/3 of the workforce, a bit more than natural wastage I'd suggest. I'm not a doommonger, there's plenty of positive news as well, just the picture is not as rosy as some ultra brexiteers would have us believe

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

1,160 jobs are at risk in Bridgend, that's not painting a picture, that's a fact. Whether that's a achieved through 'natural wastage' is, at a macro level, a moot point, the jobs are gone.

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
there's only 1700 odd working there, so 2/3 of the workforce, a bit more than natural wastage I'd suggest. I'm not a doommonger, there's plenty of positive news as well, just the picture is not as rosy as some ultra brexiteers would have us believe

Agree with that and it is also not as gloomy as the remain camp would have you believe

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Agree with that and it is also not as gloomy as the remain camp would have you believe

Absolutely, the picture is far more nuanced, probably more positive than was expected by the leave camp, but there is plenty of uncertainty in the medium to long term. I avoid the Brexit thread as the 2 sides are so far apart neither can acknowledge the others point of view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here