Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The beginning of the end.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Fair bit of truth in that I have to admit. It's almost how you tell the difference between fans who really have followed us threw thin and thin and those who are new or as good as, having only turned up in 2005 and 1991 since 1983 despite being a regular at the Amex. I don't begrudge them following the club now, (where were you when we were shit...? Ow, shopping, ok...) but they have, crucially, missed so much dross they really don't know just how capable we are of f ucking it up. It's not pessimism, it's not arrogance, it's not uberism. It's just experience. And therefore after nights like tonight, no JCL, glory hunting, AWOL (war years), cup final only ticket grabbing fellow 'fan' is going to tell me that this club can't snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Because we can. And have. So take your optimistic complacency and do one!

Christ I hate the hope. Give me despair anyday...

I find that a bit presumptuous. You are basically saying that if your not getting carried away and panicking tonight, you have not supported the club long. Personally, I started supporting the club in 1990 and have been a regular since then and I think the original post is pathetic and attention seeking.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I want to say to the op grow up and get a grip ****wit but im not sure its allowed

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Before I say this it is NOT meant as a troll just an observation ....
It would appear that your side may have a 'soft underbelly' as highlighted by Keanes last minute equaliser for us last year and tonight's result when the pressure is on to get a result. Is this a concern? Whilst you had far more flair than us last year (which worried me and other clarets? Ultimately grit saw us through, I just wondered if it was a bit of a niggle?
Like I said not trolling just a view, u have more than enough to win the league which I expect u to do . It could be something that's a deadly flaw next year in the premier league next year tho when points are harder to come by. Good luck guys! :)

Trolling or not (and it is noticeable you choose tonight to post and not after our wins this season) you couldn't be more wrong. Last season we were a bit soft but this season we've signed Duffy and Murray and are much better. You can't make a judgement like that in one game and we've generally been very good against top teams.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I find that a bit presumptuous. You are basically saying that if your not getting carried away and panicking tonight, you have not supported the club long. Personally, I started supporting the club in 1990 and have been a regular since then and I think the original post is pathetic and attention seeking.

I agree having stuck with it as a season ticket holder at gillingham theres a lot of twats on her tonight

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's a fair cop in that sense but this forum is so one way sometimes. I have seen it all over the years and in general I am an optimist but it's being so close to glory that hurts the most.

You can't have a discussion forum with a differing opinion but it seems someone with "an opinion" other than all for one, one for all is deemed a pr*ck.

I want us to succeed so much like us all but I ain't gonna gloss over expectation against reality

Heartedly agree. We were dreadful and just dismissing it as bad day at office, it's behind us now etc is alarmingly complacent. If you don't learn lessons from tonight then you're doomed to make them again. The management and team won't be happy, so why should the fans?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

JCL...;)

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Trolling or not (and it is noticeable you choose tonight to post and not after our wins this season) you couldn't be more wrong. Last season we were a bit soft but this season we've signed Duffy and Murray and are much better. You can't make a judgement like that in one game and we've generally been very good against top teams.
Good post.

Claretnblue

Apr 29, 2016
Finchley I started a thread the other day about when u get promoted . I make a point of watching ur games when they're on because ur good to watch and I think u deserve it this year especially after last yr (Ramirez is a cheat) . It's not about tonight and I find myself hoping for you boys to get it wrapped up . U deserve it .

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I agree having stuck with it as a season ticket holder at gillingham theres a lot of twats on her tonight

"A lot of twats on her tonight"!!! Er, he says without irony...!!!

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Heartedly agree. We were dreadful and just dismissing it as bad day at office, it's behind us now etc is alarmingly complacent. If you don't learn lessons from tonight then you're doomed to make them again. The management and team won't be happy, so why should the fans?

There is always going to be reaction and over reaction in football. Over reaction isn't always wrong, it is just badly addressed or badly applied

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
There are way too many ppl on here getting right on the backs as soon as they state their opinion. We have f**ked up 3 promotion chances since being back in the championship and every one of those seasons has existed a little group of post snipers ready to take out anyone that dare doubt our credentials when in fact it turns out they were right, even if the way they put the point across was not too good.

This is a forum of opinions but as soon as anyone posts anything away from the glitter ball of absolute praise, a lot of you all jump on someone like a pride of lions.

The fact is, we have gotten away with more than our fair share of results this season and tonight could well be our season changer, it may not be but f**k anyone that doesn't have a "Disney world" view of our season eh!

Tonight was absolute sh*te, on balance I still think we will still go up automatically but it is not too far from reality that we could drop into the play offs by the end of the season and then it's back to the lottery. We ain't 15 points clear of 3rd and we certainly ain't entitled to 1st or 2nd based on ANY previous season stats thus far

I never understand the attitude of people saying we have messed up three previous attempts to go up. Three seasons ago under Oscar Garcia we scraped into the play offs on the last game of the season, with a team that had a lot of injuries and did well to get into the top six, and then lost to a team well above us in the league. Last season we competed amazingly with two teams who had much bigger budgets than us and, despite a horrendous injury record over Christmas, were only goal difference away from promotion before awful injury luck again in the play offs.

So the only season you could argue we screwed up was under Poyet, and that was mainly his fault.

It is not a 'Disney world' view to say this is only one game. We'd won our last two league games before tonight and it is only our fourth loss of the season. We were poor, nobody is arguing with that, but if you can't see why people wouldn't get annoyed by the stupid post from the OP (look at me, over the top reaction) then there's no point discussing it.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Finchley I started a thread the other day about when u get promoted . I make a point of watching ur games when they're on because ur good to watch and I think u deserve it this year especially after last yr (Ramirez is a cheat) . It's not about tonight and I find myself hoping for you boys to get it wrapped up . U deserve it .

Fair enough then. Thank you

If you've seen our recent TV games, you'll have seen we definitely didn't have a soft underbelly against Sheffield Wednesday.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

He did:

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?347886-Next-year

I agree with the thrust of the response though CnB. We certainly don't have a soft underbelly this season, and don't think we did last season. If you want to invoke the game we played against each other, can I call one Joey Barton to the bar and his missing red card?
I do take it as a complement that you regard us to be flair, but we haven't really turned it on in too many games this season, Knockaert has now and again, but we've been ruthlessly efficient at both ends of the pitch.
Tonight, we were absolutely mullered by a quite fantastic side. If we go up, then I'd like to have Mooy and Brown (on a season-long loan or, even better, as our players) teach the fantastic Ginger Dalek a lesson.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
A lot of them seem to enjoy us losing so they can come on here and post ridiculous stuff.
You see, and I don't think you're levelling that at me, but I do find that old chestnut equally challenging. Because there are genuine concerns, it's not just about tonight's awful performance but plenty of unconvincing displays that could see us finish bridesmaids again. We know how close it can be so feeling dispondent isn't way off the mark or ridiculous. It shows if anything a greater grip on reality and/ or experience. As the old saying goes, if you can keep your head when all around others don't...you probably haven't a clue what's really going on :)

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I never understand the attitude of people saying we have messed up three previous attempts to go up. Three seasons ago under Oscar Garcia we scraped into the play offs on the last game of the season, with a team that had a lot of injuries and did well to get into the top six, and then lost to a team well above us in the league. Last season we competed amazingly with two teams who had much bigger budgets than us and, despite a horrendous injury record over Christmas, were only goal difference away from promotion before awful injury luck again in the play offs.

So the only season you could argue we screwed up was under Poyet, and that was mainly his fault.

It is not a 'Disney world' view to say this is only one game. We'd won our last two league games before tonight and it is only our fourth loss of the season. We were poor, nobody is arguing with that, but if you can't see why people wouldn't get annoyed by the stupid post from the OP (look at me, over the top reaction) then there's no point discussing it.

It is however a type view that get lauded on here as the be all and end all. Like I said, I don't agree with a lot of what he said but his opinion is just that. Discuss it yes, but the knock anyone down that suggests anything other glory to our club and you are doomed.

In terms of previous seasons, there is always an excuse, but to be fair one of those seasons involving a late Ulloa goal at Forest was never really gonna be our year I guess

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Didn't we equally finish last season way ahead of Massive Wednesday and lose to them?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You see, and I don't think you're levelling that at me, but I do find that old chestnut equally challenging. Because there are genuine concerns, it's not just about tonight's awful performance but plenty of unconvincing displays that could see us finish bridesmaids again. We know how close it can be so feeling dispondent isn't way off the mark or ridiculous. It shows if anything a greater grip on reality and/ or experience. As the old saying goes, if you can keep your head when all around others don't...you probably haven't a clue what's really going on :)

No, that wasn't aimed at you but there are definitely some posters who only come on here when we lose or if we miss out on transfer targets. From my perspective, posters like that don't add anything to the forum. The OP is one of them.

As for your last comment, I imagine Chris Hughton is keeping his head and not over reacting (as he doesn't when we win). If he kept them in as reported, I think it would have been a very rational analysis of the performance and no panic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here