Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help needed: how much should a new combi-boiler cost?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think what this thread shows is that boiler installation charges are massively variable ?

I'm ultra cautious with these things having been ripped off on a number of occasions by "plumbers". I quote that because on at least three occasions they weren't and it wasn't until I was helped out by Rowdey on here, I got my trust back !

I was just unlucky.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Someone is taking the piss we just had one done £400 for the boiler and £300 labour.

The boiler was on a deal but that is irrelevant here, all the resident plumbers got a bit touchy with me because they know a grand to change a boiler is taking the piss out of the average homeowner.

I would say the boiler price is relevant to this thread, as the OP was asking about prices. I replied to you because I couldn't find a boiler that cheap in the Plumbfix ( Screwfix) book.
You also haven't mentioned any materials or sundries for this job. ( pipe, fittings, inhibitor, fixings, flux and solder)

The OP hasn't mentioned what is included in his estimate of £2200, so it MAY NOT be a straight swop.
As others have mentioned on this thread prices have included new radiator valves, pipe work alterations and new electrical controls.

Other replies on here range from £1250- £2700.

I haven't got ' touchy ' with you because you got a cheap job, fair play to you for knowing someone in the trade, when I did site work myself and a mate spent most weekends doing private work for friends and other trades at discount prices.

I don't like being accused of being OB though :)

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
I had a back boiler in my lounge behind the fire. Had it all ripped out and a Worcester put in the cupboard up in my bedroom, flue through the roof. All that, new pipe work, new replacement rads throughout and a new one plumbed into the lounge, towel rail in bathroom, new bathroom and kitchen taps along with flush, new thermostatic valves etc was £2.5k took 2 of them just over 2 days and it was done done between xmas and new year as ours was suddenly condemned and we had young kids. Legends.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You can look up online how much the boiler costs and then expect 300/400 hundred for a swap over. Very rarely is it a straight swap if you have had the old one for a few years either. It's a good earner for the gas boys as they can do one in a day if all goes right.
What boiler is in your quote Buzzer ?

Hi. It's to replace an old Indesit with a new Wordester 25Si. Many thanks all for your help in this thread.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We're looking to replace our old combi boiler in our bathroom and just had a quote for around £2,200, is that the going rate please? Seems a little high to me but I must confess I'm completely ignorant about these things.

many thanks in advance.

I hope you sort your boiler out ..i used Swales Heating earlier this year .. they weren't the cheapest but i liked the service contract they offered amongst other things

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I would say the boiler price is relevant to this thread, as the OP was asking about prices. I replied to you because I couldn't find a boiler that cheap in the Plumbfix ( Screwfix) book.
You also haven't mentioned any materials or sundries for this job. ( pipe, fittings, inhibitor, fixings, flux and solder)

The OP hasn't mentioned what is included in his estimate of £2200, so it MAY NOT be a straight swop.
As others have mentioned on this thread prices have included new radiator valves, pipe work alterations and new electrical controls.

Other replies on here range from £1250- £2700.

I haven't got ' touchy ' with you because you got a cheap job, fair play to you for knowing someone in the trade, when I did site work myself and a mate spent most weekends doing private work for friends and other trades at discount prices.

I don't like being accused of being OB though :)
Yeah that was a bit harsh to be honest mate.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
To try and drag this back on on topic. I'm getting some new radiators, is there any reasons not to replace them all with double panels. We've only recently moved in so I don't know what the existing single panel ones are like, but I can't see a reason not to go for them other than initial cost, and perhaps they stick further into the room.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
To try and drag this back on on topic. I'm getting some new radiators, is there any reasons not to replace them all with double panels. We've only recently moved in so I don't know what the existing single panel ones are like, but I can't see a reason not to go for them other than initial cost, and perhaps they stick further into the room.

Go for double panel/single convector in the middle - they don't sit out so far.
Each manufacturer calls them by different names/codes.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Oh the fun I miss when I don't check NSC.
Obviously the ops question is a "how long is a piece of string" thing.
Simmo as ever is both reasonably accurate and a little rude ;).
FWIW I would be anxious about any boiler retailing at much under a grand, and wouldn't expect change out of £500 to have it installed, fired up and signed off. Oh and fitting a magnaclean or similar and adding inhibitor should really be included out they're doing a poxy job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here