Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Classic Live albums

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Had the joy of seeing Cheap Trick at Camber Sands. They're cracking live. I can't extricate myself from regarding Nirvana's Unplugged in New York as my favourite live album.

I've seen them twice at the old Hammersmith Odeon back in the 80s. Agree, they're a really great live act. As an aside Surrender is the perfect pop rock song which takes on a slightly strange angle when you start listening to the subject matter. It's brilliant.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've seen them twice at the old Hammersmith Odeon back in the 80s. Agree, they're a really great live act. As an aside Surrender is the perfect pop rock song which takes on a slightly strange angle when you start listening to the subject matter. It's brilliant.

I started my gig-going at the Odeon in the 80s, 1984 I think, and frequented it and other Hammersmith haunts a fair few times that decade.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

I'm reading Costello's autobiography at the moment and he mentions Cheap Trick as a rarely noticed influence on The Attractions. Its good to see them getting a bit of credit as they spent quite a few years being dismissed and always had interestingly twisted songs. He also mentions Tom Petty's 'American Girl' as an influence that he wouldn't have shouted about at the height of punk. That's on another very good live album 'Pack Up The Plantation.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyStwRYLzlI&list=PL32A558EF746E97D7

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
Daft Punk - Alive

My favourite time to listen to it is on a long car journey....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm reading Costello's autobiography at the moment and he mentions Cheap Trick as a rarely noticed influence on The Attractions. Its good to see them getting a bit of credit as they spent quite a few years being dismissed and always had interestingly twisted songs. He also mentions Tom Petty's 'American Girl' as an influence that he wouldn't have shouted about at the height of punk. That's on another very good live album 'Pack Up The Plantation.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyStwRYLzlI&list=PL32A558EF746E97D7

Apparently when Roger McGuinn heard "American Girl", he commented that he'd forgotten that he wrote it, probably down his substance abuse in the 60's. He was very surprised to hear it was a Tom Petty original. Any Byrds fan would be able to see why McGuinn made that mistake though.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Woodstock. Santana, The Who, CSN&Y, Ten Years After et al, plus Ritchie Havens amazing set. The stage announcements/crowd chants are pretty cool too.

Not just an album, but a social document.

:flypig: Stay away from the brown acid! :flypig:

My suggestions:

Rainbow - On Stage

Jethro Tull - Bursting Out

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
On Your Feet or on Your Knees - Blue Oyster Cult;
Irish Tour - Rory Gallagher;
The Who - Live at Leeds;
Peter Gabriel Plays Live.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Apparently when Roger McGuinn heard "American Girl", he commented that he'd forgotten that he wrote it, probably down his substance abuse in the 60's. He was very surprised to hear it was a Tom Petty original. Any Byrds fan would be able to see why McGuinn made that mistake though.

That was actually a joke he made later, some time after he had covered it. McGuinn presumably also forgot that he didn't write most of The Byrds songs that influenced 'American Girl.' When they weren't covering Dylan songs, Gene Clarke was doing most of the heavy lifting.

Petty never really hid his influences. There is a version of 'So You Wanna Be A Rock'n'Roll Star' on that live album.

On a similar topic, in his book, Costello mentions that 'Pump it Up' takes a fairly obvious influence from 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' and goes on to say that Bob Dylan joked to him after hearing U2's 'Get on Your Boots' that he should be annoyed that they had ripped off Costello's song. Costello points out that the writer of 'Too Much Monkey Business', Chuck Berry could have made the same joke to Dylan

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That was actually a joke he made later, some time after he had covered it. McGuinn presumably also forgot that he didn't write most of The Byrds songs that influenced 'American Girl.' When they weren't covering Dylan songs, Gene Clarke was doing most of the heavy lifting.

Petty never really hid his influences. There is a version of 'So You Wanna Be A Rock'n'Roll Star' on that live album.

On a similar topic, in his book, Costello mentions that 'Pump it Up' takes a fairly obvious influence from 'Subterranean Homesick Blues' and goes on to say that Bob Dylan joked to him after hearing U2's 'Get on Your Boots' that he should be annoyed that they had ripped off Costello's song. Costello points out that the writer of 'Too Much Monkey Business', Chuck Berry could have made the same joke to Dylan

Good in depth knowledge there :thumbsup:

In fairness to McGuinn, the Byrds versions of Dylan songs are very very different and sometime hardly recognisable from the Dylan versions. The Byrds style very clearly influenced Petty. Didn't Petty and the Heartbreakers also spend a while as Dylan's backing band?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Good in depth knowledge there :thumbsup:

In fairness to McGuinn, the Byrds versions of Dylan songs are very very different and sometime hardly recognisable from the Dylan versions. The Byrds style very clearly influenced Petty. Didn't Petty and the Heartbreakers also spend a while as Dylan's backing band?

A little more than a backing band as they did play a few Petty songs in the show but obviously mainly Dylan songs

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hated by the band apparently - the mix is terrible.

Really? I have the album and it's never jumped out at me as a bad mix. I bought it in the 80s so it's not remastered or anything. Mind you, I've not listened to it in decades so maybe it does sound shit today?

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Agree with:
Misty In Roots - Live at the Counter Eurovision
Hawkwind - Space Ritual
Who - Live At Leeds
Motorhead - No Sleep Till Hammersmith
Ramones - It's Alive
AC/DC - If You Want Blood
Johnny Cash - Live At San Quentin

Will add:
Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Weld - with the notable exception of the cover of Blowin' In the Wind, I prefer this to Live Rust
James Brown - Live at the Apollo
Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison
Nirvana - Unplugged (live in front of TV audience)
Spiritualized - Royal Albert Hall 1997

Best live DVD / concert movie ever has to be Prince - Sign 'O' The Times movie
Here's the opening track - it will make you exhausted just watching it. How he did another 2 hours like this every night is astonishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYMnh1ZSj4M&list=PLqS2JpXB5w_WVNfZYNrvBNjTEee3FL6Jp

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Bill Withers - Live at Carnegie Hall.

I've never been able to find it anywhere else but my friend's dad had a vinyl copy of Otis Redding live at the Monterrey festival. That was incredible to hear.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
A little more than a backing band as they did play a few Petty songs in the show but obviously mainly Dylan songs

I thought that they supported Dylan and then became his backing band in the second half of the show, but don't know for sure. The connection later allowed Petty to persuade Dylan out of his house to come and play with what became the Travelling Wilburys, which got Dylan back to writing and recording again. I think that Petty also produced a solo album for McGuinn around the same time.

This has all reminded me that, although not an official release at the time, Dylan Live 1966 from the Bootleg Series may be my favourite Bob Dylan album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35gheud5xBo&list=PLuk4y7EULLADezaG1UUpcfJS4JB8VRz3g

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here