Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Garcia's reasons for leaving (from today's Argus, per Andy Naylor)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think he 'offered' his resignation and we accepted it which I suppose is an agreement of sorts hence no compensation. I've never heard of a manager having to pay compensation though for breaching his contract so you have a good point, although most managers are sacked anyway if they breach their contract. (Poyet)

Yes, good point - although I feel that the wording should be "by mutual consent". The only example I can think of where a manager was sued was Dowie at Palace: he was sued by Tangoman for breaching his contract - I think Tangoman won too

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
This is where I'm at, too. People won't want to hear it though. Some would rather have a big stick to beat the club with.

I'm with you on this in that I heard Oscar wanted to coach and leave player recruitment to Burke. Although they same person told me that Oscar didn't Meet Grabban which is directly contradicted by this article. So not sure (once again) how much is spin and from whom.

It is possible that having got pissed off with the recruitment approach that Garcia threw his toys out of.the pram and left it to Burke effectively saying that if youvwont listen to me.then I.will leave it all up to you and I will just coach what I'm given. In which case both stories could be accurate.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
We talk about panic buys of players I do just wonder, and perhaps understandably with the Poyet fracas, whether Oscar was a too hasty appointment as manager. Perhaps he is not cut out for the cut and thrust involved with a progressive championship club. Very good coach he may be but effective manager, I have my doubts.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
This clarifies that we are exactly where most of us thought we were.
Hopefully Tony and Paul will take a look at how the recruitment department operates and make some changes but they wont loosen the purse strings.

Liked Biscuit's budgetory analogy. Clarifies how difficult it will be for the new manager.

I wondwr if Oscar left any recommendations on the retainer list or if this will now be down to NJ who, by my guess, will be staying?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This clarifies that we are exactly where most of us thought we were.
Hopefully Tony and Paul will take a look at how the recruitment department operates and make some changes but they wont loosen the purse strings.

Liked Biscuit's budgetory analogy. Clarifies how difficult it will be for the new manager.

I wondwr if Oscar left any recommendations on the retainer list or if this will now be down to NJ who, by my guess, will be staying?

I'd hope for this too along with greater transparency on budgets

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
One more point: once the legal process with Poyet had played out, Oscar had the choice of job titles - manager or head coach. He chose head coach.
By which time he had been here 4 months or so and perhaps saw the way things were progressing?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Wouldn't be surprised if he gets the job with an experienced number 2 alongside him to be honest.

I fear you might be right. It doesn't fill me.with confidence though. I'm not saying I want a.big name, but a bit of.experience wouldn't go amiss

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
By which time he had been here 4 months or so and perhaps saw the way things were progressing?

Or he had little interest in the intricacies of transfer deals, and wanted a title that reflected the role he wanted to undertake.

One or the other, I suppose...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
I'd hope for this too along with greater transparency on budgets

Not sure you will get that although hopefully the new manager will have an accurate view of where we stand.
If you put your budgets out there to the fans you will be exploited (or avoided) by every players' agent wanting a slice of rhe cake. :lolol:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not sure you will get that although hopefully the new manager will have an accurate view of where we stand.
If you put your budgets out there to the fans you will be exploited (or avoided) by every players' agent wanting a slice of rhe cake. :lolol:

lol...i wasnt suggesting actual figures! :)

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Would that be the Oscar who wouldn't 'to start with Lua Lua until 5 games to go when we were looking at 9th as a finish.
LL then starts and we W,W,D,D and hey presto with a game to go on the brink of the playoffs.
What happens next LL is dropped and we are losing at Forest when OG brings him on and we end up winning
LL again doesn't start against Derby at home and we are losing & draw when he is on pitch
LL doesn't start away to Derby, we get stuffed but he scores when he comes on

A bad workman blames his tools

And there my friend are actual facts, as opposed to all the budget and transfer conjecture. No point giving OG more money to buy attacking players if he doesn't have the cojones to play them in anything other than reactive circumstances.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Or he had little interest in the intricacies of transfer deals, and wanted a title that reflected the role he wanted to undertake.

As I said earlier, I had heard what you saying but the Naylot article contradicts a lot of that. They can't both be totally right but they can.both be largely right. I suspect that the telegraph article and the ulloa injury came before he could have taken the manager title and, by then, he had made his mind up based on.what control he thought he would have in signings

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
The side presented in The Argus today suggests that Oscar's hands were tied, he had no hand in transfer dealings and the Albion lost Grabban because of Burke/Bloom.

I've heard another side: Oscar had little interest in transfer dealings as he only wanted to coach, his reluctance to get involved was an issue and the Albion lost Grabban due to Oscar's reticence.

Would this be the reason you voted "No" in the very recent poll as to whether you wanted Garcia to stay...or not ?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007

Indeed. Head Coach is the norm in Spain as is the recruitment system we are trying to adopt. At the moment it is too "clanky" and doesnt reflect the coach's views but with tweeking we will get their respective roles sorted.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
What's laughable about a £22 million wage bill?

Does this £22 million represent the playing staff wages....or does it include all the Albion staff (such as Admin staff etc etc)...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here