Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Who gets the honour this year!

I can only think of 1 Irish - Roche. Who else?

Brits -
Cav
Dowsett
Froome
Rowe
Kennaugh
Thomas
Yates
Yates
?
?

I suppose you're joking about Dan Martin, what with him being a Brummie and all that.

Can't believe you missed out Sam Bennett though, one of the best young riders out there. Unless you're lumping him in with Wiggins and claiming him for Belgium?

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So you've only beaten one more Tour rider than I have. I must be nearly as good as you! :wink:

After the defeat I'm surprised Cummings didn't slope off to run around for a bit after a refreshing paddle.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
After the defeat I'm surprised Cummings didn't slope off to run around for a bit after a refreshing paddle.

It could have ended him!!

Acutally it was in the national pursuit quarter finals and I think he'd just had glandular fever. He is a year younger than me so he came back the following year and smashed it on the road.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nice ride today [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION].

I didn't find out till just after we all rode together, but you can actually ride through Parham Park.

Coming from Storrington, you go straight on through the white gate.
That path takes you to the house.
In front of that hard right, then bear left and follow that path.
You come out just above your left turn onto the Greatham Road at Rackham St.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Nice ride today [MENTION=22214]banjo[/MENTION].

I didn't find out till just after we all rode together, but you can actually ride through Parham Park.

Coming from Storrington, you go straight on through the white gate.
That path takes you to the house.
In front of that hard right, then bear left and follow that path.
You come out just above your left turn onto the Greatham Road at Rackham St.

Ah right that's handy, thanks for that. A little warm today, but enjoyed it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ah right that's handy, thanks for that. A little warm today, but enjoyed it.
I didn't enjoy my workout today.
The outward 5 miles was straight down the barrel of the wind.
By the time I'd 180 turned for home the damage was done, c'est la vie.

You're still not riding UP Duncton!!

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I didn't enjoy my workout today.
The outward 5 miles was straight down the barrel of the wind.
By the time I'd 180 turned for home the damage was done, c'est la vie.

You're still not riding UP Duncton!!

That's the one We did that time isn't it? The ride today was hilly enough for me. It's a cracking hill to go down, especially that bend on the bottom.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's the one We did that time isn't it? The ride today was hilly enough for me. It's a cracking hill to go down, especially that bend on the bottom.
I wish I could get away with complementing a descent!!
I've not been allowed down there since it was so cold and wet I couldn't safely get round the bend.

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
Not even going to go there and talk about your glands Moto, but I will talk punctures with you having suffered a fair few myself recently.

Were they Conti tubes that wouldn't work with your pump on the road? I've had issues with the valves screwing out on those when used with my screw on pocket rocket pump out on the road. But they work fine at home on the clamp down track pump. Upshot is, I don't buy Conti tubes anymore and now go for Vittoria instead.

My punctures, all on the front wheel luckily, but two rides running and twice on the last ride (that wasn't the sole reason I bailed out at Ashford station last time out, but it didn't help either) were down to my shagged Vittoria Diamante Pro tyres I reckon. I've since binned those and got myself another pair of Vresdestein Fortezza Tricomp, just like on the Battaglin. The down side is I couldn't resist the red walled ones being about £7 each cheaper than the all black. I'd have preferred all black but at least SB can have his fun now. The red bar tape will be replaced with black eventually though :)

Top tip for puncture repairs - you need to get a Rema Tip Top repair kit and do the job properly. I've finally sussed that the key to success, on top of the usual steps, is to finish the repair off with another thin smear of glue around the edge of the finished patch. Plenty of chalk as the icing on the cake and the jobs a good 'un. Binning tubes just for the sake of a proper repair is both expensive and not very green.

Edit: Re results and news today. If Cav doesn't clean up at this year's Tour then something will have gone seriously a miss. He's in fine form, Kittel is not going to be there and now Bouhanni is out as well. Add to that Niki Terpstra is suddenly a sprinter :ohmy: and it's impossible to see how Cav can possibly lose.

Evening chaps. Sorry to disrupt thread momentarily. Thanks for the heads up on Conti tubes. Had just assumed I was being "crap" with my Rocket Race pump. Cheers, Tom

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As I have the day off does anyone fancy a:-

GEEK CLUB RIDE SATURDAY 11.07.

Time, distance, and location to be arranged according to who's going.

A general rule of thumb from the past has been:-

- Palace Pier 8:30.
- 60 mile ride.
- lumpy but no climbingfest.

Or we go and be humiliated by IL, in the New Forest.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Help geeks.

I have super custom crank arms on my old Holdsworth. The non drive side (what is that called?) I think is slightly loose so that it's starting to make that classic creak through each revolution when the power is down.

The question is, how do I loosen / tighten the bolt!? It is most likely a 15mm bolt, BUT the cut out around the bolt is narrow so that a standard socket can't fit in there. Aaron's bike shop didn't have any sockets that fit it either – it's getting to the stage of considering grinding the arm off and getting a new arm! So I need some kind of sockets that have a thin gauge body to go round the bolt and fit into the small outer hole. Some forums even suggested taking a grinder to a standard socket to reduce its width.

In regards to a previous post, the back wheel also had a broken rear axel so I've written that off. I'm going to get some new 700c wheels figuring it is a good plan to have an interchangeable pair that can go on my other road bike or future purchases. With a new chain and 10 speed cassette the Shimano 600 mech should work still. If anyone has a set of wheels they want to sell, let me know!
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], 11.07 is my wedding anniversary. So I should be fine for the ride!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Help geeks.

I have super custom crank arms on my old Holdsworth. The non drive side (what is that called?) I think is slightly loose so that it's starting to make that classic creak through each revolution when the power is down.

The question is, how do I loosen / tighten the bolt!? It is most likely a 15mm bolt, BUT the cut out around the bolt is narrow so that a standard socket can't fit in there. Aaron's bike shop didn't have any sockets that fit it either – it's getting to the stage of considering grinding the arm off and getting a new arm! So I need some kind of sockets that have a thin gauge body to go round the bolt and fit into the small outer hole. Some forums even suggested taking a grinder to a standard socket to reduce its width.

In regards to a previous post, the back wheel also had a broken rear axel so I've written that off. I'm going to get some new 700c wheels figuring it is a good plan to have an interchangeable pair that can go on my other road bike or future purchases. With a new chain and 10 speed cassette the Shimano 600 mech should work still. If anyone has a set of wheels they want to sell, let me know!
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], 11.07 is my wedding anniversary. So I should be fine for the ride!

:mad::shrug:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Hope this helps.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
As I have the day off does anyone fancy a:-

GEEK CLUB RIDE SATURDAY 11.07.

Time, distance, and location to be arranged according to who's going.

A general rule of thumb from the past has been:-

- Palace Pier 8:30.
- 60 mile ride.
- lumpy but no climbingfest.

Or we go and be humiliated by IL, in the New Forest.

I may be available for a ride.

Unless I am press ganged into something else by those demons who are insisting I train for 4 days in Nice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] can you take a few snaps and post them, as I also haven't got a clue what you're on about.

Admittedly I still won't have a clue but it's now intriguing.

My day off this week is tomorrow.
That right the only wet day in a perfect week :angry:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
:mad::shrug:

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Hope this helps.

[MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] can you take a few snaps and post them, as I also haven't got a clue what you're on about.

Admittedly I still won't have a clue but it's now intriguing.

My day off this week is tomorrow.
That right the only wet day in a perfect week :angry:

Right you thickos, look at the image below. The bolt head sits inside a the crank arm. In my case that outer circle is not wide enough to allow a socket big enough to fit the bolt. It's like I need a really thin gauge socket or something!?

cotterless2sm.jpg

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Right you thickos, look at the image below. The bolt head sits inside a the crank arm. In my case that outer circle is not wide enough to allow a socket big enough to fit the bolt. It's like I need a really thin gauge socket or something!?

cotterless2sm.jpg

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here