Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This puts a whole new perspective on things!

Malaysian officials denying it. Seems to be a pattern of other countries announcing things, and then Malaysian officials denying it.

Malaysian Airlines have said that information is incorrect. Quite strange this whole thing.

A little perspective. I lived in Taiwan for nearly three years (which is actually full of ethnic Chinese) and took cultural lessons and also traveled round Asia including a couple of trips to Malaysia on Malaysian Airlines. The concept of "face" is huge in both cultures in that one should not be seen to lose face. This means that something (especially a big something like a plane disappearing) has to be seen to be not your fault AND you have to be seen to know what you're doing.

In his book Riding The Iron Rooster, Paul Theroux talks about a train going through China that he was on hitting a farmers tractor that was partially on the tracks. Despite the farmer being hurt nothing moved and no one was called until they had established who's fault it was.

I wouldn't trust either the Chinese or Malaysians here. Not because there's some massive conspiracy that hybrid x and The Truth are about to enlighten us over but because, genuinely, no one knows what happened, but culturally they cannot be seen to say that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I know who I'd rather believe

Hussein opened the press conference by denying reports that the missing plane sent out engine data after it disappeared from contact with air traffic control. He said:

I would like to refer to news reports suggesting that the aircraft may have been flying for some time after the last contact. Those reports are inaccurate. The last transmission from the aircraft was at 01:07, which indicated everything was normal. Rolls Royce and Boeing teams are here in Kuala Lumpur and have worked with MAS and the investigation teams since Sunday. This issue has never been raised ... Since today’s media reports MAS has asked Rolls Royce and Boeing specifically about the data. As far as Rolls Royce and Boeing are concerned those reports are inaccurate.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Hussein opened the press conference by denying reports that the missing plane sent out engine data after it disappeared from contact with air traffic control. He said:

I would like to refer to news reports suggesting that the aircraft may have been flying for some time after the last contact. Those reports are inaccurate. The last transmission from the aircraft was at 01:07, which indicated everything was normal. Rolls Royce and Boeing teams are here in Kuala Lumpur and have worked with MAS and the investigation teams since Sunday. This issue has never been raised ... Since today’s media reports MAS has asked Rolls Royce and Boeing specifically about the data. As far as Rolls Royce and Boeing are concerned those reports are inaccurate.

Yup, classic denial :)

I am willing to bet that when we finally hear the truth (if we ever do) that this Hussein chap will need a serious amount of egg wiping off his face

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
A little perspective. I lived in Taiwan for nearly three years (which is actually full of ethnic Chinese) and took cultural lessons and also traveled round Asia including a couple of trips to Malaysia on Malaysian Airlines. The concept of "face" is huge in both cultures in that one should not be seen to lose face. This means that something (especially a big something like a plane disappearing) has to be seen to be not your fault AND you have to be seen to know what you're doing.

In his book Riding The Iron Rooster, Paul Theroux talks about a train going through China that he was on hitting a farmers tractor that was partially on the tracks. Despite the farmer being hurt nothing moved and no one was called until they had established who's fault it was.

I wouldn't trust either the Chinese or Malaysians here. Not because there's some massive conspiracy that hybrid x and The Truth are about to enlighten us over but because, genuinely, no one knows what happened, but culturally they cannot be seen to say that.

Thanks for that, some genuinely enlightening information.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If for some reason the pilot decided to kill himself how likely is it or is it possible to fly headfirst like a vertical dive into the sea ? and would that leave wreckage or less likely too ?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I watched CNN the other night for about an hour...with their 'breaking news' story that the plane 'had turned'... an hour of saying it had 'turned'...in different ways, via different 'experts'.....I only watched it for around an hour, but I imagine it went on the same way for the rest of the night... the plane is clearly fecking down, and everybody on it, most likely not with us anymore... cant they just leave it at that now, until they find whatevers left of the thing...news agencies are viewing this awful accident as a gift that keeps giving..

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Face-saving Malaysians you say?

Rolls Royce is refusing to comment on claims made by the Malaysian authorities on the last signal sent by the missing plane.

During today’s press conference Malaysia’s acting transport minister

Hishammuddin Hussein dismissed a report in the Wall Street Journal claiming that the signals could have sent out by the plane hours after it lost contact with air traffic control. He also claimed both the makers of the missing plane, Boeing, and the makers of its engines, Rolls Royce, backed this view.

He said: “Since today’s media reports MAS [Malaysia Airlines] has asked Rolls-Royce and Boeing specifically about the data. As far as Rolls-Royce and Boeing are concerned those reports are inaccurate.”

But when our transport correspondent Gwyn Topham asked Rolls Royce to confirm this, it declined.

Earlier, the company said little more to the Wall Street Journal. It quotes and an unnamed executive as saying: “The disappearance is officially now an accident and all information about this is strictly handled by investigators.”

Boeing has also issued no comment on the claim.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Face-saving Malaysians you say?

It's just a bit of background. I don't agree with [MENTION=14574]daveinprague[/MENTION] that news agencies are viewing this as a gift. Human nature is to be inquisitive and to demand answers but it is also to jump to some fairly poor conclusions. It's the job of the media to present these theories and discount or elaborate on them as they see fit. It's the job of of anyone official to make sure those theories aren't pointing at them. Understanding why they do actually makes the whole thing less easy to explain and therefore more fascinating to an enquiring mind.

There was a delay in Malaysia Airlines announcing it was missing. If you choose to believe the WSJ report this could be because the plane was still flying. If you take the view that it was a terrible accident (and I tend to) then knowing the region you'd also know that they had to be sure that it wasn't going to turn up at Beijing AND you'd have to agree exactly what the company line was in a way that preserved its reputation. If you take this part in isolation

He said: “Since today’s media reports MAS [Malaysia Airlines] has asked Rolls-Royce and Boeing specifically about the data. As far as Rolls-Royce and Boeing are concerned those reports are inaccurate.”

But when our transport correspondent Gwyn Topham asked Rolls Royce to confirm this, it declined.

you'd wonder why Roills Royce would deny a straight question on the subject. If you knew there were two Iranians on the flight on stolen passports but didn't know the area you'd blame terrorists, but if you did know the area you'd know this was a fairly common occurrence.

Only two things are certain. The first is the relatives need an answer and closure as soon as possible. The second is that, as I type, The Truth is in front of a monitor furiously waggling his joystick.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I disagree Guinessboy..I think its the news agencies job to present news...not speculation, not theories, not some 'experts' opinions.... .. they used to do it like that, but now with 24 hrs news broadcasting, the seem to feel the need to jump on a story that has legs and keep running with it, just to fill the airtime...to spend an hour saying the same thing, using different sentences and 'experts' seems like laziness to me....its not like its the only story just now is it?.. Ukraine...the forgotten war in Syria etc..

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I disagree Guinessboy..I think its the news agencies job to present news...not speculation, not theories, not some 'experts' opinions.... .. they used to do it like that, but now with 24 hrs news broadcasting, the seem to feel the need to jump on a story that has legs and keep running with it, just to fill the airtime...to spend an hour saying the same thing, using different sentences and 'experts' seems like laziness to me....its not like its the only story just now is it?.. Ukraine...the forgotten war in Syria etc..

OK. I think there is a difference between news programmes and news channels.

In Newsnight, The Today Programme, the News At 10, all these things you mentioned should be covered (and it's a scandal that people have forgotten Syria). But Sky, CNN, even the BBc New Channel have to fill all day every day. They're not going to get live pictures from Syria but it's simple to get in a "flight expert" and talk to them for a while. I don't think they view that as a "gift" I think they just prioritise it higher because it's easier to cover and, if we're honest, most of us would rather think about a mystery than the deaths of people whether in Syria, Ukraine or South East Asia.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As the facts i posted above suggest, it's either a) a cover up b) it truly vanished.
What do you mean by 'truly vanished'? Do you mean like the twilight zone - ie, it hasn't vanished, so it's definitely a cover up?

the world has no random events.....all is in order, all a play of electromagnetics and energy in perfect equilibrium, harmony, balance, and chaos.......in a dance from causal events.

but you keep buying into the notion of coincidence and randomness.
You've had a few replies to this post, as if you were being serious, but I take it you were taking the piss?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Even I'm starting to get suspicious now, how is there no single trace, not even the tiniest piece? 6 days is a hell of a long time to go without finding any wreckage at all if a plane goes down. Either they are inept at searching, the plane didn't go down where they think or I suppose possibly an extremely outside chance that it was highjacked or 'stolen'. Not sure that's even possible but all possible outcomes now seem unlikely. The longer it goes the more the chance decreases of them finding wreckage given it's had 6 days already in the oceans currents and could be spread across thousands of miles by now(if it did indeed go down in/over the sea)

Something doesn't add up here, that's for sure. Even with the Air France crash in 2009 in the massive Atlantic Ocean there were pieces of wreckage.

You've had a few replies to this post, as if you were being serious, but I take it you were taking the piss?

He's serious, not worth arguing or debating with.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
the world has no random events.....all is in order, all a play of electromagnetics and energy in perfect equilibrium, harmony, balance, and chaos.......in a dance from causal events.

but you keep buying into the notion of coincidence and randomness.

Have you any scientific basis for that hypothesis because I think it's a load of old scollobs and call Stephen Hawking as my expert witness: http://www.hawking.org.uk/does-god-play-dice.html

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here