Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police Box Gang

Julio

Feb 18, 2009
Blimey, what a load of old reactionaries. Imagine the debate raging at the Goldstone in the late 70's as the old boys moan like bug*ery about some spotty, long haired teens making up new words to that mock-scottish gits latest dirge - Sailing. What's wrong with just shouting up the Albion, or come on you blues every now and then.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I

Come and stand with us and then tell me how easy it is to hear songs started from other areas of the NS. We join in when we hear what's being sung, we don't when we can't. I guess other parts of the stadium are lucky enough to be able to hear more than we are. We do our best. We try. We're giving it our all.

Now listen very, very carefully.

The only way that we will get a unified North Stand is when the club... when THE CLUB make some changes. I'm talking to you Paul Beirne. Despite what your email said, there WAS a consensus, and that consensus was "put us all together". The lack of consensus was in how that is achieved and, whatever we might suggest, only you and the rest of the powers that be can effect that change. Bite the bullet, make the changes, continue with the momentum that started in December (which now feels distinctly withered due to your inactivity). We're all still here. Have a listen at some of the away games.

Imagine what you could achieve, what we all could achieve, if YOU put the wheels in motion.

Soon enough we find out what next year's prices will be. If you don't act to change where we all 'sit' before tickets are bought then shame on you. I'm calling you out. Make a change, be true to your word and mobilise us all under your own initiative. We neither want nor need another revolution; we just need your support, so that we can be joined up in giving ours.

Make it so.

So, knowing now that the acoustics of being under the Police Box does not contribute to the atmosphere because:

1 You can't hear the rest of the NS
2 The rest of the NS can't hear you.

are all of you looking to move away from that area either to elsewhere in the North or to the South West corner?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Blimey, what a load of old reactionaries. Imagine the debate raging at the Goldstone in the late 70's as the old boys moan like bug*ery about some spotty, long haired teens making up new words to that mock-scottish gits latest dirge - Sailing. What's wrong with just shouting up the Albion, or come on you blues every now and then.
MG'sGrandad posting on NSC in 1978...

"I think the lads in the middle of the North Stand and over towards the away fans are great - brilliant to have a noisier atmosphere than before and their songs seem to be catching on. The ones I don't understand are the so-called North-West Pylon Crew. They seem to be much spottier and just chant drivel that no-one else is interested in. The next thing you know they'll be wanting to bang a drum like pseudo South Americans!"

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Oh this is a tricky one. I'm not too far away from the PCB and we do try to join in with their songs - but it doesn't usually get much more eastwards. This is probably down to the acoustics and that the PCB has some very long (and dare I say dreary) songs with words that aren't clear and audible.

When a song starts on the east side of the NS we usually take up with that but then find the PCB are just carrying on with their own songs.

There isn't much that can be done about the PCB choosing the most acoustically poor place in the ground. They either need to move, or the club should introduce unallocated seating. The latter seems by far the most practical idea as the singers would naturally gravitate to that area. The only way to get the most out of our singers is to have them altogether and unmolested by picky, pathetic stewarding.

The club asked fans for ideas on how to improve the atmosphere and an unallocated seating section behind the NS goal is the easiest way to achieve what the club and fans want. If the club refuses to accommodate the singers in one place then they have no place to whine about the atmosphere.

The PCB could do their bit by dropping the long, dreary songs that few know the words to (and irritate other fans...yes...that yankee doodle nonsense) and if it is clear that a song from the east side has taken off they need to stop whatever they are singing and join in. A lot of the old favourites might not be as clever as some of the PCB songs but these are the songs that the majority will join in with.

I do appreciate the PCB's effort and endeavour though, particularly at away games. When we are away, the singers all gather together and we've had some cracking noise. Unless the PCB are able to move more central (and there would seem to be some resistance from the PCB to move) or the club introduce the common sense approach of having unallocated seating in the centre of the North, I see no end to these threads.

(And this is the bit I don't like having to say....look at how Palace do it! All their singers together, standing up, singing songs and waving flags, unmolested by petty stewarding. If the club is serious about wanting to improve the Amex atmosphere, the Palace model has to be the way to go).

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Oh this is a tricky one. I'm not too far away from the PCB and we do try to join in with their songs - but it doesn't usually get much more eastwards. This is probably down to the acoustics and that the PCB has some very long (and dare I say dreary) songs with words that aren't clear and audible.

When a song starts on the east side of the NS we usually take up with that but then find the PCB are just carrying on with their own songs.

There isn't much that can be done about the PCB choosing the most acoustically poor place in the ground. They either need to move, or the club should introduce unallocated seating. The latter seems by far the most practical idea as the singers would naturally gravitate to that area. The only way to get the most out of our singers is to have them altogether and unmolested by picky, pathetic stewarding.

The club asked fans for ideas on how to improve the atmosphere and an unallocated seating section behind the NS goal is the easiest way to achieve what the club and fans want. If the club refuses to accommodate the singers in one place then they have no place to whine about the atmosphere.

The PCB could do their bit by dropping the long, dreary songs that few know the words to (and irritate other fans...yes...that yankee doodle nonsense) and if it is clear that a song from the east side has taken off they need to stop whatever they are singing and join in. A lot of the old favourites might not be as clever as some of the PCB songs but these are the songs that the majority will join in with.

I do appreciate the PCB's effort and endeavour though, particularly at away games. When we are away, the singers all gather together and we've had some cracking noise. Unless the PCB are able to move more central (and there would seem to be some resistance from the PCB to move) or the club introduce the common sense approach of having unallocated seating in the centre of the North, I see no end to these threads.

(And this is the bit I don't like having to say....look at how Palace do it! All their singers together, standing up, singing songs and waving flags, unmolested by petty stewarding. If the club is serious about wanting to improve the Amex atmosphere, the Palace model has to be the way to go).

Other than sometimes once a game the stewards telling those in row P forward to sit down I haven't seen any stewarding issues in the NS this season (ignoring the Millwall game as that was a different problem).

gazfoster

PBC
Aug 11, 2013
Southwick

Now I do agree with you.. I'm under Police Box and we all want atmosphere at the amex to be buzzing , but we kind of hear what the other side of NS are singing, but there new set of lads under PB and there shouting out that Yankee doodle all the time which is Bullshit and giving us a shit name as you lot saying we don't want to join in with the rest but we do cause we all want to come together regarding singing, we would love to move in middle and get all the other singers with us it would be great but would Brighton allow us our own designated part of the NS..

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Now I do agree with you.. I'm under Police Box and we all want atmosphere at the amex to be buzzing , but we kind of hear what the other side of NS are singing, but there new set of lads under PB and there shouting out that Yankee doodle all the time which is Bullshit and giving us a shit name as you lot saying we don't want to join in with the rest but we do cause we all want to come together regarding singing, we would love to move in middle and get all the other singers with us it would be great but would Brighton allow us our own designated part of the NS..

There were plenty of empty seats in the middle of the North Stand on Saturday... and probably will be on Tuesday night... why not just move?

All time low today.

Albion go one nil up early on in important match. Cue lots of loud songs of celebration joined in by all parts as the mood allows... NOT.

What actually happens is the Police Box Club decide to launch into the one song that they know for a fact no-one else will join in ...

What were they singing? They can't be heard in my bit of the North Stand.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There were plenty of empty seats in the middle of the North Stand on Saturday... and probably will be on Tuesday night... why not just move?

The empty seats don't necessarily mean that they are available. You may have seen two empty seats together but that was because my other half & I were too ill to attend.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The empty seats don't necessarily mean that they are available. You may have seen two empty seats together but that was because my other half & I were too ill to attend.
I think Titanic means doing the old theatre trick of spotting where there are empty seats better placed than yours and then moving into them...

The stewards would probably intervene if done too obviously and en masse but it wouldn't take SAS training to get most of the PBC infiltrating NS central tomorrow night...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
What were they singing? They can't be heard in my bit of the North Stand.
I have the misfortune of being close to them in WSU and my (obvious on here) frustration comes from being able to hear most of what they do and how it relates to what else is audible from the North Stand.

On Saturday it was really striking that there was no proper extended celebration of our first goal as no chant managed to unite NS and WSU. There were two or three viable options started in NS, and same in WSU, but the PBC were too busy calling kitty in for her supper...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I think Titanic means doing the old theatre trick of spotting where there are empty seats better placed than yours and then moving into them...

The stewards would probably intervene if done too obviously and en masse but it wouldn't take SAS training to get most of the PBC infiltrating NS central tomorrow night...

This :thumbsup:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Hello Gaz, how come you have let these new lads take over with the Yankee Doodle song?
I'm glad you also don't like it, it's got to be the worst song I have heard at football.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
That Kevin bollox bloke to the left of the NS as you look out to the pitch doesn't help.... I can hear the PBC crew CLEARLY from that side then for some reason that nutter starts off a chant of his own, usually with the wrong words and woefully out of tune. Then everyone around him follows suit.

gazfoster

PBC
Aug 11, 2013
Southwick
Hello Gaz, how come you have let these new lads take over with the Yankee Doodle song?
I'm glad you also don't like it, it's got to be the worst song I have heard at football.

I don't mind the yankee doodle song but it would sound great if all north stand joined in...these little lads only have been under PB last couple home games, but we don't join in with them... hopefully they wont be there tomorrow..

goldstone68

Aug 31, 2014
darkside
At every home game bar two, one being the Arsenal game, the 5 or 6 seats behind me in the North section F have always been empty all season. I personally think that if any STH seats are not used more than ten times a season, then these seats should be allocated for sale the following season after notifying the seat holder of course who can opt to move to another part of the ground. The ground must know electronically when the card is swiped to get in for each sth seat, then maybe the central sections of the North can be filled up with people who want to sing etc . (or am I talking b******s?)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I don't mind the yankee doodle song but it would sound great if all north stand joined in...these little lads only have been under PB last couple home games, but we don't join in with them... hopefully they wont be there tomorrow..

Sorry I misunderstood you about the Yankee Doodle song, as you meant it was the young lads singing it was bullshite and not the song itself.

Personally I think we have more chance of getting promotion this season than the rest of the North Stand joining in with that song.

gazfoster

PBC
Aug 11, 2013
Southwick
Sorry I misunderstood you about the Yankee Doodle song, as you meant it was the young lads singing it was bullshite and not the song itself.

Personally I think we have more chance of getting promotion this season than the rest of the North Stand joining in with that song.

The 1st time it was sang ON SAT was by theses other group of knobs never seen them before..hopefully there walk away not return for tomorrows game, and the young lad who normally sings it is my mate, all we want to do is make amex buzzing again but obs the song isn't working...UTA

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The 1st time it was sang ON SAT was by theses other group of knobs never seen them before..hopefully there walk away not return for tomorrows game, and the young lad who normally sings it is my mate, all we want to do is make amex buzzing again but obs the song isn't working...UTA

Personally, I think you do a pretty remarkable job with those songs considering English isn't your first language.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here