Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think his weakest film is Always but even that had Audrey Hepburn in it and a superb scene with the planes and trying to put out the engine fire. Not that keen on The Terminal either

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Ok, which is your least favourite?

Genuinely curious!

For me, I couldn't stand A.I. and also Crystal Skull was fairly ridiculous in parts.

AI is superb for me. Crystal Skull is not even in his top 30

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I enjoyed AI, but it was definitely fairly poor. Spielberg ruined what should have been a great movie with his sentimental crap, completely missing the point.

I think the final act of the film is infact the best, the sentimental crap as you put it

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What's your top 5?

1. Schindler's List
2. ET - The Extraterrestrial
3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
4. Saving Private Ryan
5. War Horse

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
1. Schindler's List
2. ET - The Extraterrestrial
3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
4. Saving Private Ryan
5. War Horse

I've not read the whole thread but I agree Close Encounters would definately be one of the worst films i've ever seen

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I've not read the whole thread but I agree Close Encounters would definately be one of the worst films i've ever seen

fair enough

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I bought a film for 3 quid from HMV having never seen it before called He Was A Quiet Man with Christian Slater. A very odd mix between Office Space and Fight Club. It had an imaginary, animated talking fish in it and it was absolutely terrible in EVERY way. Just awful.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I really like a lot of films in this thread (Inception, Solaris, 2001, Public Enemies).

I think the worst films i've seen are:
Sharknado
Tree of Life
Sex and the City 2
Transformers

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I bought a film for 3 quid from HMV having never seen it before called He Was A Quiet Man with Christian Slater. A very odd mix between Office Space and Fight Club. It had an imaginary, animated talking fish in it and it was absolutely terrible in EVERY way. Just awful.

I think I caught that film half way in on TV once. Incredibly strange!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
What about if you include his exec producer gigs such as 'The Flintstones', a patently terrible film? I know exec producer means he didn't really have anything to do with it but it's (almost) got his name on it.

Ones I forgot earlier - 'A Clockwork Orange', which people went on about for ages but when I finally got to see it, it was utterly tedious. And the second half of 'Apocalypse Now'. And if we're going to add in films because of the sense of disappointment they caused me then 'SW: The Phantom Menace' and also 'ST: Into Darkness' (the disappointment for that one came when I realised it was just a so-so remake :( ).

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Lake_placid_ver2.jpg

I loved them, 1 and 2.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I enjoyed AI, but it was definitely fairly poor. Spielberg ruined what should have been a great movie with his sentimental crap, completely missing the point.

That is what you would think, however apparently in reading an article about this it was actually Kubrick that developed most of the sentimentally through the film which was shaping up to be in his usual meandering style and it was Spielberg who introduced the darker vision and more exciting elements.

I actually think it's an underrated film that suffered from criticism based on Spielberg adapting a Kubrick project rather than the film itself.

edit, yes I found a quote:

Screenwriter Ian Watson has speculated, "Worldwide, A.I. was very successful (and the 4th highest earner of the year) but it didn't do quite so well in America, because the film, so I'm told, was too poetical and intellectual in general for American tastes. Plus, quite a few critics in America misunderstood the film, thinking for instance that the Giacometti-style beings in the final 20 minutes were aliens (whereas they were robots of the future who had evolved themselves from the robots in the earlier part of the film) and also thinking that the final 20 minutes were a sentimental addition by Spielberg, whereas those scenes were exactly what I wrote for Stanley and exactly what he wanted, filmed faithfully by Spielberg."

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A lot of people's worse films are ones I've really enjoyed: Mars Attacks, A.I., The Trueman Show…

Swordfish was the worse film I can ever remember seeing at the cinema. Truly awful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here