Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Salmond Effigy To Be Burnt Tonight At Lewes....

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I doubt these were direct and, in effect, simply hot air which can be discounted. How would someone in Scotland be able to find an unknown person & kill someone in England at a few hours notice?
A decent poker player would have called their bluff and ignored.
Time better spent investigating the threat

They were totally direct. We do have a few Sweaties living in Lewes you know, they don't have to be from Scotland. As for being unknown, not hard to find the chairman of the 2nd biggest societies in Lewes.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Almost every aspect of Lewes bonfire can be wilfully or ignorantly misinterpreted by lazy journalists, or thickos on social media.

To me it's a noisy and raucous celebration of free thinking, a remembrance of the vicious intolerance of the past, and a playful kick in the shins to almost anyone in authority or the public eye.

How much longer it can remain so seems open to question, sadly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I doubt these were direct and, in effect, simply hot air which can be discounted. How would someone in Scotland be able to find an unknown person & kill someone in England at a few hours notice?
A decent poker player would have called their bluff and ignored.
A new definition of 'all in'.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Good move. Salmond would have been dining out for yeeears on the "They burnt my effigy at Lewes" story. Damp squib now.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Just seen this thread. What a fuss about nothing.
Salient points seem to be:

1) massive over-reaction by council and police to a couple of tweets

2) Really appalling effigy of Salmond that looks nothing like him. Given the amount of time and effort that these bonfire boys spend on these things, they really ought to do better.

3) Good response by Salmond. He's clearly not the least bit bothered, and he's right that E Sussex and Lewes are full of Tories

4) This whole Lewes thing, and the extent to which it has survived, is a bit weird. While the event itself is all fairly harmless and, in my experience, a fairly enjoyable evening, it does appear to have some dark sectarian undertones and sentiments not dissimilar to those which still fester in other parts of the world with rather less enjoyable manifestations (I once went to the Lewes celebrations back in the 80s, with a group of colleagues, including a new bloke who was a Belfast catholic -- he found it all, understandably, quite disturbing).

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
4) This whole Lewes thing, and the extent to which it has survived, is a bit weird. While the event itself is all fairly harmless and, in my experience, a fairly enjoyable evening, it does appear to have some dark sectarian undertones and sentiments not dissimilar to those which still fester in other parts of the world with rather less enjoyable manifestations (I once went to the Lewes celebrations back in the 80s, with a group of colleagues, including a new bloke who was a Belfast catholic -- he found it all, understandably, quite disturbing).

I don't go to Lewes bonfire these days but when I did I never felt it was sectarian in any way.

I took friends who didn't really like football to the Goldstone and they raised an eyebrow at the chanting towards opposition players and away fans. I explained that we didn't really think that Bournemouth were "dirty northern *******s". It's just theatrics, mixed with a bit of humour. Lewes bonfire is no different, but as I posted earlier, the whole spectacle is open to massive misinterpretation by those who don't or won't take the time to understand it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Some of the tweets on Twitter are funny for all the wrong reasons.

My favourite one was made by a Scotch man who missed the point specatacularly. Burning Salmond is about the worst thing in the world Lewes could do, he then proceeds to post a video of a Thatcher death party. The hypocrisy of celebrating someones death but being heavily offended about burning an effigy passes him by. That's before we even count how many times Maggie has been burnt over the years. They are clearly still very bitter about being ruled by the English and upset that they can't set thier own taxes for deep fried Mars Bars.

I appreciate that death threats have been made but I am with [MENTION=177]Brovion[/MENTION] - Burn him. Offending people has always been part of the point after all. At least Commercial square blew him up.

Last edited:

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
I think the complainers are correct.

To put the damage right the effigy should be removed as quickly as possible. I think setting fire to it might be the quickest way to dispose of it.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think that upsetting all of these people who are so full of their own importance is almost as entertaining as blowing up the effigy would have been.

It's obvious that this is the rallying call we have been waiting for. Shout it loud and shout it proud -

Independence for East Sussex (without Crawley)

We should gather around Ernest's ARS and start revolting
Crawley is in West Sussex you buffoon.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Some of the tweets on Twitter are funny for all the wrong reasons.

My favourite one was made by a Scotch man who missed the point specatacularly. Burning Salmond is about the worst thing in the world Lewes could do, he then proceeds to post a video of a Thatcher death party. The hypocrisy of celebrating someones death but being heavily offended about burning an effigy passes him by. That's before we even count how many times Maggie has been burnt over the years. They are clearly still very bitter about being ruled by the English and upset that they can't set thier own taxes for deep fried Mars Bars.

I appreciate that death threats have been made but I am with [MENTION=177]Brovion[/MENTION] - Burn him. Offending people has always been part of the point after all. At least Commercial square blew him up.

Good on Commercial Square. It's a shame that he didn't meet his Waterloo.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
They were totally direct. We do have a few Sweaties living in Lewes you know, they don't have to be from Scotland. As for being unknown, not hard to find the chairman of the 2nd biggest societies in Lewes.

Would you like to have a bet with me on how many of the 3 are alive this morning & if their houses are still guarded by Police (as the threat wasn't time specific)
I'll go with 3 and None.
Your turn

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

it occurs to me that this is what happens to all the tabs, they are vehicles (literally) for a piece of firework display and get blown up with mortars in the finale, not burnt.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Good time had by many thousands who turned up. Alex Salmon like Norman Baker(blown up in 1993 ish) took it in good humour.
Many political figures have been blown up in the past the most recent furore being the "pikey caravan" blown up 2003 in Firle near Lewes.

Big political figures = fair game
Scorned racial groups ("pikeys") = very dodgy

You kick up, not down

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
From memory, I'm pretty sure the club were an effigy in recent years.

However politions I have seen, Cameron, Clegg, Obama, Alister Darwin, Putin, Bush.

This is all a complete fuss over nothing. The more the police get involved at Lewes the bigger the problems occur. its a real shame.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010

However politions I have seen, Cameron, Clegg, Obama, Alister Darwin, Putin, Bush.

This is all a complete fuss over nothing. The more the police get involved at Lewes the bigger the problems occur. its a real shame.

I can also add Blair and Prescott to that list.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Indeed. Albion fans were OUTRAGED at Cliffe blowing up Falmer stadium in 2007.
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1811524.print/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here