Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Leadership' debate

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
More pantomime than theatre. Absolutely nothing more than mob induced hysteria at times - I really do not see the point of these head to heads, 1 to 1 interviews from a decent pundit are more telling eg Andrew Neil. Half the time it's student tossers who feel they have the right to show disrespect and utter contempt towards our leaders in 'their 5mins of fame'. Embarrassing and I wouldn't waste my time watching given past 'debates'

Privileged students who'll eventually move into immensely well paid jobs and mellow into Home Counties tories by the time they're in their forties.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I would suggest that the answer to that was self-evident. Raucous applause and whooping for pretty much everything Jezza said (and to a lesser extent Caroline) and silence for Amber - not even a polite smattering of applause, which might be expected from the Tory voters in the room, had there been any. Have a look on Twitter - I'm far from the only one who thinks the audience recruitment went seriously wrong.

In fairness Labour militants tend to be loud young types who positively queue to get into these TV audiences whilst any self respecting Tory is too busy making money to have time to attend such a circus....(tin helmets on everyone and take cover!)

larus

There are other explanations, which I don't need to offer, but will do if you can explain what evidence you have for your position. The BBC is publicly funded and made a clear claim that the audience is/was 'representative'. I trust the BBC on this, you quite clearly don't (and probably have a problem with trust in general), but I'm more interested in hearing why you don't trust the BBC.

What part of "even the BBC admit it's hard to police as people fib when applying for tickets" don't you get?

No-one is saying that the BBC clearly tried to create a left-wing bias, but if left-winger Reaminers said that in fact they were Tory leading Brexiters, how can the BBC know?

If it was balanced, then you would naturally expect more disdain towards Corbyn and more support for Rudd. But, due to the usual left-wing blinkers, you can't even see the obvious.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Privileged students who'll eventually move into immensely well paid jobs and mellow into Home Counties tories by the time they're in their forties.

Untrue. I was voting Tory by my thirties ;)

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
A few UKIP supporters managed to sneak in amongst the left wing audience?

Perhaps.
I'd venture that he did rather better than she did (though he was dealt a better hand - what with being leader and all)

You could have 95% of the fans in the Amex but if we play like we did against Bristol City then you'll spend most of the time listening to the 2,000 in the corner.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Perhaps.
I'd venture that he did rather better than she did (though he was dealt a better hand - what with being leader and all)

You could have 95% of the fans in the Amex but if we play like we did against Bristol City then you'll spend most of the time listening to the 2,000 in the corner.
A decent attempt to translate politics into football parlance but ultimately falls short. Needs more cliche IMO, the team that scores more votes will win etc.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I would suggest that the answer to that was self-evident. Raucous applause and whooping for pretty much everything Jezza said (and to a lesser extent Caroline) and silence for Amber - not even a polite smattering of applause, which might be expected from the Tory voters in the room, had there been any. Have a look on Twitter - I'm far from the only one who thinks the audience recruitment went seriously wrong.

Or perhaps it is because during this whole Election campaign the Conservative party has had nothing to say except Teresa May saying ''Vote for me because Jeremy Corbyn is rubbish''

Tonight was no different. The same negative politics and nothing positive about how to improve peoples lives. All they talked about was how difficult the future will be and nothing about easing those difficulties. That's why no one in the room had anything to cheer when they spoke.

The part which bugs me about Teresa may not attending is not the fact that she didn't because these debates don't sway enough people to alter the course of the eventual winners. It's the fact that no one has once openly challenged her reason for not attending.

She states that she would rather be out speaking to voters on the doorstep but she is not on people's doorsteps at 8pm at night. Someone really needs to say to her - ''Why can't you do both'' ?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
A decent attempt to translate politics into football parlance but ultimately falls short. Needs more cliche IMO, the team that scores more votes will win etc.

An own goal by May not turning up?
Not sure any of them dominated possession but Caroline Lucas was possibly the most clinical.
Paul Nuttall with a couple of long-range blockbusters.
Amber Rudd rather parked the bus I thought.
Leanne Wood guilty of being wasteful in front of goal.
Podiums for goalposts. Marvellous.

...and that's all I've got.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
What part of "even the BBC admit it's hard to police as people fib when applying for tickets" don't you get?

No-one is saying that the BBC clearly tried to create a left-wing bias, but if left-winger Reaminers said that in fact they were Tory leading Brexiters, how can the BBC know?

If it was balanced, then you would naturally expect more disdain towards Corbyn and more support for Rudd. But, due to the usual left-wing blinkers, you can't even see the obvious.

As you claim I have some enormous problem with understanding things, perhaps you could provide some evidence (rather than your opinion) for your claim.
Start with your opening salvo: "even the BBC admit it's hard to police as people fib when applying for tickets". Perhaps you could provide us all with a link to indicate where they've said this about tonight's debate? We're all waiting.
Next, deal with what was stated at the outset of the programme, which is that an opinion polling company selected the audience, which is clearly problematic for what you've claimed in this post.
Finally, stop and reflect and share with us why you've really thought that this is a good moment to come out as someone that's really attached to, and are an exemplification of, the notion of balance.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Or perhaps it is because during this whole Election campaign the Conservative party has had nothing to say except Teresa May saying ''Vote for me because Jeremy Corbyn is rubbish''

Tonight was no different. The same negative politics and nothing positive about how to improve peoples lives. All they talked about was how difficult the future will be and nothing about easing those difficulties. That's why no one in the room had anything to cheer when they spoke.

The part which bugs me about Teresa may not attending is not the fact that she didn't because these debates don't sway enough people to alter the course of the eventual winners. It's the fact that no one has once openly challenged her reason for not attending.

She states that she would rather be out speaking to voters on the doorstep but she is not on people's doorsteps at 8pm at night. Someone really needs to say to her - ''Why can't you do both'' ?

I think we all know why she doesn't participate. Because she doesn't come across well. It's strategy, ie the downside of people questioning why you don't attend is less than the downside of making a complete pigs ear of it. Lynton Crosby has probably had a hand in it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And shame on her leader for selecting her under those circumstances!

May missed the bun fight, rudeness, incompetence of Dimbleby in mismanaging the whole affair (not bias, just too weak and softly spoken), and a bunch of kids shouting over each other on stage who purport to be visionaries leading us. A wise move.

Some obsess about these leaders debates, most notably the TV media who like to think that they set the agenda. It's always the same - infantile put-downs, in between promising the earth.

I learnt far more from the brilliant grillings by the cerebral and very direct Andrew Neil.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not sure any of them dominated possession but Caroline Lucas was possibly the most clinical.

Wood squandered possession, tried to play on the counter-attack and failed to capitalise.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
May missed the bun fight, rudeness, incompetence of Dimbleby in mismanaging the whole affair (not bias, just too weak and softly spoken), and a bunch of kids shouting over each other on stage who purport to be visionaries leading us. A wise move.

Some obsess about these leaders debates, most notably the TV media who like to think that they set the agenda. It's always just infantile put-downs in between promising the earth.

I learnt far more from the brilliant grilling by cerebral and very direct Andrew Neil.

Dimbleby was about as incompetent as May tonight.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think we all know why she doesn't participate. Because she doesn't come across well. It's strategy, ie the downside of people questioning why you don't attend is less than the downside of making a complete pigs ear of it. Lynton Crosby has probably had a hand in it.

That's true. All of it but I would still like that question asked. It's not a difficult question to come up with. I have been waiting for it for over a week now and it hasn't happened ''Why cant you do both'' ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Superb fight back! The half time talk must have been IMMENSE! Excellent use of cliches...gets my vote ;)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I learnt far more from the brilliant grillings by the cerebral and very direct Andrew Neil.

Now, despite my utter loathing of British politics I have to agree. Andrew Neil is not only a clever thinking intelligent man, he also comes across as entertaining, and Paxman isn't bad either. Perhaps they should hold office.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Superb fight back! The half time talk must have been IMMENSE! Excellent use of cliches...gets my vote ;)
:thumbsup:

salt4.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

PM's of long standing governments never do. They would spend the whole time defending a real record warts and all, whereas someone like Lucas or Farron would be on a win-win: slagging off that real record by a Tory or Labour PM, whilst promising the earth. Knowing full well that they well never have to fulfil their shopping list.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here