Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New LB from Premier League Club - Joe Bennett Signs

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
2 x loanees plus a free.

Must mean we are going to spend BIG on the striker we need.

Well I'm guessing that the two loanees and the free are probably costing the best part of £2Million in wages (I don't know). I take your point that we should be able to buy a decent striker. Not sure how much when you say spend BIG. (Transfer fee? and wages).

I don't think we will finish there. Don't forget the possibility of the lad from Cork. We have CMS and COG. We could really do with two strikers to cover our ineviatable injuries. Time will tell.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Is it me or have we just signed Aaron Ramsey?
3213019.jpg

Looks more like er... David Bentley. Is that who I mean? The recently retired Beckham lookalike.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sounds like another Ashley Neal...I am fed up with these diarrhoea signings..... 23000 plus season ticket holders and we being taken for mugs.......

Yeah the quality of loanee left backs we have had over the last two seasons has been embarrassing.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Those boro tweets are embarrassing . Their opinion but I'm not having that . Player of the season , 80 games championship , 2.75 million move to a premier league team ,

No way is this bloke as pony as they say . Bitter !

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Those boro tweets are embarrassing . Their opinion but I'm not having that . Player of the season , 80 games championship , 2.75 million move to a premier league team ,

No way is this bloke as pony as they say . Bitter !

It's quite incredible how history is rewritten if a player has the temerity to move to another club. Sure, most players have their weaknesses, but don't forget the positives when a player 'insults you' by leaving your team.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
God i hope he's better than Mickey Bennett. He gave the ball to the opposition so much it was like playing against 12 men!

And he was one of our better players in those days :lolol:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Like someone else said, £2.75m move from Boro, he clearly wasn't that bad. Missing out on Ward, may have been a blessing in disguise. If the lad settles well down here, he could be a decent left back....Now just need that statement signing up front and we could be in business.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Villa fan here and I thought I'd offer my tuppenceworth,

Firstly, I won't try and embellish the fact that it hasn't worked out for him with us and his is likely the beginning of the end of his Villa career especially given the arrival of Aly Cissokho. His first season was poor, he didn't settle from the off and always seemed overawed by the pressure of being thrown into a Premier League side. His biggest problem in my opinion is his mental strength. He often came across as jittery and unconfident in his perfomances. This wasn't helped at all by the fans quickly turning on him, he along with Bannan were specifically singled out and I don't think he's ever recovered.

He missed a lot of last season due to injury, so never got the run he needed to stake a claim. Bertrand was then loaned in January which killed off his chances really. As a player I've seem glimpses to believe that he isn't as bad as some of our fans make out though. He is competent technically and can whip in a mean ball when he gets forward. I wouldn't say he is an instrinsically bad defender either. As I eluded to already, when he is low on confidence, he can become very rash and clumsy in his play. It should be noted that Paul Lambert is a poor defensive coach and his system leaves the full-backs heavily exposed also. One thing he could improve on is his strength, a bit powderpuff at times.

Anyway, this move is ideal for him and I hope he can find his way. He really needs a run of games and he couldn't have gone to a better club. Good luck to you guys also, I like what Brighton have been doing over the last few years, it'd be nice to see you continue your progression.

Thanks for coming on and giving an honest opinion. Soft spot for Villa myself, my goalkeeper was a former Villa player, Nigel Spinks.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Found it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19416943

"The Rochdale-born player, who graduated through Middlesbrough's youth academy, started 84 games for the Teeside club and won their 2010-11 player of the year award.
He made 41 appearances in the Championship for Tony Mowbray's men last season and was named the North East Football Writers' Association's young player of the year."

So boro fans saying that he's shit may be a bit bitter.

One said young player if the year award but dunno

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Like someone else said, £2.75m move from Boro, he clearly wasn't that bad. Missing out on Ward, may have been a blessing in disguise. If the lad settles well down here, he could be a decent left back....Now just need that statement signing up front and we could be in business.

You seem a lot more cheerful. Only the other day, Bloom was destroying the club.

It doesn't need to be a statement signing. You don't need to mortgage the family business to sign a diamond.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You seem a lot more cheerful. Only the other day, Bloom was destroying the club.

It doesn't need to be a statement signing. You don't need to mortgage the family business to sign a diamond.

Lol, me and many others. I admit I was concerned at the lack of signings and I still think more should have been done in the summer. Far to say I think that Teixeira with Holla, were the difference against Leeds( a fairly average side) and it was there first full games(six points had already basically been surrendered). I still think we are a bit short, in the squad and without a top class striker we will struggle to take them chances when they matter most. Win against Bolton on Saturday and we will be right back on track. True it's only the start of the season, but it's not ideal playing catch up, even at this early stage of the season.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Maybe mate - someone may be able to confirm?

Like I say really not trying to be negative but this just reminds me of Obika big time!

Obika was never bought for £2.75 million by a Premier League team. Bennett is clearly better than certain Middlesbrough fans are giving him credit for. Think how some of our fans on Twitter would behave if Barnes was sold by Burnley to a Championship team and they were asked for their views on him.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The view from a Villa supporting mate:

He's technically a very good footballer. Sweet left foot, good going forward......but defensively, an accident waiting to happen. Gives away silly free kicks, can be bullied/skinned by most decent wingers. Would make a good wing back

So, a few positives there. Obviously he won't be coming up against the same standard of winger as he was in the Prem.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Pleased we've got him in, welcome to the club Joe, hope you do well :thumbsbup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here