Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Pickford will never join us.

The media have widely reported for months that the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City want him as their number one.

We couldn't afford his wages, instead he'll join a football giant with 55,000 crowds and European football of some kind.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I obviously hope Stockers stays. He’s been a key part of this #together squad and one of the reasons we’ll be playing Chelsea next season. However if he wants to go, be it for the opportunity, the location or purely for the money then good luck to him and I wish him well.

Of the many names mentioned already my thoughts would be;
Robles – please no he’s rubbish
Pickford - young and English, he’ll be way too expensive after the season he’s had
Pantilimon – see Robles
Valdes – Wouldn’t say no, has had a good season for Boro
Fabianski – If Swansea go down he’d be a good option
Hennessey – No thanks
Jankupovic – See Valdes but Hull
Vorm – Great if possible…but probably pricey on wages

For what it’s worth I expect us to start next season with Ruddy and Maenpaa competing for the No.1 jersey.

I've folllowed Everton's main forum and their ex players/pundits this season - the vast majority are scathing about Steklenberg and Robles as both being shite. In the end, they've turned it into gallows humour about Robles mistakes or being bolted to the ground as fly past him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Pickford will never join us.

The media have widely reported for months that the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Man City want him as their number one.

We couldn't afford his wages, instead he'll join a football giant with 55,000 crowds and European football of some kind.

THE Leeds?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Will be missed for much more than his goalkeeping. An impressive young man who's conducted himself with dignity the whole way through his career here. Not only did we see his true colours after Shoreham but there's another story that it's only now appropriate to tell. In my son's football club one player in a younger age group was diagnosed with cancer, The club raised money to send the family on a much needed break and one of the committee tweeted Stockdale just to see if he'd RT the just giving link, Instead he offered to make up any shortfall himself.

We will also miss his kicking. His distribution is excellent. And the dressing room spirit everyone goes on about? He's an instrumental part of it. So those saying good riddance, I hope you can name a Premier League standard keeper who saves penalties, has excellent distribution, positive dressing room influence and community spirit because that's what we're losing.

As for yesterday some Brighton fans really need to have a word with themselves. Watch a replay as I have and Andy Naylor has and you will see Dunk's movement in front wrong foots him. It was just one of those things but when it happens to a keeper it almost always leads to a goal. No one mentioning his MAGNIFICENT stop from Hurihane that kept us in the game eh? It's just part of being a keeper. Pocognoli was far worse and should have cost us all three points in the first half, but because his school boy errors weren't straight in front of goal, and because Lansbury is shit, they didn't.

Also the way he has a hug and a few words for most players just before KO. Some even come up to him to get them. He had a little extra time for Tomori yesterday too, to give him extra reassurance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I obviously hope Stockers stays. He’s been a key part of this #together squad and one of the reasons we’ll be playing Chelsea next season. However if he wants to go, be it for the opportunity, the location or purely for the money then good luck to him and I wish him well.

Pickford - young and English, he’ll be way too expensive after the season he’s had
Pantilimon – see Robles
Hennessey – No thanks

For what it’s worth I expect us to start next season with Ruddy and Maenpaa competing for the No.1 jersey.

Looking at that list has me wondering one question:-

'Why does the new goalie have to come from English football'?

The follow up questions would be:-

How many signings?
How many from English football?
How many from abroad with not experience in England?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I wouldn't grumble at smithies I bet we could get him for less than 5 mil

We couldn't have two ex Huddersfield keepers on the trot! You soft southerners would go into meltdown. If this is all about contracts, then this could be another Murray fiasco!

Just give him a contract extension and lets go into the prem with a settled defence at least.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I was chatting to a work colleague earlier today who's a big Norwich fan (despite being born and raised in Brighton...go figure) and we were talking about Ruddy, as part of our discussion of who they have let go at the end of their season. He stayed this season with the hope that they'd bounce back up, but seemingly is on a high wage, too high for them now they are in the Championship for another season. That's the only reason apparently they are letting him go.

Hughton knows Ruddy well obviously, so could it be likely if indeed Stockers is off?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I wouldnt want Smithies or Ward as No 1 as both would be ideal No 2 but neither as good as Stockdale and neither good enough for No 1 unless you happen to be that obnoxious arrogant German Wagner..

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was chatting to a work colleague earlier today who's a big Norwich fan (despite being born and raised in Brighton...go figure) and we were talking about Ruddy, as part of our discussion of who they have let go at the end of their season. He stayed this season with the hope that they'd bounce back up, but seemingly is on a high wage, too high for them now they are in the Championship for another season. That's the only reason apparently they are letting him go.

Hughton knows Ruddy well obviously, so could it be likely if indeed Stockers is off?

There could be some truth in that about wages as he is a far better keeper than the one who played against us at The Amex McGovern as he was Sunday League standard

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

Pantilimon – see Robles
Hennessey – No thanks

I would be very surprised if we took a Prem reject ahead of a player from a different country who could make the step up to the Prem. As I mentioned earlier Ochoa from Spanish 1st division would be a shout imo especially as he's out of contract.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would be very surprised if we took a Prem reject ahead of a player from a different country who could make the step up to the Prem. As I mentioned earlier Ochoa from Spanish 1st division would be a shout imo especially as he's out of contract.

He's Mexican which would please [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] but he's also 30 which won't please Mr Barber.

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
It's a longshot, but if Real Madrid sign de Gea in the summer window, we can go for Kiko Casilla (currently their 2nd choice keeper). There's always the potential of us even going in for Keylor Navas, if de Gea signs early!

Pau López from Spurs is also a good option, he's young and has played lots of 1st division football for Espanyol

Obviously, I'd like Stocko to stay, given that he is the embodiment of the #together spirit and has saved our backsides countless times. But if he wants to move, then good luck to him

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Some CURVE BALLS.

If Hull went down then Jankupovic has REALLY impressed this season. Big imposing goalkeeper.

Costal Pantillimon is behind Gomes at Watford

David Ospina is a more than capeable goalkeeper and behind Cech at Arsenal

Wojciech Szcesny will also return to Arsenal from his loan spell in Roma and wants to stay in the Prem and (I imagine) prefers a southern club.

Jankupovic - maybe but would be worried about the 'failure' mentality hangover from going down.

Pantillimon - no but mainly because his name autocorrects to pantomime which is not a good omen for a keeper!

Ospina - not commanding enough. Good shot stopper.

Szcesny - auto corrects to save you but rarely does and comes with an ego so no thanks.

Look. None of us knows the truth and I suspect even now negotiations are ongoing.

I'd love him to stay but if not then I'd personally prefer someone who hasn't necessarily been mentioned before as in certain respects theyre either understudies or have failed in the Prem before which I don't think fits our requirement for re-sale value or progression.

Let's either go with Walton - admittedly a risk - or an unknown foreigner.

There's one other thing perhaps we're overlooking and that's the influence/ability of Ben Roberts. DS came on leaps and bounds since he's been here so in many respects let's keep him happy first!

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do people really think Stockers is good enough for Chelsea? Even just as a bench warmer?

As No 2 yes he is as he wont get called on much unless an early season injury and if that was the case they would sign another No 1. If out of the window there will be a free agent about if they think that DS will not cope.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
As No 2 yes he is as he wont get called on much unless an early season injury and if that was the case they would sign another No 1. If out of the window there will be a free agent about if they think that DS will not cope.

Im not trying to knock him as he has been great for us but I can not see how he is Chelsea standard. Even if its only the odd game I cant see him coping with crosses in the box from quality teams.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Again, a significant downgrade on Stockdale. Couldn't even make the Derby team in the Championship.

Walton is an interesting one - you're right it would be a huge gamble. Not one I'd expect a conservative manager like CH to take, but if we did, it COULD be a very financially lucrative one.

Play a 19 / 20 year old keeper at the top level, and IF they cope, they are immediately valued at £10m +

See Butland, Pickford, etc for details

You are correct............In the past he has had young Tim Krull, Fraser Foster, Jack Butland at his disposal and not gone down the Young Highly Rated keeper route. It's just not a position he tends to go for inexperience and bleeding them young. Other positions YES but not that one.

There will be an experienced keeper in goal next year, whoever that might be. Where is Tim Krull now anyhow ?That would be an option

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here