Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poll: British, English, Sussex or don't care?

Are you British, English or Sussex?

• British

Votes: 30 21.7%
  • English

Votes: 59 42.8%
  • Other (e.g. Scottish, Welsh etc)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Sussex

Votes: 18 13.0%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 28 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
My surname links back to the Norman invasion so really I'm part French. I do like cheese and wine and I'm quite proud of that. Also I'm scared of the cold so that makes me Southern.

Are you sure? The Normans were descendants from Viking invasions of West Francia, which now part of France, so you may not be as French as you think. Even West Francia (pre Normandy) was occupied by the Franks who were of Germanic tribal origin.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Despite a perfectly valid vote by the inhabitants to stay British ? Let's not worry about democracy, it's outdated and very over rated !

For me :

I'm proud to be British
I'm proud to be English
I'm proud to be from Sussex

If people have a problem with that ....... then tough titties.

The Malvinas are x,000 kilometres [fill in the blank] from these isles. Such examples of colonialism are currently being perpetrated by Putin and all his plain-clothed operatives in the western Ukraine as we type, having done so in the Crimea a few weeks back.
I'm all for democracy and would value it far more highly than those things you've listed as being proud of, but wouldn't reduce it to voting (which is an aristocratic device) and think that colonialism is categorically a bad idea.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
I was born in England, So I am English. Am I proud of being English, no, I couldn't give a **** where I was born I am proud of the person I am not the place I was born.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
There is a point here - As we're discovering, 'proud' means different things to different people and probably more so in different languages and cultures. These results may reflect that. I love England and the UK, but I would be a no on a 'pride' poll. I think that's a POSITIVE reflection on the lack of nationalism in England in particular. People are (loosely) English, British, whatever, happy with it, comfortable with it, don't always feel the need to run around waving flags and having an enormous celebration on St Georges day. I many respects, not rabidly promoting our Englishness is, well, very English....

There was an interesting item on ITV's political programme the other week, the panel were debating UKIP's rise and one panellist (who was from a pollster business) said that they had run a series of polls in constituencies were UKIP had polled well. One of the questions they asked was what made people feel proud about Britain, the overwhelming response was...................the past.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The Malvinas are x,000 kilometres [fill in the blank] from these isles. Such examples of colonialism are currently being perpetrated by Putin and all his plain-clothed operatives in the western Ukraine as we type, having done so in the Crimea a few weeks back.
I'm all for democracy and would value it far more highly than those things you've listed as being proud of, but wouldn't reduce it to voting (which is an aristocratic device) and think that colonialism is categorically a bad idea.

The Spanish or Dutch have more rights to the Falklands than Argentina. The Falklands were populated before Argentina even existed as a country.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
I used to be British but find myself now putting English down on any forms I have to fill in. To me if the Scots, Welsh and Irish constantly go on about their heritage and don't class themselves as British then why should I?

As for being proud of where you were born, how many people on these forums were born outside of Sussex that support Brighton, and of the ones born in Sussex, how many of you would have supported your local team to where ever else you were born/raised if it was not Sussex? Count yourselves all lucky that your parents didn't decide to move 50 miles north or 50 miles west, you could either be watching premier league football in a cladded stadium listening to a drum all game or be stood next to a bloke with a bell watching your team getting destroyed by Fleetwood and Accrington Stanley in League 2 along with dozens of other #TBFITW #twats

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Are you sure? The Normans were descendants from Viking invasions of West Francia, which now part of France, so you may not be as French as you think. Even West Francia (pre Normandy) was occupied by the Franks who were of Germanic tribal origin.

Apparently it locates back somewhere in Picardy, so yes (having just studied Wiki) I guess I am more Germanic than I thought. Tak for the enlightenment.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Where's the option for all of the above?

Chief Wiggum

Apr 30, 2009
I was born in Sussex and grew up there until the age of 19 then moved away although my extended family still reside. Had you asked me this question then, I would probably have answered 'Don't care, it's not important'. Now I am in my 50's and live 600 miles away I find that every time I come back and walk over the downs or listen to Sussex by the Sea as I sit in my seat at the Amex (I'm a season ticket holder and only miss about 6 games a year), I have a pang of great pride and longing to return full time. It truly is a beautiful county. So, perhaps it is an age thing as you get older and reflect on life. I am also proud to be English. I used to say British but if a strong national identity is good enough for the the Scots and the Welsh it's good enough for us English.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I can trace my paternal family line back to the fifteenth century in Sussex, and I love the county, and (most) of the people, but no doubt, if I was a yorky, scouser ,or cockerney, I would have similar feelings for those places. If you don't like your birthplace, surely you move away

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Of course I can do nothing about where I was born; I was born at the Zachary Merton Hospital in Rustington, so basically a few streets from the sea, which I suppose almost makes me French. However, a well played rendition of GOSBTS certainly does get the hairs standing up on the back of my neck; I particularly remember this at the Play Off final in Cardiff, and when I sit in the car up at the Burgh or above Burpham, or walk along the coast path from Seaford to Eastbourne, I feel immensely privileged to have this as my home county. And, whether the Republicans like it or not, yes, when I see something like Trooping the Colour or the Royal Wedding, a sense of patriotism does come over me, but not in an anti-foreigner way.

However, I am equally proud, if that is the correct word, that a Somali refugee, accepted into this country (that's if Mo Farah was a refugee; correct me if I'm wrong) can score two of the greatest wins of his life and happily drape himself in the Union flag. It also gives me pleasure when I see a A380 going over my flat, such as the BA one I saw yesterday, and consider that a large part of it was built here.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The thread title is " Are you British, English or Sussex?"
No mention of proud, not proud, could do better, could do worse.
I was born in England, therefore i am English.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The thread title is " Are you British, English or Sussex?"
No mention of proud,

Did you not read the accompanying opening post?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here