Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spanish Dave - What exactly does he do?!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Er, no he's not, he's on the bench. He has been absolutely dreadful this year and in many ways it saddens me, as he has gone from potential legend status after Palace to (in my eyes) a very mediocre player. There is no denial he does have good technical ability (great goal last weekend and also Donny away), but he has not made any regular contribution and his contract should not be renewed.

Contradiction from you there, apparently he was dreadful last year, but actually he could have attained legendary status after Palace? I'm confused.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Er, no he's not, he's on the bench. He has been absolutely dreadful this year and in many ways it saddens me, as he has gone from potential legend status after Palace to (in my eyes) a very mediocre player. There is no denial he does have good technical ability (great goal last weekend and also Donny away), but he has not made any regular contribution and his contract should not be renewed.

Be very careful Teddy the Spanish Dave Lovin will get you! Apparently as long as you can make 2 passes against Leicester, score a decent goal against Donny and Birmingham you are great player that will soon (over half way through the season) show your true potential!! Looking forward to this fantastic surge in form we will see from now on!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Contradiction from you there, apparently he was dreadful last year, but actually he could have attained legendary status after Palace? I'm confused.

One game, one goal. Against most hated rivals, no contradiction. Also, read again 'this year' as in 'this season', nothing mentioned about last season, when he was ok, though went missing when we needed him.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Be very careful Teddy the Spanish Dave Lovin will get you! Apparently as long as you can make 2 passes against Leicester, score a decent goal against Donny and Birmingham you are great player that will soon (over half way through the season) show your true potential!! Looking forward to this fantastic surge in form will see from now on!

Precisely. Maybe they purchased the Spanish Dave - t-shirts..... :smile:

Though must admit I nearly did after Palace........

Hope you are right about him playing well to the end of the season.......

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Name me one other player in our squad who has his vision? Not to mention the technique to match: I give you that ball for Barnes' first against Leicester.

His second assist to Conway in that game wasn't too shabby either.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
My apologies, I misunderstood you, by the way he has the third most appearances in the side this year.

No need to apologise, only a discussion....:smile:

He may have started the 3rd most times and arguably has been in the playing squad the most including subs. But of those starts how many times has he been withdrawn?

I think I read 15 somewhere, which if true, is really not a great statistic.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
No need to apologise, only a discussion....:smile:

He may have started the 3rd most times and arguably has been in the playing squad the most including subs. But of those starts how many times has he been withdrawn?

I think I read 15 somewhere, which if true, is really not a great statistic.

Too much detail for me, I just feel he is more valuable to our team than others think. Have I offended the Totton Seagull in some way? He's very cynical tonight.

I remember Teddy Maybank scoring on his debut at the Goldstone after only in a few minutes right in front of us in the North Stand. Got in at the near post and poked it in from a yard out!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Better comparison would be last season vs this season.

Compare him with last season and this season to mid-Jan would be a partially fair test.

I've not seen a great deal of him this season, but what I have seen, I think he is decent. Unrealistic expectations want every cross to be a chance. His distribution is no worse than a lot of players in the league above.

We haven't carried anyone to sixth with an injury ravaged side, have we?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Too much detail for me, I just feel he is more valuable to our team than others think. Have I offended the Totton Seagull in some way? He's very cynical tonight.

I remember Teddy Maybank scoring on his debut at the Goldstone after only in a few minutes right in front of us in the North Stand. Got in at the near post and poked it in from a yard out!

Yes, I remember that too. Scored at Blackpool in the next game as well, crucial goal at Luton and also our first ever goal in the old Division 1.......... Not everyone liked him either, the Ashley Barnes of his day.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Players are leaving in droves & we are discussing whether a player who dosent want to leave merits his place in our team.
It is fair to say that he form has been up & down but we all know that as long as he is on the pitch he has the ability to make something happen.
Let's face it leonardo has not set the world alight since his injury.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
[MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] - I would be interested to know what Spanish Dave averaged for his online ratings last year. Pretty please. :)

His Average for 2013 was 6.05 (47 appearances)

Better comparison would be last season vs this season.

His average last season: 6.50 (35 appearances)
Last season through to January 1st (v Ipswich, league match 25 + 1 cup): 6.12 (11 appearances)

His average so far this season (25 league + 2 cup): 5.33 (23 appearances)

Though personally I think his performances have been better than his ratings have received because some people have already decided he isn't going to play wel, so an average or even slightly above average performance isn't enough to change their minds, but that's just my own opinion on his low ratings.

David Lopez 2014.01.17.jpg

Last edited:

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
His Average for 2013 was 6.05 (47 appearances)

Last season through to January 1st (v Ipswich, league match 25 + 1 cup): 6.12 (11 appearances)

Though personally I think his performances have been better than his ratings have received because some people have already decided he isn't going to play wel, so an average or even slightly above average performance isn't enough to change their minds, but that's just my own opinion on his low ratings.

View attachment 50333

What's that, he's ECG? :)

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
What ever he has done recently, tomorrow he had better have a blinder - with a goal or two please

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Thanks Acker fantastic stuff. I think there is a tendency for NSC members to make up their minds prior to kick off (see Barnes), but in the case of Spanish Dave this feels about right.

Of course interestingly last season he kicked on, during the last third of the season, so lets hope it repeats itself.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Against Leicester I remember Lopez putting in a decent cross in and Barnes not timing his run right and the supporters, moaning at the cross.

Not like Vicente who could the ball at Barnes feet so he could not miss. But not all defences are that generous and the obvious ball gets cut out easily.

I don't think the Macca runs are good enough either but at least he will distract the opposing defence and give the other striker, Ulloa, more room. It is difficult to find the pass/crosss when Ulloa is marked by two or three defenders.

I am reserving judgment until we get a second striker. Buckley has the same problem. With only Ulloa heavily marked, the defenders are in a good position to make the crosses look naff.

Corners could be better.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
MoM v Wigan
Lovely assist v Hull
Scores the only goal v Millwall

Seems he's on his way back. Frustrating that he needs half a season, but if he's starting to peak now (along with Bruno) we could be in for a fantastic end to the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here