Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

lets hope these results don't keep papering over the cracks.

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
Bore off. We won. Three points is three points whether you get them with five goals or one.

you are correct its only 3 pts for a win

Your response along with many others in this thread are providing a very clear argument that the results ARE masking the cracks we have. people stating comments like "we are winning" or "what's the problem" clearly can't see the bigger picture. Short term in the middle of the season fine, grind out a few results here and there. however if we continue to play the type of football we have done at home this season, I am certain that season ticket holders with vote with their feet. Lets see what happens to season ticket sales for future seasons- Many People won't pay 455 to watch mid tableness, they will pick and choose their games. Sure, the hardcore of 9-10,00 will renew without question. however the product on the pitch is not going to put bums on seat. The club won't be going places with 10,000 fans.

Last edited:

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
t. Doncaster were not given a moment on the ball to build from the back, we pressed them high up the field from the off.

:facepalm:

AWAY from home these tactics are fine... At home its a different matter. If we played this so called "3 up front" then where were the other 2 everytime the ball was cleared from the back to Ulloa who was running the flanks. They weren't up there supporting him - 4-3-3 IT most certainly was NOT.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Its so obvious we need to get 2 players up front...

This is possibly one of the most dullest teams to watch I have seen. once in 7 games at home have we have scored more than 2 goals and twice in the last 14 games total.

Keep pretending everything is ok by winning 1-0 and all will be fine...

Oh dear. Not again. Just listening to 6-0-6, and Robbie Savage has just said that 4-4-2 is finished. Just about every top manager agrees apart from, perhaps, Pellegrini. Think if City go into the Champions League playing 4-4-2 they'll soon get found out.
Oscar plays 4-3-3/4-5-1. Not just in the first team, but all the teams.
Can this 4-4-2, or two up-front stop. Please.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Shame we didn't take one of the chances in the first twenty minutes.

Doncaster actually showed in the last ten minutes that they could create, and an early goal for us would have made them change the way they set up.

As it was they were responsible for some of the worst time wasting I have seen, and got what they deserved.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
AWAY from home these tactics are fine... At home its a different matter. If we played this so called "3 up front" then where were the other 2 everytime the ball was cleared from the back to Ulloa who was running the flanks. They weren't up there supporting him - 4-3-3 IT most certainly was NOT.

at times in that first half..it was more like 3/0/7..both fall backs pushed well up and only Ince and the 2 centre backs..poor final ball/or poor finishing to blame...anyway carry on with your rant ..after 1 point out of nine ..a win was vital and the performance wasn't too shabby

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
We played good football today, we just lack that killer touch. The team is in transition, give it time and we'll be a force to be reckoned with :albion2:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
you are correct its only 3 pts for a wi

Your response along with many others in this thread are providing a very clear argument that the results ARE masking the cracks we have. people stating comments like "we are winning" or "whats the problem" clearly can't see the bigger picture. Short term in the middle of the season fine, however if we continue to play the type of football we have done at home this season, Take a look at what happens to season ticket sales for future seasons- Many People won't pay 455 to watch mid tableness. Sure the hardcore of 9-10k will, but the club won't be going places with 10,000 fans.

We've got the 3rd best defensive record in the league and we've got a new manager working wonders wit an injured squad he's more or less inherited.

I'm not worried. Mid-table in the Championship compared to what we've had for the past 17 years? Yes please!

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Lots of good crosses into the box?- Brilliant - What you also didn't add was the majority of them either went out the other side of the box for a goal kick or a throw or were no where near any players in blue and white stripes. However at least we got the crosses in!-

This is not Roy of the Rovers mate not every cross is going to land smack on the strikers foot or head. You failed to note dispite some miss hit crosses the ones that were decent. We scored from a cross, goal ruled out offside from a cross, Ulloa chance and march chance in 1st half both from a cross. In fact a lot of our good work cane either from the 2 attacking wingers or the fullbacks. So bot aure exactly what you were watching all afternoon but you seemed to have missed any of the good stuff

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
Oh dear. Not again. Just listening to 6-0-6, and Robbie Savage has just said that 4-4-2 is finished. Just about every top manager agrees apart from, perhaps, Pellegrini. Think if City go into the Champions League playing 4-4-2 they'll soon get found out.
Oscar plays 4-3-3/4-5-1. Not just in the first team, but all the teams.
Can this 4-4-2, or two up-front stop. Please.

you mean Man city (the team that have scored 100+ goals this season) are struggling as the play 4-4-2?

You need the players to perform to a certain system - in the Premier league there are so many european players and foreign managers influencing the move away from 4-4-2 , however if the top scoring team in England are playing 4-4-2 then surely something must be right?

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
We started positively and should have carried that on but in the 2nd half we let them back into it and on another day we could have conceded and it be a different story.
Also, after we scored we sat back against 10 men where a drop of the ball the wrong way could have easily cost us 2 points. Was very negative after we went 1 up

We didn't concede though and in this league you have to be able to grind out results like we did today, I'm not quite sure what people were expecting today but when you look at the team we put out we had 3 midfielders who hav'nt played as a trio before ( 1 of which was making his home debut ) and 3 forwards of which 2 were making their first championship starts ( 1 his home debut ) and the target man who you could see was low on confidence because of his recent goal drought, Add that to playing against a team who seemed to have a game plan based on trying to frustrate us and stopping us scoring rather than trying to win the game themselves and it's no wonder it was the sort of game where we had to work hard for the result.

nick c

Mar 29, 2008
bn26
Out of interest where do you sit?From my seat in west upper it was very clear that when we attacked we played with a front three,obviously when defending the wide players were asked to defend.This may not have been apparent from pitch level but was clear from an ariel view of the team.

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
Out of interest where do you sit?From my seat in west upper it was very clear that when we attacked we played with a front three,obviously when defending the wide players were asked to defend.This may not have been apparent from pitch level but was clear from an ariel view of the team.

fair comment... You have a better view up there of the overall position, however this would indicate a 4-5-1 formation..... NOT a 4-3-3.

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003
We didn't concede though and in this league you have to be able to grind out results like we did today, I'm not quite sure what people were expecting today but when you look at the team we put out we had 3 midfielders who hav'nt played as a trio before ( 1 of which was making his home debut ) and 3 forwards of which 2 were making their first championship starts ( 1 his home debut ) and the target man who you could see was low on confidence because of his recent goal drought, Add that to playing against a team who seemed to have a game plan based on trying to frustrate us and stopping us scoring rather than trying to win the game themselves and it's no wonder it was the sort of game where we had to work hard for the result.

agreed, another fair point, however away teams have continually done this at the amex AS ITS WORKED time and time again. They know they can nick a point with 1 corner or 1 free kick. With us being the home team we need to make sure that we are comfortably in control of home games and not let this happen - Our continual tactics of trying to hold on backfires more - hence why we are 13 pts away from the top 3. a further 8 pts from 5th..

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Its so obvious we need to get 2 players up front...

This is possibly one of the most dullest teams to watch I have seen. once in 7 games at home have we have scored more than 2 goals and twice in the last 14 games total.

Keep pretending everything is ok by winning 1-0 and all will be fine...

I want to shout and yell lots of expletives at you.

But I know I am pissed so shan't. If you don't like our play. Simply piss off and watch QPR who sign all the players no-one else can afford to. Then you will be happy in your un dull world of delightfullness. Thank for stopping and come again!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Today wasn't dull whatsoever, especially first half. No idea what game you were watching. Frustrating watching us play class football and not apply the finishing touch, yes, but NOT dull.

Without doing all five pages - THIS. We really bossed the first half and created several good chances (an outstretched foot and one bad header from being two up IMO). Second half was poor but we still scored and had another disallowed. What WAS frustrating was our sitting back and lack of interest once we went 1 up and Sharp got sent off.

Silver flying chariot

Aug 5, 2003

But I know I am pissed so shan't. If you don't like our play. Simply piss off and watch QPR who sign all the players no-one else can afford to. Then you will be happy in your un dull world of delightfullness. Thank for stopping and come again!

shrewd....Someone disagree's with you and you resort to telling them to "piss off and watch QPR".... well done

Spot on!

Originally Posted by Mellotron
Today wasn't dull whatsoever, especially first half. No idea what game you were watching. Frustrating watching us play class football and not apply the finishing touch, yes, but NOT dull.
Without doing all five pages - THIS. We really bossed the first half and created several good chances (an outstretched foot and one bad header from being two up IMO). Second half was poor but we still scored and had another disallowed. What WAS frustrating was our sitting back and lack of interest once we went 1 up and Sharp got sent off.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?295194-BHA-v-Leeds-Score-Predictor

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
you mean Man city (the team that have scored 100+ goals this season) are struggling as the play 4-4-2?

You need the players to perform to a certain system - in the Premier league there are so many european players and foreign managers influencing the move away from 4-4-2 , however if the top scoring team in England are playing 4-4-2 then surely something must be right?

You won't give up, will you. The reason why City are doing this is because they've comfortably outspent all other teams for the last six to eight years. Once you've got that strong a squad, and that much talent, then you can unleash it. It also helps to have Yaya Toure, who really gets around.
As indicated in my original post, if City play 4-4-2 in the Champions League, they won't last long.
Why do Bayern (Champions League holders), Real Madrid and Barcelona (arguably the best clubs in the world at the moment), Mourinho, etc, etc avoid 4-4-2 like the plague? Because it's outdated, and too rigid.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You have argued your case very well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here