Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2015

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Oh, I think we have different experiences of MB's reviews. I've always found them largely positive. Oh well.

I don't think so. If he decides to see a Hollywood film you can guarantee he will hate it, without exception in about 10 years of reading his reviews. He, like many other film critics would rate an Arthouse film everytime over a mainstream film. A sub titled film about an Iraqi Goat Farmer struggling through the war to feed his family will, by default be a cinematic masterpiece. I do find some film critics like and rate the film more based on the fewest number people who ever saw it. There are lots of film critics like this around

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I don't think so. If he decides to see a Hollywood film you can guarantee he will hate it, without exception in about 10 years of reading his reviews. He, like many other film critics would rate an Arthouse film everytime over a mainstream film. A sub titled film about an Iraqi Goat Farmer struggling through the war to feed his family will, by default be a cinematic masterpiece. I do find some film critics like and rate the film more based on the fewest number people who ever saw it. There are lots of film critics like this around

Are you in a position to judge both sides of the coin? I have a personal preference for foreign/independent cinema over the Hollywood machine, but I will watch mainstream American films (no Marvel superhero bullshit though), whereas I doubt you've seen many/enough foreign language films to make a balanced judgement.

As for MB, he does spend a lot of time watching utter toilet, so I guess his reviews reflect that.

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
Took the kids to see Tomorrowland last night at the wonderful Picture House in Uckfield. Bonkers film, great retro-futuristic design, mad Eiffel Tower scene, quite enjoyed it but not Oscar material! 8/10

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Have you ever enjoyed a film in your life ? I don't get it subjecting yourself to such an ordeal time after time. The best I think I have ever seen is it is " ok " , that must be a work of genius. I can say that almost without exception, every single review you do is negative

:)
I've enjoyed a lot of films. Mad Max was excellent the more i talk of it with people, and i really liked Force Majeure too the other week, it having me guffaw inside even now. One had subtitles and the other didn't - although Mad Max could have done with them sometimes if it really mattered.
I like going to the cinema and i suppose i like not always liking things. I also have a dislike for not seeing things, because you never know for sure until you've seen it, and want to know a little whether you agree with others. I probably do like to sneer too much at mainstreamery and pretend to be more out there than i am, but maybe in different mediums we develop in different ways. For instance, Hollywood i feel a comfortable disapproving distance from, but for some reason i quite liked some of the songs at Eurovision this year, which felt quite unnatural. Maybe i want more from films now, but less, possibly, from music. Maybe i haven't room for both any more in the same way. I dunno. I shall keep seeing quite a few films though, and probably disliking a lot of them. :)

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
:)
I've enjoyed a lot of films. Mad Max was excellent the more i talk of it with people, and i really liked Force Majeure too the other week, it having me guffaw inside even now. One had subtitles and the other didn't - although Mad Max could have done with them sometimes if it really mattered.
I like going to the cinema and i suppose i like not always liking things. I also have a dislike for not seeing things, because you never know for sure until you've seen it, and want to know a little whether you agree with others. I probably do like to sneer too much at mainstreamery and pretend to be more out there than i am, but maybe in different mediums we develop in different ways. For instance, Hollywood i feel a comfortable disapproving distance from, but for some reason i quite liked some of the songs at Eurovision this year, which felt quite unnatural. Maybe i want more from films now, but less, possibly, from music. Maybe i haven't room for both any more in the same way. I dunno. I shall keep seeing quite a few films though, and probably disliking a lot of them. :)

I do hope you speak like this in real life, rather than this being a fake, internet persona (say like Kirk St Moritz from Dear John) and I imagine you as a kind, eccentric, gentleman. I enjoy reading your posts.

US - take a chill pill. But I also enjoy reading your posts.

This is getting a bit freaky now, so I shall Over and Out and go back to reading about the dastardly Mr Blatter.

Gotta love NSC and all it's characters tho.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Mad Max Fury Road - I enjoyed it, but felt it didn't live up to the hype. Not really a fan of the mad max series. I'm sure I've seen them, but can't remember much about them. It's nice to have more of a reliance on physical effects rather than CG.
Pitch Perfect 2 - I enjoyed this the most of these three, I like that they used some older songs (including the bugle boy from company b!), but generally preferred the first pitch perfect.
San Andreas - eh. Felt it needed a more tongue in cheek tone, the effects were good, but the story just stretched credulity.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I have been looking forward to seeing SAN ANDREAS because there's nothing like a good disaster movie is there?

The special effects were amazing. Probably even better in 3D as I saw it.
You can't help coming out thinking "how on earth did they shoot that?"

That's the good news

Apart from that OMG what a pile of **** this film was ! Storyline was pathetic. Acting was dreadful. The whole thing was a brilliant idea completely wasted.

Expect to see a lot more of Alexandra Daddario who, along with the CGI, was the most memorable part of this film and which enable me to give this film 4/10

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Sad news for Uncle Spielberg today in that i really really liked a film i saw this evening. I even quite liked one i saw yesterday - although to see a 3-hour Polish film (The Saragossa Manuscript) from the 60s that David Lynch described as weird was probably always going to be something i might have liked a few zany things about. Today, though, was Timbuktu. It was great. A slow sardonic simmerer into a more potent boil of unrest. Seemingly a reasonably peaceful city with a range of people and languages is taken over by militant islamists who enter and bark laws around with the threat of gunfire as their backing track. So determined to show their authority, against a people who are really rather accepting and endlessly faithful to islam in gentle ways, they ban the exposure of women's feet and hands, telling them on megaphones that socks and gloves must be worn at all times or else. We see different families and people affected by the stringent and growingly serious jihadi law makers and keepers, some of the time tradition mauled by this unflinching onslaught of calmly fiendish rule. Some moments were comical - footballs are banned from the city and we sit and watch as a local team are forced to practice without one, passing to each other with an imaginary ball - whilst others are quietly striking as the feeling of the city muddied and spoilt begin to envelop. The look of the land and the city itself were also stunning on occasion. So full of messages, but seemingly so many valid and powerful to watch. Glad i finally got around to watching it.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Mad Max. My word, two hours of unadulterated violence with virtually zero plot. Unreal, but worth the watch

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Danny Collins. I really like Al Pacino and I liked this film 7.4

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Is anyone looking forward to seeing the Human Centipede 3 ( Final Sequence ) ?

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Is anyone looking forward to seeing the Human Centipede 3 ( Final Sequence ) ?

I'll watch it. The first was nowhere near as awful as made out, and there was a decent central performance from MAD GERMAN DOCTOR INSANITY. The second was hard to watch and had little to redeem it - but I liked that it was a bit meta, and was presumably making some point about the type of people that watch these films in the first place.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Saw American Sniper the other day - fantastic! Very sad ending especially as it's a true story!

Also saw Gone Girl a while ago which was brilliant!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The Theory of Everything
Brighton Marina Cinema
Attendance 95%

This is a magnificent film with one of the greatest acting performances I have seen in recent years. If Redmayne does not win the Oscar the Academy will have lost all credibility. The acting all round was class and the story, inspiring and moving showing the strength of love and the human spirit. It also have one of the greatest film theme scores of all time

Film 9.0
Redmayne 9.7

Saw this the other day and agree with your every word Gareth. Didn't realise Hawking was such a hashtag lad :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Special shout out for the Danny Dyer 'new to dvd' film I saw the other day with the Kemp twins in. I like Dyer just because it reminds me of my teenage days but my god what a crock of shit this was. I don't know the name of it thankfully... Only positive was Brighton was in it..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here