Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well done Paul Barber

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I e mailed Paul Barber last night and to his credit he e mailed back. Private convo but it is fair to say my regard for him has risen 10 fold. Seems a decent and genuine bloke.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
This isn't his own money, it ceases to be his when he has given (loaned?) it to Brighton.

We will never know if someone else would have done a better or equal job on less money than Barber appears to be on. It does appear to be a very large salary for a loss making company to be making though. Perhaps he will also get a share of the income from transfers, which should see his bonus rise further still.

The club lost £8m and then £14m in the first 2 seasons at the Amex (and thats before you talk about the losses at Withdean) - What do you think happens to these debts exactly? They just sit there on the accounts, the people owed money continue to supply goods and services and let the club lose them even more money?

Or do the directors, including Bloom have to put their hands into their pockets and pay bills to keep the club in business. (or taking on for these debts, but not necessarily paying them straight away)

How long do you think it would take for Bloom to be better off cutting his loses and running instead of paying off the extra debts being run up whilst the club is losing money every season? - So why wouldn't Bloom want the club to finance itself ?

So far he has invested about £165m in the ground and training grounds (if the figures are correct)
We lost £22m in 2 seasons so far, if we continue at a rate of £10m per season, he would have been better off walking as he would lose the same again after only 16.5 seasons.

If he walked, who would buy the club? - the debt has to be taken over by the new owner as well as any fee to buy the club. If the clubs debts were this extra £165m due to season upon season losses (excluding ground costs,etc that Bloom has paid out already) who could afford to buy it from him? and why would they when they could go elsewhere? - we have large crowds and high merchandising sales, so what extra could they earn from it without gambling further on promotion (and risking even more debt if they fail) and even if they do then go up, there is no guarentee the losses could be serviced (especially with footballers wages the way they are) - we could end up like Pompey, or worse.

If Barber has managed to turn these losses around or at least now control the losses to an acceptable level which Bloom has approved by raising income through sponsership and other deals rather than just the fans pockets through tickets and merchandising, and also managed to keep the playing side competitive at the same time, then what more can he do.

If bonuses mean he negotiates the best deals for the club (and as a result, himself) and dramatically increases the clubs income nearer to the £23m turnover (if it stays around that level or to whatever level it then becomes) then he's worth it.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
This - which is one big difference between 'approving of a CEO getting a 350% bonus'. We're not shareholders, we have no right of approval or otherwise. None of us have any idea what targets (and associated incentives) PB was given by TB to deliver, but he obviously (in TBs opinion, which, frankly, is the only one that matters) did an excellent job. Maybe he was told 'if you can keep us within FFP, and we get into the playoffs, I'll bung you 350%'. Who knows but I'd expect his bonus to be as a result of assessment against a range of measures, some dependent on other senior people in the club (ie a mix of personal and collective responsibility).

I'd imagine there could be a bonus based on a rising scale where he gets a certain amount if he raises x amount, but if he reaches the next target up, he gets more for, and then more for hitting the next target and so on until he reaches the maximum.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

I e mailed Paul Barber last night and to his credit he e mailed back. Private convo but it is fair to say my regard for him has risen 10 fold. Seems a decent and genuine bloke.

After my email he promptly popped round and sorted all the condensation issues in our double glazing and knock me down with a feather he eradicated all bindweed in front and back gardens and not sure what else he did but our sink drains twice as quick! i would not hesitate to recommend to all out there! Prompt clean and
polite in all his services.:thumbsup:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The losses i'm sure were planned, managed and agreed with Tony Bloom. Any sensible club has brought forward losses accordingly to keep in line with FFP exactly.
That could be true not exactly sure how but i'm sure a decent accountant could do this.

Not sure that Paul is an accountant and we may find out that it's not true. I'd prefer to wait to see whether we're ok rather than blind trust in a journeyman football money man.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
We're on a journey TOGETHER, enjoying the merchandise buying experience, Paul answers emails personally and we are getting Premier League ready. A real Barber's hot Quartet if ever I saw one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here