Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1047032564601499650[/tweet]

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
who's stopping you from leaving the country after Brexit ???
regards
DR

No one, but it makes getting a job there a lot harder. When I moved here and couldn’t speak the language I eventually got a job in a billingual school, teaching English. I applied for the job, went for an interview and had my first day in 3 weeks (would have been shorter if it wasn’t a job involving children and I had to apply for a police check). A few Americans and Aussies worked there and it took each of them for over a year to finally be able to work, and I heard of many more situations where American applicants gave up because of the visa process. It will make things much, much harder.

As aside I found out the reason I got the job was because they needed a native English speaker right away and couldn’t wait for Americans (more qualified people than me) as the process took so long. That’s what will happen to us now, In many different situations

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
just to note there is a couple of good reasons: tax, regulatory structures (may be beneficial to be outside the EU), local pool of talent, proximity to other services. much is made of location of HQ for political reasons, it practical and economic terms doesn't matter much these days, and less so with modern IT. example my company's european HQ is official in Switzerland, however all the management are in London. there's quite a list of companies that are "officially" based in the UK when this or even Europe is not their singular major market.

i've been following this sub-thread about media, quite interesting as wasnt aware UK quite so dominant in the sector. i wonder how licensing is technically implemented, as broadcasting is pretty much uncontrollable once in the air, does the license come into effect in access to transmitters or satellite uplinks, or at satellites themselves? what prevents unlicensed transmissions, say from Turkey or Russia?

Any large media organisation aren't go to operate without a license and you'd have to find someones dodgy satellite.

All wrapped up in international agreements. Although it's quite easy to block a signal if you have the means. The Iranians did so a few years ago. Simply sent up a high powered signal at the same frequency taking BBC Persia off air. Since other channels were using it they were blown away too. True story, went on for about a week.

Most channels operate on other peoples platforms - in that you sell a channel to a cable or satellite operator. They will either transmit free to air or put in a subscription. The channel may take advertising.
You usually have to give the cable operator a means of decrypting the channel when they bring it down.

With all that in mind - I'd imagine it's impossible to transmit a "pirate channel" under such circumstances. With "over spill" you can always pick up a channel from outside the EU if you in the right place with a big enough dish, but that's irrelevant to the conversation.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
For holiday, no one really. For work overseas it will become a lot more tricky in a few months time.

You're privy to the outcome of negotiations then ? Or do you mean it 'may' become trickier depending what happens ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Anyone who is in unfortunate situation with their lifestyle and money was regretfully in that way long before Brexit and unless successive governments improve social care in this country they will continue to be worse off long after!

You really are a deluded, nasty piece of work. And you’re just PLAIN wrong.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Any large media organisation aren't go to operate without a license and you'd have to find someones dodgy satellite.

All wrapped up in international agreements. Although it's quite easy to block a signal if you have the means. The Iranians did so a few years ago. Simply sent up a high powered signal at the same frequency taking BBC Persia off air. Since other channels were using it they were blown away too. True story, went on for about a week.

Most channels operate on other peoples platforms - in that you sell a channel to a cable or satellite operator. They will either transmit free to air or put in a subscription. The channel may take advertising.
You usually have to give the cable operator a means of decrypting the channel when they bring it down.

With all that in mind - I'd imagine it's impossible to transmit a "pirate channel" under such circumstances. With "over spill" you can always pick up a channel from outside the EU if you in the right place with a big enough dish, but that's irrelevant to the conversation.
thanks. i see what you're saying, if you're unlicensed you cant get on the equvilent of Sky or whatever so limiting commerical options. though it seems to me that those running on free to air are able to carry on, as long as they have the license here and satellite opertor isnt obliged to cease their transmission?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
thanks. i see what you're saying, if you're unlicensed you cant get on the equvilent of Sky or whatever so limiting commerical options. though it seems to me that those running on free to air are able to carry on, as long as they have the license here and satellite opertor isnt obliged to cease their transmission?

Well since free to air are usually on a platform of some kind.

Not sure what you are asking...

Basically you can licence with an EU country and it covers the whole EU. Ofcom has become the first popular place to get it and they make a lot of revenue from it. They licence a whole raft of channels that don't even transmit to the UK.

What is "up in the air"

If you are based in the UK and transmit to the EU do you

1) Have to get agreements with every country ?
2) Can you register with just one country in the EU ?
3) Ship your "operation" (the signal can still come from the UK) to Ireland or Amsterdam ?

Doesn't matter whether you are free to air, via cable or satellite. You need a licence to broadcast in the EU and the UK.

What also will be under debate is "country of origin" - which isn't about where the programmes were made or where the signal comes from. "Country of origin" will be where the station is managed or I think - where editorially the content is selected.

So that could mean the "ones in the office" - have to move elsewhere.

All the big companies are based here - always have been. Most of the play out is handled by other companies now - with the odd exception so companies like "Red Bee" and "Globecast" won't be affected. My understanding it's the channels that require the licence not the transmitter.

However if you do move overseas - you may want to be nearer your playout provider.

There is a huge one is Amsterdam which a UK facility has just bought. Wonder why :)

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Bullshit. Point to me on the referendum where is mentions the single market and customs union.

All through the campaign the remain camp said how bad it would be to leave the SM an the CU so by implication the remain camp knew that's what a leave vote meant.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You're privy to the outcome of negotiations then ? Or do you mean it 'may' become trickier depending what happens ?

You are right of course. A second referendum and rescinding Article 50 would mean it wouldn't become trickier.

To claim any other solution won't make working in the EU trickier is complete Bollocks.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here