Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some things I learned about Calde last night...

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
• Calde's two main passions (outside the house and family) are football and running. Sometimes it's running and football, but now it's football and running. And climbing. He now likes climbing. Should have got him a wall as a present.

• When he was 15, he was painfully shy. His partner of 17 years asked him out - rather than he asked her out. Teaching has helped him reduce that shyness.

• Their son's first English words were 'football' and 'seagulls'. He is obsessed with football. Calde actually wants him to watch more cartoons 'like normal children'.

• [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] got a story from Andrea Orlandi from when they were both in Swansea. I'll let him post that anecdote.

• No, I didn't ask him about his immediate future. This was an evening of thanks and appreciation.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
It was a great evening, which just re-confirmed what a lovely man he is - going round and talking to everyone individually, in a really natural friendly way. Many thanks to you and everyone else involved in organising it - it felt really appropriate, and I got the feeling that Calde himself was genuinely moved by the occasion.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
It was a great evening, which just re-confirmed what a lovely man he is - going round and talking to everyone individually, in a really natural friendly way. Many thanks to you and everyone else involved in organising it - it felt really appropriate, and I got the feeling that Calde himself was genuinely moved by the occasion.

He was, and thanks for coming.

I was watching him while he was watching Orlandi.

Onion-chopping time.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This is what Orlandi said about Calde

" Before He signed for Brighton, Calde got released by Alaves and didn't have a club. I was playing for Swansea at the time and He came to visit me.

He stayed with me for a while.. He was sad as He couldn't do what He loves the most, which is playing football.

One day I was driving through the Swansea Bay and He saw some people playing football in the park. He asked me to go back home to get his boots as He wanted to go and play with them. I was shocked but I accepted of course. When We got back to the park there was no space for him to play, this guys didn't let him play.

I was waiting in the car as it was raining crazily (typical Swansea). He came back to the car, He was disappointed and He asked to wait there as He needed to do something.

He went for a run. I thought it was going to be quick. He came back after an hour.. this is just to make you understand how much Calde loves the game amd how much effort he puts in everything he does"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This just reinforces why we are as a club, fans and community are so lucky that he has been with us. The legend that he is just keeps growing

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
It was a great night, thanks to everyone for organising it, it was lovely to feel part of something special.

Can I just add a word about the generosity of [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]? He won the raffle and the prize was a signed pair of football boots complete with Basque flag on them. Straight after the raffle, El Pres came over and gave the boots to my young son. Needless to say, both of us were made up with this wonderful gift. Thanks so much.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
• Calde's two main passions (outside the house and family) are football and running. Sometimes it's running and football, but now it's football and running. And climbing. He now likes climbing. Should have got him a wall as a present.

• When he was 15, he was painfully shy. His partner of 17 years asked him out - rather than he asked her out. Teaching has helped him reduce that shyness.

• Their son's first English words were 'football' and 'seagulls'. He is obsessed with football. Calde actually wants him to watch more cartoons 'like normal children'.

• @El Presidente got a story from Andrea Orlandi from when they were both in Swansea. I'll let him post that anecdote.

• No, I didn't ask him about his immediate future. This was an evening of thanks and appreciation.

Is there going to be a full report of how it went last night? I couldn't go but I'm keen to hear ALL about it. (Good work by the way!)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

" Before He signed for Brighton, Calde got released by Alaves and didn't have a club. I was playing for Swansea at the time and He came to visit me.

He stayed with me for a while.. He was sad as He couldn't do what He loves the most, which is playing football.

One day I was driving through the Swansea Bay and He saw some people playing football in the park. He asked me to go back home to get his boots as He wanted to go and play with them. I was shocked but I accepted of course. When We got back to the park there was no space for him to play, this guys didn't let him play.

I was waiting in the car as it was raining crazily (typical Swansea). He came back to the car, He was disappointed and He asked to wait there as He needed to do something.

He went for a run. I thought it was going to be quick. He came back after an hour.. this is just to make you understand how much Calde loves the game amd how much effort he puts in everything he does"

Idiotic welsh.

So they had a LIVING LEGEND in their midst, right there with His boots on, and they wouldn't let Him join in. Pathetic.

I hope Swansea are relegated.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

This story makes me sad. You can picture poor Calde, stood at the side of the pitch holding his boots. Pick me, pick me. Nah, y'alright boyo. Park football w4nkers.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This story makes me sad. You can picture poor Calde, stood at the side of the pitch holding his boots. Pick me, pick me. Nah, y'alright boyo. Park football w4nkers.

I think they turned him down because he only had five fingers on each hand.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Is there going to be a full report of how it went last night? I couldn't go but I'm keen to hear ALL about it. (Good work by the way!)

We had a nice time.

Everything else is a footnote.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I live hand to mouth and normally work on Sunday nights so couldn't attend. Fortunately I had the opportunity to give my own little gesture of thanks back in January by giving the great man a discounted 'Minions' calendar and telling him he's very well thought of around these parts.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
A really enjoyable night. Thanks to all who arranged it. It always surprises me how naturally he is able to just talk to people. No awkwardness or stilted conversation, just naturally charming and charismatic. God, I love that man...

Delighted to win a pair of his boots too!

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Roll back to last Tuesday. Myself and [MENTION=5001]The Merry Prankster[/MENTION] are wandering through town, still unsure what to get him.

We're looking in art shops for something Brighton-y. We head down to an art shop on the seafront, and run into Brian Owen, the Argus reporter.

"What does Calde like?"

"Um... errr. Football and running mostly..."

"OK. Thanks."

We walk on some more, and are walking through Pavilion Gardens, and ran into Chris Hughton.

"Chris, help us out here, could you? What's Calde into?"

"Not sure. He's 34, but trains like a 21 year-old. Lovely bloke. Football and running, really."

Jesus.

"Thanks, Chris."

We eventually ended up in Sydney Street, and thereby hit upon an idea of taking someone's photograph and having made into a canvas. We asked [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] very nicely if we could use one of his images of the Palace Pier at sunset. He was delighted to help. So we had a 90cm x 60cm canvas frame made up.

We also got him a signed (by the artist) print of 'The Brighton Line' - the 'London Underground' map of Brighton. It has Calderon as one of the stops. He also got a Basque cookbook (chicken a speciality) and copy of Dan Tester's 'Brighton & Hove On The Day'. This was was signed - the unsigned ones are worth a fortune. [MENTION=4190]Barry Izbak[/MENTION] also obliged with with a framed photgraph of 'Albion Calde', one of the syndicate's greyhounds.

We were just trying to remind him where his friends are. S'all.

The evening was a sell-out success. We ran the 5-minute Calde showreel before inroducing the big man himself. He was expecting a few people, and a quiet evening. Fat chance. To be frank, he looked terrified when he came in.

The Ginger Pig then served us an excellent three course meal on a Basque theme - bread / olives / nuts / serrano ham. Main course was chicken in a tomato, chorizo and paprika sauce (veggies had sweet potato and chickpea stew in a tomato and paprika sauce), with patatas bravas and asparagus on the side. Dessert was a Basque cake and cherry compote. Drinks were also liberally served. Not bad for £35.

Matt Potter was the MC for the evening, and he introduced Attila to recite his poem for Calde. Kieran Maguire said a few excellently chosen words - including the Orlandi story above. We ran the Orlandi video (onion-chopping time for Calde), presented the gifts - including a bunch of flowers for Natalia (Calde's partner), and a superb cake decorated as a Basque flag, courtesy of Vicky Lank. Then Calde made his speech. He was - nearly - speechless.

There was also a free raffle - Calde was giving away some boots, a shirt and tracksuit top etc.

Much fun was had, pictures taken, goodies signed - all the while Calde himself wandered round 'like a wedding' talking to everybody.

The guy, in a word, is class.

Thanks to everyone who came along. Marvellous scenes.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Roll back to last Tuesday. Myself and [MENTION=5001]The Merry Prankster[/MENTION] are wandering through town, still unsure what to get him.

We're looking in art shops for something Brighton-y. We head down to an art shop on the seafront, and run into Brian Owen, the Argus reporter.

"What does Calde like?"

"Um... errr. Football and running mostly..."

"OK. Thanks."

We walk on some more, and are walking through Pavilion Gardens, and ran into Chris Hughton.

"Chris, help us out here, could you? What's Calde into?"

"Not sure. He's 34, but trains like a 21 year-old. Lovely bloke. Football and running, really."

Jesus.

"Thanks, Chris."

We eventually ended up in Sydney Street, and thereby hit upon an idea of taking someone's photograph and having made into a canvas. We asked [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] very nicely if we could use one of his images of the Palace Pier at sunset. He was delighted to help. So we had a 90cm x 60cm canvas frame made up.

We also got him a signed (by the artist) print of 'The Brighton Line' - the 'London Underground' map of Brighton. It has Calderon as one of the stops. He also got a Basque cookbook (chicken a speciality) and copy of Dan Tester's 'Brighton & Hove On The Day'. This was was signed - the unsigned ones are worth a fortune. [MENTION=4190]Barry Izbak[/MENTION] also obliged with with a framed photgraph of 'Albion Calde', one of the syndicate's greyhounds.

We were just trying to remind him where his friends are. S'all.

The evening was a sell-out success. We ran the 5-minute Calde showreel before inroducing the big man himself. He was expecting a few people, and a quiet evening. Fat chance. To be frank, he looked terrified when he came in.

The Ginger Pig then served us an excellent three course meal on a Basque theme - bread / olives / nuts / serrano ham. Main course was chicken in a tomato, chorizo and paprika sauce (veggies had sweet potato and chickpea stew in a tomato and paprika sauce), with patatas bravas and asparagus on the side. Dessert was a Basque cake and cherry compote. Drinks were also liberally served. Not bad for £35.

Matt Potter was the MC for the evening, and he introduced Attila to recite his poem for Calde. Kieran Maguire said a few excellently chosen words - including the Orlandi story above. We ran the Orlandi video (onion-chopping time for Calde), presented the gifts - including a bunch of flowers for Natalia (Calde's partner), and a superb cake decorated as a Basque flag, courtesy of Vicky Lank. Then Calde made his speech. He was - nearly - speechless.

There was also a free raffle - Calde was giving away some boots, a shirt and tracksuit top etc.

Much fun was had, pictures taken, goodies signed - all the while Calde himself wandered round 'like a wedding' talking to everybody.

The guy, in a word, is class.

Thanks to everyone who came along. Marvellous scenes.

That is a very long footnote

Sounds like a superb evening

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here