Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderwood to Villa

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We need to keep going at 2 points a game, and Villa will not catch us.

ie a win tonight, and then we can settle for a draw on the last day of the season against that lot.

RE the stat from [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] about Villa needing 0.433 points per game more than us , I really do think if we can beat them tonight, we're effectively ending their automatic chances. Hopefully this will serve as that extra incentive to do that.

RE Villa wanting Stephens and Kayal. Stephens indicates that he wants to play in the PL. If he goes in January then that will be a load of old tosh. I would have thought that both Stephens and Kayal will be in a much better situation to wait until the summer before signing a new contract. Kayal less so than Stephens as he has had a bad history of injuries throughout his career, so security is likely to be more important to him

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'd definitely agree that Villa are a bigger club than the Albion, and probably have a better chance of going up than us over the long term. But, looking at this season, they have to get 0.433 points per game over 30 games more than us simply to catch up with us. Impossible? No, of course not, but I do subscribe to the theory that we have a better chance of going up than Villa this season.

Of course we do - I didn't suggest otherwise, and I'm not doing so now. That said, on these pages somewhere I disagree with people who wrote Villa off as a promotion force this season only a few weeks ago. I would be quite surprised if they do not feature in the play-offs.

Villa overhauling us is unlikely, particularly if we win tonight, but it's far from impossible. On the 13th January we were 11 points behind Middlesbrough. Additionally their goal difference was 21 better than ours AND they had a game in hand. There were 19 games to go (for us, 20 for them). As we all know, over those 19 games we nullified the points (and game in hand difference) and got oh-so-close with the goal difference - narrowing the gap by 19 goals.

Villa have 30 games to make up 13 points, or 14 if they can't also swing the current massive goal difference disparity. Beat us tonight and that's down to 10.

Do I think they'll beat us tonight? No. Do I think they'll finish above us this season? No, but it's not impossible.

I hope we smash the wankers tonight.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If we drop away to the point whereby Villa come anywhere NEAR overhauling us this season, then it certainly won't just be them we would have to worry about. There's basically half a division between us and them right now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If we drop away to the point whereby Villa come anywhere NEAR overhauling us this season, then it certainly won't just be them we would have to worry about. There's basically half a division between us and them right now.

Probably. Although I'm more worried* about Villa than all of Leeds, Birmingham, Bristol City, Preston, Brentford and Barnsley who are all above them right now.

(That's not to say I am worried about Villa, but I see them as more of a threat than the 6 clubs named above)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Of course we do - I didn't suggest otherwise, and I'm not doing so now.

Hmmm - I think you did suggest that they have a "better chance of going up than us"...

Any "we've got a better chance of going up than Villa" bollocks is just that: bollocks.

However, that may be semantics. I agree with all the following:......

That said, on these pages somewhere I disagree with people who wrote Villa off as a promotion force this season only a few weeks ago. I would be quite surprised if they do not feature in the play-offs.

Villa overhauling us is unlikely, particularly if we win tonight, but it's far from impossible. On the 13th January we were 11 points behind Middlesbrough. Additionally their goal difference was 21 better than ours AND they had a game in hand. There were 19 games to go (for us, 20 for them). As we all know, over those 19 games we nullified the points (and game in hand difference) and got oh-so-close with the goal difference - narrowing the gap by 19 goals.

Villa have 30 games to make up 13 points, or 14 if they can't also swing the current massive goal difference disparity. Beat us tonight and that's down to 10.

Do I think they'll beat us tonight? No. Do I think they'll finish above us this season? No, but it's not impossible.

...particularly this:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I really do think if we can beat them tonight, we're effectively ending their automatic chances.

Yes, that's where I am too. *Hostage to fortune*

However, they'll realise that too.. should be a cracking game (for the neutral - torture for fans of both clubs that are involved. Hey ho - it's why we go to watch)

I've said it elsewhere, and am happy to repeat it here: 2-0 to the good guys. *gulp*

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
I do get the "he has or might have personal issues " I really do but to be truly honest I don't see the problem in him sharing them with us, he works in the public eye to a degree, I personally would air my laundry dirty or otherwise in his position, unless of course the club or he has something to hide?

So he has no right to privacy? Wow!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Yes, it's semantics.

For the second "bollocks", read "irrelevant".

OK.

Just for the record, could you provide a list of other words that you type that we should replace with what you really meant to say? It'd aid understanding.

A starter for 10: "Goldstone1976 is a really solid guy". 'Solid guy' = '****'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Probably. Although I'm more worried* about Villa than all of Leeds, Birmingham, Bristol City, Preston, Brentford and Barnsley who are all above them right now.

(That's not to say I am worried about Villa, but I see them as more of a threat than the 6 clubs named above)

They've had a little "bounce" so far under Hamface, which you'd usually expect. I watched their 1-1 draw at Birmingham though, they looked VERY ropey there and could easily have got turned over, Birmingham missed some absolute SITTERS in that game and should've buried them. Following that, they've scrambled a 2-1 win at VP over an appalling Blackburn side.

They're a big club to be at this level, but they're here because they're really not very good. If we play to anything like our current form, it should be more than enough tonight.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yes, that's where I am too. *Hostage to fortune*

However, they'll realise that too.. should be a cracking game (for the neutral - torture for fans of both clubs that are involved. Hey ho - it's why we go to watch)

I've said it elsewhere, and am happy to repeat it here: 2-0 to the good guys. *gulp*

As another hostage to fortune, I'll feel even better if we smack five past the *****, because then the goal difference might make the difference more like 17, rather than 16, points.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
They've had a little "bounce" so far under Hamface, which you'd usually expect. I watched their 1-1 draw at Birmingham though, they looked VERY ropey there and could easily have got turned over, Birmingham missed some absolute SITTERS in that game and should've buried them. Following that, they've scrambled a 2-1 win at VP over an appalling Blackburn side.

They're a big club to be at this level, but they're here because they're really not very good. If we play to anything like our current form, it should be more than enough tonight.

I listened to that B'ham-Villa game on the radio (or much of it), and your summary very much rings true with what the commentators were saying.
Also, I'm with you about us, if we play on the top of our game, with that level of intensity, I'm confident that we'll succeed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
His work here is done anyway.

Former top-flight and international (and Scotland at that - so he had to work hard) defender Calderwood has coached Lewis Dunk to a whole new level, helped get Goldson up to Championship pace and helped make the Dunk/Duffy partnership the best in the division.

He must feel the need to go somewhere where he'll have to work a bit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I listened to that B'ham-Villa game on the radio (or much of it), and your summary very much rings true with what the commentators were saying.
Also, I'm with you about us, if we play on the top of our game, with that level of intensity, I'm confident that we'll succeed.

Kodjia is a handful, and I rate Ayew (is he out injured? That'd be handy), so they're certainly not without threat. But we have the tools to nullify them and dismantle them, if we're on our game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Of course we do - I didn't suggest otherwise, and I'm not doing so now. That said, on these pages somewhere I disagree with people who wrote Villa off as a promotion force this season only a few weeks ago. I would be quite surprised if they do not feature in the play-offs.

Thanks for that.
I was very slowly edging towards unprecedented feelings of hope and expectations.

You've single handedly quashed my budding dreams of happiness and elation.
I can now retreat to my safe place and carry on saying:-

That genuinely makes me a lot happier.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Am sure the unity of our players and the encouragement of our fans will see us through this current situation.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Am I completely in the wrong for not really caring that much? CH is the manager, not him. Sure, it might rock the boat a bit but that's it.

This is similar to when NJ got a whole heap of crap on here when he was assistant instead of the manager. Why do so many people believe that the assistants are the brains of the operation?!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Kodjia is a handful, and I rate Ayew (is he out injured? That'd be handy), so they're certainly not without threat. But we have the tools to nullify them and dismantle them, if we're on our game.

Kodjia played c60 minutes mid-week, and I think Ayew is available. McCormack is suspended. The claim is Elbows is unavailable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here