Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Booing Akpom

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
It's now written in the stars that Akpom will score the decisive goal that wins us promotion, thus turning him from villain to lifelong legend.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
El Pres is correct. Booing is unlikely to motivate him. Cheering any half-decent thing he does might gee him up. If he plays we have to give him at least one more chance to steam into a few meaningless challenges at least.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It looks as if Baldock is still injured for tomorrow, so the chances are that Akpom will play.

I'd rather play Murray and Hemed, or just one up front personally, but if he comes onto the pitch I'll be giving the whole team total support.

If someone can show me how booing one of your own players (especially one starting a game for the first time) is beneficial then I'm happy to reconsider.

I see Glenn Murray has called those who booed Akpom 'fickle' in the Argus today, so perhaps GM should be booed too? He didn't clap the fans at Brentford six years ago either, so has history of disrespecting some of the Albion's finest supporters.

I didn't and won't boo and I doubt he will be booed from the off, but if he saunters around looking as disinterested as he did against Blackburn making no more than a token effort to close players down, whilst watching old man Murray and Knocky working their socks off, I suggest he will be roundly booed when he is, inevitably, subbed.

it was the complete lack of effort against Blackburn that had some of the crowd turn on him. Unforgiveable and I am surprised GM is publically backing him tbh :shrug:

Really hope Murray and Hemed start and that is not something I ever expected to type, unless of course Murray is not fit and then we will have Hemed and Akpom starting.......

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Just 500 people boo'ing will sound quite loud around the stadium. It wasn't very many considering the attendance.

I can't really condemn them though, as I thought it was a totally disinterested performance while his teamates fought tooth and nail.

Personally I got more angry at him when he was sat on his ass against Ipswich in the last few mins when we were frantically trying to win the game, and had to have his teamates pick him up off the ****ing ground.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Pretty sure he got booed for having a hernia, and not reacting well to chants about his wife. BIT different......

Throughout his first spell with us he was accused not trying, some suggesting he only tried when he was looking for a new contract, etc. even before some fans turned on him for not applauding them after they sang songs about his wife. The worst period of 'not trying' criticism (thinking in particular of a leeds game) was explained by the hernia, but there were other periods when it was 'just his style'. (I think there was also a period that some suggested there was ill feeling between him and Dean Wilkins).

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I still remember now,another Arsenal loanee from a a few years ago. It was Paul Dickov and the amount of effort from him was terrific .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It looks as if Baldock is still injured for tomorrow, so the chances are that Akpom will play.

I'd rather play Murray and Hemed, or just one up front personally, but if he comes onto the pitch I'll be giving the whole team total support.

If someone can show me how booing one of your own players (especially one starting a game for the first time) is beneficial then I'm happy to reconsider.

I see Glenn Murray has called those who booed Akpom 'fickle' in the Argus today, so perhaps GM should be booed too? He didn't clap the fans at Brentford six years ago either, so has history of disrespecting some of the Albion's finest supporters.

GM once committed another capital crime. A couple of season into his Withdean contract, his head was allegerdly turned by an offer from elsewhere. Allied to his disgraceful Berbatov/Frank Worthington style languid posture, this led to a couple of thousand Withdeaners hating him as punishment.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Throughout his first spell with us he was accused not trying, some suggesting he only tried when he was looking for a new contract, etc. even before some fans turned on him for not applauding them after they sang songs about his wife. The worst period of 'not trying' criticism (thinking in particular of a leeds game) was explained by the hernia, but there were other periods when it was 'just his style'. (I think there was also a period that some suggested there was ill feeling between him and Dean Wilkins).

Bullying (not so Wendy) Wilkins put Murray down in front of the squad durinb a training session, playing to the gallery. Wilkins got sensored by the Board for that.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
He sauntered around the pitch like he'd been at an all night party on the Friday night.

Hopefully he gets an early night tonight.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Big difference is that Murray always looked like a quality forward and just had a laconic style and was a bit petulant. Akpom showed absolutely nothing on Saturday, looked like a ringer for a footballer.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
The booing was shameful. From what I've seen he struggles at champ level. This nonsense about not trying is bullshit, it's a tough league, high standard and he's struggling, not going to help booing him

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Was there really booing? Not good dat

It usually happens that someone coming into the team after a layoff always takes a few games to get up to speed. Certainly true of Kayal lately, Knockaert after his dad died, and others too. I think we can give Akpom a bit of slack on his first game, it will take him a while to get up to speed. Unfortunately for him he won't get that opportunity

We will be watching his work-rate tomorrow night, so I too will give him the benefit of some considerable doubt.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Aside from incidents already mentioned, there was one break in play where Rosenior had a word with him. Obviously no idea what he was saying though.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The booing was shameful. From what I've seen he struggles at champ level. This nonsense about not trying is bullshit, it's a tough league, high standard and he's struggling, not going to help booing him

So tough you can't close players down? Not buying that.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
So tough you can't close players down? Not buying that.

Honestly, I think he's out of his depth at championship level. I also think Wilson will never make it at the top level but Akpom is considerably worse

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here