Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alien Abduction meeeting in Brighton

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Just as a matter of fact;

were you planning to state any facts on the matter? the clock is clearly not drawn to even segments, the whole theory is bollocks. the reasons for 60, 24, 12 are archaic retention of ancient customs by preists probably trying to make it esoteric to the serfs. there once was 10 months, until Julius Caesar and Augustus Caesar went all power mad. 30 days is just a nearest approximation that follows. 365 is a given from observation.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
I think the trouble people are having is the difference between a single arbitrarily defined measurement and the relationship of that measurement to physical processes.

For example, we could ditch the hour and instead have the grolok. It so happens that there are 15 groloks in a day. However we cannot redefine the concept of a day being the time it takes for the Earth to fully rotate. We could rename the day, or create another new measurement of jarlies, with 20 groloks in a jarly, but none of these things alter the speed of rotation of the Earth (as far as I know).

'Day' and 'year' are labels we put on physical phenomena and make our lives simpler. 'Hour' and 'month' are completely arbitrary but of use to subdivide days and years. Very different things.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Same shit, same response I suppose.

Ironically though I do quite enjoy your posts about football, very insightful.

Badfish, don't get me wrong. You really are like a brother to me (younger). Ironically a lot of your political based threads I find just as compelling and I can see where your talents lie.
The only tip I could possibly give you- 'Life's too short, to drink cheap wine'.
When are we meeting up my good old chum?

12.36 lunar phases.

Or alternatively 365.24 appearances of the sun, or revolutions of the earth on its axis.

As [MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION] pointed out, there are definite celestial forces which determine the length of some events, and we can use one set of events (e.g. one revolution of the earth on its axis) to define others (e.g. lunar phases). What is arbitrary (as far as I'm aware) is the number of hours in a day and smaller measurements than that. We've scaled these to fit into celestial events (e.g. 24 hours in one revolution of the earth on its axis).

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So, it is a matter of convenience - ie. man made. Good .

Yep, it took thousands of years of trial and error to perfect what we have today. Just working out how many sunrises to a year took a lot of research and the science to it was building systems similar to the Stone Henge set up. Obviously they knew what they had to do before they put the stones in place.

That said in any other solar system an advanced civilisation would probably have their calendar and time based around the number 6 just because it is the best number to use.

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
were you planning to state any facts on the matter? the clock is clearly not drawn to even segments, the whole theory is bollocks. the reasons for 60, 24, 12 are archaic retention of ancient customs by preists probably trying to make it esoteric to the serfs. there once was 10 months, until Julius Caesar and Augustus Caesar went all power mad. 30 days is just a nearest approximation that follows. 365 is a given from observation.

It's not a theory, I got it from watching a program on it :lolol:

I didn't make it up

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think the trouble people are having is the difference between a single arbitrarily defined measurement and the relationship of that measurement to physical processes.

For example, we could ditch the hour and instead have the grolok. It so happens that there are 15 groloks in a day. However we cannot redefine the concept of a day being the time it takes for the Earth to fully rotate. We could rename the day, or create another new measurement of jarlies, with 20 groloks in a jarly, but none of these things alter the speed of rotation of the Earth (as far as I know).

'Day' and 'year' are labels we put on physical phenomena and make our lives simpler. 'Hour' and 'month' are completely arbitrary but of use to subdivide days and years. Very different things.

Exactly.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Badfish, don't get me wrong. You really are like a brother to me (younger). Ironically a lot of your political based threads I find just as compelling and I can see where your talents lie.
The only tip I could possibly give you- 'Life's too short, to drink cheap wine'.
When are we meeting up my good old chum?

Whenever you are in Perth old mate, we can meet up for some cheap wine.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

Thank you! (Except that there are actually 21 groloks in a jarly...but who's counting? )

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Excellent. You should be starting to get my point by now? We took a concept and gave it a name so we could all understand it. Hence "time".

So if we take a concept like aliens and label it 'UFO' to help us understand. Why do you choose a close minded approach with a tendency to write things off when we're looking for understanding on a 'UFO thread?

Are you trying to get our point yet?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
So if we take a concept like aliens and label it 'UFO' to help us understand. Why do you choose a close minded approach with a tendency to write things off when we're looking for understanding on a 'UFO thread?

Are you trying to get our point yet?

What utter piffle.

I believe in UFO's, they exist. I don't believe UFO's are piloted by cosmic mind thieves from Blargon 5 intent on fingering my anus.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
What utter piffle.

I don't believe UFO's are cosmic mind thieves from Blargon 5 intent on fingering my anus.

What!? I've never heard anything like that before? Are you suggesting the Aliens are homosexuals or are these extremely horny female aliens you're talking about?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Excellent. You should be starting to get my point by now? We took a concept and gave it a name so we could all understand it. Hence "time".

You're point has been point forward so badly, it might well have Saussure turning in his grave.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You're point has been point forward so badly, it might well have Saussure turning in his grave.

My point got somewhat muddied and less coherant as I tried to search for different ways to try and explain the same thing to you while you sat there no doubt with an expression on your face of a man trying to look up an ant's backside.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
My point got somewhat muddied and less coherant as I tried to search for different ways to try and explain the same thing to you while you sat there no doubt with an expression on your face of a man trying to look up an ant's backside.

Why do you always finish everything on the anus topic?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
What!? I've never heard anything like that before? Are you suggesting the Aliens are homosexuals or are these extremely horny female aliens you're talking about?

Ah, we're at that stage in the thread are we. Tatty bye.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here