Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

AnnJoseph

Banned
Apr 6, 2016
Hii friends,

I have some spam for sale, and I think it's morally acceptable to freeload on someone else's site rather than create my own. That's because I'm a winker, frankly.

Anyway, if you'd like to buy my spam, please do so at www.imaspammytwat.com

Last edited by a moderator:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Too cold for running today. Couple of hours walking on the Downs was enough. Still eating madly. Big mistake last year was controlling food input over last 10 days with loading for final 3 days. a few pounds weight loss the aim. It didn't work. This year I need a few pounds extra before kick off to see me through. Fast metabolism I have and why the marathon is a challenge.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Too cold for running today. Couple of hours walking on the Downs was enough. Still eating madly. Big mistake last year was controlling food input over last 10 days with loading for final 3 days. a few pounds weight loss the aim. It didn't work. This year I need a few pounds extra before kick off to see me through. Fast metabolism I have and why the marathon is a challenge.

Who carbo loads here and who's against it? I vaguely remember Dazzer saying it's nonsense. My mate I go to games with who's done 4 marathons and regularly does 80 mile bike rides says pasta is the way forward. And [MENTION=13251]Lord Bamber[/MENTION] another marathon expert was good enough to send me his recommended diet for the last week that loads it up in the last two days having reduced it in the four before..

As ever a glance at the wider internet shows NSC to be a perfect microcosm of society. Exactly the same arguments, those that say it's pointless / damaging, those that swear by it and those that have a bit of extra pasta for a couple of days.

I'm going to try the diet I was sent. it can't do any harm and I've lost the 4 kilos I put on at Xmas. Plus the Saturday menu is full of bananas, pasta and bagels which are three of my favourite things, but not on the same plate.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Who carbo loads here and who's against it? I vaguely remember Dazzer saying it's nonsense. My mate I go to games with who's done 4 marathons and regularly does 80 mile bike rides says pasta is the way forward. And [MENTION=13251]Lord Bamber[/MENTION] another marathon expert was good enough to send me his recommended diet for the last week that loads it up in the last two days having reduced it in the four before..

As ever a glance at the wider internet shows NSC to be a perfect microcosm of society. Exactly the same arguments, those that say it's pointless / damaging, those that swear by it and those that have a bit of extra pasta for a couple of days.

I'm going to try the diet I was sent. it can't do any harm and I've lost the 4 kilos I put on at Xmas. Plus the Saturday menu is full of bananas, pasta and bagels which are three of my favourite things, but not on the same plate.

I seem to be getting lots of mixed messages. Everyone seems to have their own system which works for them, based on trial and error. I have been advised to load on carbs for the last few days, others recommend no change to your diet at all in the last week and Paula Radcliffe today on radio 2 recommended anyone running a marathon should consume as much protein as possible in the 2 weeks before race day. :shrug:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

First marathon, ate loads of pasta but more recently I've pretty much eaten my normal diet in the lead up to race day.

I remember I ate nothing in the morning before 2013 BM. That was a BIG mistake...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

It's horses for courses. My 4 day binge has got me back to weight and so back to normal. I will be concentrating on extra coconut oil with the every day porridge, banana, walnut, linseeds, raisins, dried apricot, sunflower seed and cinnamon breakfast. Having the brunch of mussels, cider vinegar, cumin oil, pepper with homemade oat and caraway seed bread. An hour later I will have a bowl of greens picked from the allotment. Kale, chard or winter broccoli. The water it is cooked in will be drunk as a hot drink. A couple of crumpets in the afternoon. Just had a beautiful curry made for me. Prawn and lentil,, an aubergine and chick pea choli and 50/50 brown basmati/quinoa mix (works well). Maybe a pre bed snack and picking at oranges, grapes, carrots whatever through the day. The bottle of red shouldn't be in there but maybe stop drink after Forest game.
This year I will be entering the final taper week just over full. Last year I got hungry in the starting corral. Not a good omen.

Enjoy the eating. One of the benefits of all that training.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Must add good oils and fats such as avocado, olive, cumin, coconut are imperative for sinewy types like myself. Especially after a training plan encouraging the body to use fats as the energy source. #9:30-10:00 mile pace training.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
All this talk about food is making me nervous. I was planning a couple slices of toast and an energy bar in the morning.

Full English sounds much better! This will be my first year so not sure of the layout, is there only one set of portaloos? Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
All this talk about food is making me nervous. I was planning a couple slices of toast and an energy bar in the morning.

Full English sounds much better! This will be my first year so not sure of the layout, is there only one set of portaloos? Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen!

This page starts with spam, as well.

The toilets are between the corrals and bag drop off area. We need a better plan I agree. I know most of the boys but you don't.
Someone will sort it out.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Where are the 3.45ers meeting before the race?

Preston Park Cafe. Full English, please!

After my plans for Hastings Half Maybe I should not plan it. South of the portaloos maybe? We will all need them and the bushes above are nearby.

I was trying to set up a whatsapp group in case we miss each other on the day. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] are on already. Knocky prefers smoke signals so we'll post stuff on here up to late on the night before.

I'd suggest Preston Park cafe as well, the entrance which faces away from the London Road. Last year that's where I met my BM10K team. Portaloos are the other side of the caff, bag drop to the top. race info and mass warm up to the right and there were porridge and coffee vans by the clock at the top. I'm going to get there about 7.45 and will have the REMF running vest on over a blue technical top and this season's black away shorts. A few of the guys know me anyway.

I'm going to have porridge, honey and banana just before I leave the house (had that before every long training run) and bring an energy bar.

[MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] PM me your name and number if you want to join a whatsapp group. [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] let me know by PM if you do too.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
https://www.facebook.com/PrestonParkChaletCafe/

This one? The Chalet Cafe. TheIr is another one I won't name to avoid confusion.

Good place @Guiness Boy. With a 9:15 start I was looking at 8:15 to 8:30 in the Park. With my tracking skills I should be able to follow your trail through the Park and meet up with you all, especially I know now what your breakfast would have been.

Just a note that bringing an unwanted top on the day can keep you warm whilst hanging around and can be discarded by the corral.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Memory certainly going with age. Went for sub 21 Parkrun. Failed in 21:01.Got home to write into training plan and it says Saturday REST. Still had 5 days off this week and missed the 3x 1 mile intervals on Thursday. Will take the 10 miles tomorrow slightly easier than usual. Main thing is the legs have been reminded what they have to do to shoot down [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] just before 1pm next Sunday. Unless I have come a cropper, of course.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
https://www.facebook.com/PrestonParkChaletCafe/

This one? The Chalet Cafe. TheIr is another one I won't name to avoid confusion.

Good place @Guiness Boy. With a 9:15 start I was looking at 8:15 to 8:30 in the Park. With my tracking skills I should be able to follow your trail through the Park and meet up with you all, especially I know now what your breakfast would have been.

Just a note that bringing an unwanted top on the day can keep you warm whilst hanging around and can be discarded by the corral.

Yes that one.

I'm on the Actimel to keep the colds at bay. A congested 80 year old could track me at the moment :lolol:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Memory certainly going with age. Went for sub 21 Parkrun. Failed in 21:01.Got home to write into training plan and it says Saturday REST. Still had 5 days off this week and missed the 3x 1 mile intervals on Thursday. Will take the 10 miles tomorrow slightly easier than usual. Main thing is the legs have been reminded what they have to do to shoot down [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] just before 1pm next Sunday. Unless I have come a cropper, of course.

Good time with one week to go!

Managed another 10 miles here, land back in the UK on Sunday morning and hoping to get a longish run in that afternoon depending on how much sleep I get on the plane.
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] please add me to the what's app group - be good to keep up with what's going on - by the way one bit of advice don't rely on phone/ text contact on the day - especially at the finish - the network will be completely flooded.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
11 miles today in 1:16:03 - felt pretty good but could feel a bit of tightness in my hamstring and groin isn't feeling great. I might try and get a sports massage in ASAP.

Saw [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] in my first mile today.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
A very hilly 17.1 miles 2:33:49 for me today - my broken toe is now fully healed, I didn't feel any affect today at all which is very important ahead of the Marathon next week. I've not really been able to train at all, so I'm having to try and get myself back into running. I've been working for Deliveroo recently, so I've got my cycling legs on but I need the running legs back in the space of a week!

Good to see [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] out for a few strides along the promenade but I ventured into the trail up to the Devils Dyke from Foredown Tower and never again will I make that mistake! Puddles of mud which swallowed my whole foot and ankle, not cool man, not cool.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Hi all,

After 2/3 weeks out with the flu, I feel a bit more on track after an 18 miler last Tues. I caught the train to Littlehampton from Hove and ran back, quite a nice way to get a sense of the distance travelled! Also did my fastest 10k yesterday. So feel a bit more on track for next week and London the week after. I want to keep the ball rolling after the marathons, so was looking at 10k' and 5k's. Can anyone recommend any particularly good events in the next few months. Was looking at Burgess Hill 10K to begin with, has anyone done that before or doing it this year?

Cheers all and good luck for next week for all those running.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
19 weeks to the Iceland Marathon so stepping up the miles whilst most people here are tapering for Brighton or London. 17 hilly miles for today at bang on my target Marathon Pace of 11 minute miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/540916683

Distance 17.0m
Moving Time 3:06:16
Pace 10:57/mi
Elevation 1,168ft
Calories 3,020

I will be stewarding at zone 4 on Sunday so will be at miles 14/15 and 24/25 so will look our for everybody. Hope to join [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] in the pub after I have finished (6.30am to 4pm)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here