Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raphael Dwamena RIP

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, its come down to this. I don't think its any exaggeration to say that we now have 5 days to save our season. If we don't get a quality striker in with pace and power, then we are f*cked.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Sad for him and sad for us. Just speculation (and kind of hope I'm right) but give it 18 months and he'll move for triple that money to a big team.

We have all the other positions down but still the main, most obviously vital one for 8 months now STILL to go. This will define our season as a huge difference between 18th and 15th. Doesn't have to be a world beater just a Prem league quality striker to bag 8-10 goals please!

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
The work permit clearance was always going to be finely balanced. Maybe it would have gone to appeal and with a finely balanced medical ( certainly not clear cut according to statement by FC Zurich as it was an issue previously picked up by them) looks like we have pulled the plug / got cold feet as we want certainty at this stage of the window. Think we would have wanted this one to have been proceeding under the radar if we could, but once out in the open, was always going to be a big risk.

Yes, became too risky considering it all and especially given the time left to sign someone else. The work permit situation alone wasn't a given, throw in a slightly dodgy medical (albeit this sounds much more than "slightly dodgy") and we have no choice other than to pull out. The whole situation is amplified by the fact that the clock is ticking. I'm expecting a chaotic week, brace yourselves ladies and gentlemen.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I really hope that the club's ECG machine isn't on the fritz.
Perhaps they have my doctor's old one. They gave me an ECG and then stood puzzling for 20 minutes as it came out as a sine wave. Never did find out why.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
How come ****ing Huddersfield got ALL their business sorted pretty much before the players reported back for pre-season training and ourselves and Newcastle are still thrashing around the top player bargain basement for increasingly expensive non-entities???!!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am guessing that we have moved into double figures on our striker choice now. We have had nearly four months to get someone in and I cannot believe that we waited until mid August to go after our first choice.

Whoever we get is gonna know he was way down the list of preferences and I would love to know if prices are going up or down as we move towards the window closing.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
How come ****ing Huddersfield got ALL their business sorted pretty much before the players reported back for pre-season training and ourselves and Newcastle are still thrashing around the top player bargain basement for increasingly expensive non-entities???!!!

When have Brighton ever completed their transfer business early?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

When have Brighton ever completed their transfer business early?

"It's just not the way we like to do business" Paul Barber :shrug:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I really hope this doesn't eventuate in us becoming so desperate to sign a striker that we end up with someone like f**king Emile Heskey.

Or that we're forced (like Palace) to pay top money (£30m+) for the player who's goals are going to keep us up.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Or that we're forced (like Palace) to pay top money (£30m+) for the player who's goals are going to keep us up.

If we sign someone as good as Benteke I'd be over the moon, to use a football cliche

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Neto had knee surgery immediately after we pulled the plug on that one, and the Swiss admit that they already knew about this 'deviation from the norm' or heart problem depending on your view.

I am starting to wonder how many clubs are trying to shift players with underlying medical conditions ???

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
There is more to this than meets the eye... I reckon

I have to agree with you there. Looking back at failed medicals involving English clubs there have been 6 failed medicals going back to 2001,
Van Nistleroy to Man U, John Carew to Fulham, Demba Ba to Stoke, Leroy Fey to Everton , Loic Remy to Liverpool and George Boyd to Notts Forest. They all went on to have good playing careers with other clubs. And we have somehow managed to have two failed medicals in 6 weeks. Amazing bad luck and also hard to believe.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jesus. 3 things

Thank god the problem has been spotted. The young man looks a great future talent and hope whatever problems there are are resolved quickly.

What a fantastic medical team we have. No such much dodging a bullet but identifying a problem that could have serious consequences for the player. We appear to be ahead of the game looking for such issues. I'd rather struggle in the league than witness a serious medical condition befall a player.

Lastly, what complete bad luck. Two players failing medicals.
Not so sure Clapham, the same 'problem' came up in Raphael's January transfer, so it's not so much to do with the fantastic medical team, esp as Neto's injuries were well documented too.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Well, its come down to this. I don't think its any exaggeration to say that we now have 5 days to save our season. If we don't get a quality striker in with pace and power, then we are f*cked.

17th April, more than 4 months ago we beat Wigan 2-1 and everybody in that stadium knew on that day that we were going to need a couple of new strikers in if we were to be competitive in the PL.
131 days down and only 5 to go... I can't see us winning this game of poker now unfortunately.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
17th April, more than 4 months ago we beat Wigan 2-1 and everybody in that stadium knew on that day that we were going to need a couple of new strikers in if we were to be competitive in the PL.
131 days down and only 5 to go... I can't see us winning this game of poker now unfortunately.

If we do, it will be at a huge cost and prices over the top IMHO

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have to agree with you there. Looking back at failed medicals involving English clubs there have been 6 failed medicals going back to 2001,
Van Nistleroy to Man U, John Carew to Fulham, Demba Ba to Stoke, Leroy Fey to Everton , Loic Remy to Liverpool and George Boyd to Notts Forest. They all went on to have good playing careers with other clubs. And we have somehow managed to have two failed medicals in 6 weeks. Amazing bad luck and also hard to believe.

No it's not.

Neto's injuries were well documented long before he arrived at the Albion.
I'm sure the club thought 'let's just take a look anyway'.

Raphael has a known heart problem but that's not stopped him playing for 6 months.
Either the club knew about or it didn't, the same problem appeared again only this time it's a £10m transfer, and the club (or the paperwork) said no.

There isn't 'more than meets the eye' the club are looking to shave money from transfer deals, and one way is by assessing players who, like all players, have a health risk, on both occasions the risks were deemed too great.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
No it's not.

Neto's injuries were well documented long before he arrived at the Albion.
I'm sure the club thought 'let's just take a look anyway'.

Raphael has a known heart problem but that's not stopped him playing for 6 months.
Either the club knew about or it didn't, the same problem appeared again only this time it's a £10m transfer, and the club (or the paperwork) said no.

There isn't 'more than meets the eye' the club are looking to shave money from transfer deals, and one way is by assessing players who, like all players, have a health risk, on both occasions the risks were deemed too great.

That's a theory that I must admit never came to my mind, so a possible more than meets the eye for me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here