Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stop Cycling up Ditchling Beacon!!!!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm of the opinion that it works well enough as it is with both cyclists and motorists sharing the road...........

But as a side issue I've seen some proper :facepalm: moments from cyclists trying to ride up that hill. Out of shape middle aged men in lycra swerving all over the road because they're so knackered! If the cars don't get them the hill will

Premiership Dream

Nov 16, 2011
You what? You don't HAVE to overtake in a dangerous situation. Cycling up Ditchling Beacon is one of the big challenges in Sussex, perhaps they should ban CARS.

do cyclists pay road tax .........NO ..........so until they do I agree they are a liability up the beacon............

D

Deleted member 18477

I don't think this bloke is a fan of cyclists either :lolol:

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Cyclists up the beacon are the definition of selfish. I was patiently waiting to overtake a crawler the other day when a cyclist I had already spent time overtaking decided to overtake me back!

As a driver I would be very happy to have the road closed to drivers a couple of hours a day so these cyclists can complete their challenge or make it one way? It's often the idiot drivers speeding down the hill who cause the problems with safe overtaking.

I am an experienced driver but find it a challenge to drive so slowly up such a steep climb. Not used to driving in low gears for so long. For a new driver to get stuck behind a cyclist must be very nerve racking.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
do cyclists pay road tax .........NO ..........so until they do I agree they are a liability up the beacon............

Yes I also drive a car :thumbsup:

I never know whether these posts about road tax are fishing or not.

Road Tax was abolished in 1937.

Your tax disc (and mine) is for vehicle excise duty, and relates to the polluting gases that your car emits. Electric cars are exempt, and so are bicycles, as they do not pollute.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I never know whether these posts about road tax are fishing or not.

Road Tax was abolished in 1937.

Your tax disc (and mine) is for vehicle excise duty, and relates to the polluting gases that your car emits. Electric cars are exempt, and so are bicycles, as they do not pollute.

I both drive and ride a bike on the road I've paid My dues so don't get this cyclist don't pay to use the roads. My post above was not worded very well and must of been a bit misleading.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Yes, I also drive a car :thumbsup:

I both drive and ride a bike on the road I've paid My dues so don't get this cyclist don't pay to use the roads.

Yes, fine, but everyone is allowed to use the roads - for free! Road tax does not exist. You have not paid for the right to use the roads, you've paid for the right to pollute!

The roads are public highways, and car drivers are no more entitled to use them than cyclists. So, live and let live.

And if you struggle to drive up Dichling Beacon in a low gear, well...drive somewhere else.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I don't think this bloke is a fan of cyclists either :lolol:

This is a perfect example of a bolshie cyclist and the sort of thing that gets drivers' backs up. There's no need for him to be in the middle of the road like that, there is ample space for both of them to get through that gap but he can't help himself and has to prove that it's his right of way.

D

Deleted member 18477

This is a perfect example of a bolshie cyclist and the sort of thing that gets drivers' backs up. There's no need for him to be in the middle of the road like that, there is ample space for both of them to get through that gap but he can't help himself and has to prove that it's his right of way.

He reported it to the police and the police did nothing! Proves how childish his behaviour was there... Although the car driver behaved like a complete bellend as well but the cyclist made it a problem.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Cyclists up the beacon are the definition of selfish.

Why is it selfish DumLum plum? Motorists have several options to avoid the Beacon without going out of their way really, for instance joining the A23 at Clayton then getting on the A27. Why do drivers feel they own and have priority on all British roads? Horses, cycles, tractors, caravans, and anything else your common motorist likes to moan about - all have equal right to use the highway. Most motor vehicles could easily avoid it but choose not to. No point crying on a forum if you end up behind a cycle, tractor or whatever else might be going up there slowly - you've got exclusive use of multilane dual carriageways if you so wish.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Perfect example of a driver (something you've obviously not noticed having watched it) not indicating when passing a hazard, or slowing down accordingly. Bad driving, but not uncommon in so many motorists. I drive and cycle, and find it staggering how difficult people find flicking a lever. I tell you what, people are turning into horrible twats in their cars these days. I saw a poor women with bags of shopping, pushchair, 3 yr old crying all trying to cross the road. Do any cars approaching the T junction just stop for 20secs to let her cross? No. It's incredible. The problem isn't cyclists, many drivers are so obsessed with getting somewhere in the quickest possible time, that all social politeness, manners, curtesy go out of the window. This obsession is driving their hatred of cyclists, because anything that has the potential to slow them down is the enemy. Road rage is everywhere, aimed at vans, lorries, someone changing lanes in queuing traffic, not letting anyone out. You say 'gets drivers backs up' - bloodyhell, what doesn't get a lot drivers backs up!?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I'm more of a motorist than cyclist but I'm not sure I see that clip the way you do. The worst thing is the way the driver then reverses back up the road at speed. What's the point!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Perfect example of a driver (something you've obviously not noticed having watched it) not indicating when passing a hazard, or slowing down accordingly. Bad driving, but not uncommon in so many motorists. I drive and cycle, and find it staggering how difficult people find flicking a lever. I tell you what, people are turning into horrible twats in their cars these days. I saw a poor women with bags of shopping, pushchair, 3 yr old crying all trying to cross the road. Do any cars approaching the T junction just stop for 20secs to let her cross? No. It's incredible. The problem isn't cyclists, many drivers are so obsessed with getting somewhere in the quickest possible time, that all social politeness, manners, curtesy go out of the window. This obsession is driving their hatred of cyclists, because anything that has the potential to slow them down is the enemy. Road rage is everywhere, aimed at vans, lorries, someone changing lanes in queuing traffic, not letting anyone out. You say 'gets drivers backs up' - bloodyhell, what doesn't get a lot drivers backs up!?

If you're referring to indicating passing parked vehicles, there is no requirement for you to do that! A scenario where it may help could be when you have stopped to allow oncoming vehicles through and you have cars behind you so you are telling them you are pulling to the right however, the position of your car should be signal enough for other driver to see that you are waiting to overtake the hazard rather than parked behind it.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
Try a different route or just cope and crawl.

Nothing should be lethal st that speed.

It will be lethal when someone overtakes a cyclist only to be met by another one bombing down the beacon at 40mph (plus) in the middle of the road.

It should be banned unless on an allocated day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here