Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would getting us promoted to the PL make Hughton our greatest ever manager?

albionite

May 20, 2009
Remember the HYYPIA season? He has turned us around from that mess!

Had to look up his name to see what he is doing now.
Looks like no one one wants him as a manager after taking Zurich from 3rd to last place.
Truly awful manager who would be on the list as one of our worst.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Steve Gritt for me, working under pressure, fans on his back, criminal owners, club on its knees and players that were not winning games.

We should always remember where the club was and what Steve did for us.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'd say that if we do go up and if he keeps us there, then he will be. It's a tie at the moment.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Nah, nowhere near covers it....imo. Nice is an overused and not very expressive word. Likeable would be nearer but still wouldn't cover it.

Simpatico also implies that someone or something fits, like a combination of sympathetic and likeable.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Most successful yes. Greatest, not sure.

He's in the conversation, certainly, but he started this journey with the basis of a good team (badly managed) and excellent facilities and support, which cannot be said for any of Gritt, Adams or Poyet when they took over, and what each of them achieved was fantastic in its own way.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Most successful yes. Greatest, not sure.

He's in the conversation, certainly, but he started this journey with the basis of a good team (badly managed) and excellent facilities and support, which cannot be said for any of Gritt, Adams or Poyet when they took over, and what each of them achieved was fantastic in its own way.

If humility to all his club colleagues comes into it, Poyet wouldn't even get a mention.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Mullery and Hughton are chalk and cheese in management style. Mullers put the fear of God in the players, and that is what was required in that era.

Mullery was fortunate in that he inherited a strong team from Peter Taylor, that didn't miss by much in 76. He will remain top dog - for now - in my book as he won 2 promotions in 3 seasons. Remember, we had only spent a handful of seasons outside of the bottom 2 divisions when he took us to the promised land. As a Club, Hughton has had a much sounder footing (infrastructure; finance ) on which to build success.

CH has every opportunity to push on and overtake Mullers by establishing us in the PL.

PG

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Mike Bailey in terms of achievement of HIGHEST league placing is the BESTEST , Hughton hasn't managed us in the TOP flight yet so is at the moment THIRD

But not a DULLARD any more Ernest ? That's an achievement at least and I am happy with that coming from your good self

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Different era and Hughton is more like our director of football. The offside rule has changed and back then you could get away with passing back to the keeper and wearing tight shorts. Lots of managers have got teams promoted so Mullery is special to us but Hughton, unless a disaster happens, has promoted teams twice and was very unlucky last year..

If we end up winning the championship it will be the biggest thing we have won.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
He would be the best manger since i have followed Albion without question,better than Mullery?

Well here is a video of future Palace manager Malcolm Allison vs future Brighton manager Alan Mullery.....

You decide-1970 Match of the Day..

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
It's clearly as good as Mullery getting us up in '79 and given the huge difference in resources available to a lot of other teams in this league it's arguable that it's been a much more difficult achievement this time around. I think he's our greatest.

Me Too !
Hope he stays for ever and ever , Amen !

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that it is disrespectful to both AM and CH both employed by the club at the moment, as any manager can only beat what is put in front of him and his team and both have done fhat.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Poyet Chris H are my favorites but my number 1 is Steve Gritt and the great escape.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It has to be said that Mullery didn't have much success after leaving Brighton, while Hughton has also done very well at Newcastle, Norwich and Birmingham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here