Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No one gets past Bong*

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
"The most impressive of Bong’s stats, however, and one area in which no full-back in the league can top his performance, is his average of being dribbled past just 0.3 times per 90 minutes. This, combined with his solid tackles numbers, shows Bong is an excellent one-v-one defender, rarely outfoxed by a tricky winger when challenged."

More >>> BONG'S HIDDEN STRENGTHS IDEAL FOR BRIGHTON

(* - if you round down/to nearest anyway)

Taking a leaf out of Bruno's book. Nobody got past Bruno, unlike Schelotto.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm not sure if people hate Bong, he's gloriously solid and dependable which aren't bad traits. I'm not overly surprised by those stats, you don't get past him too often. But it's just one statistic and it's a stand alone statistic, does it give a comparison with Suttner? Does it even say that's a better number than Suttner?

Suttner adds a whole other dimension to the team, in my opinion he's better in every aspect of the game than Bong is. But that's not to say Bong is bad, he's clearly not, but that Suttner is a better player in my opinion. But not in the opinion of our manager, which is the only thing that matters.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I'm not sure if people hate Bong, he's gloriously solid and dependable which aren't bad traits. I'm not overly surprised by those stats, you don't get past him too often. But it's just one statistic and it's a stand alone statistic, does it give a comparison with Suttner? Does it even say that's a better number than Suttner?

Suttner adds a whole other dimension to the team, in my opinion he's better in every aspect of the game than Bong is. But that's not to say Bong is bad, he's clearly not, but that Suttner is a better player in my opinion. But not in the opinion of our manager, which is the only thing that matters.

Whilst I've pinned my colours to Suttner's mast already in this thread, to claim he is better than GB in EVERY aspect is definitely not true.

Suttners control, passing and delivery are comfortably superior. He also has a tremendous slide tackle in his locker, when it looks like someone is past him.

GB though is faster, physically stronger, and harder to get past.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

nor indeed, in my opinion, which matters a great deal too :thumbsup:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

That's just garbage that Stuttner is better in every aspect

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

You can usually rely on manager to know a good player in his own position. i.e full back.

When Pog was not signed I thought we would get a younger left back as Suttner and Bong are both 29 as well as Pog. Joe Bryan looked good on TV.

I find Suttner tenacious, but more likely to dive in and miss and probably not as quick for both interceptions, and recovery speed, and Suttner is not so good at stopping crosses either.

Distribution and shepherding wingers onto their weaker foot, nothing to choose between them. I would give greater marks to Bong for marking and heading as well. and stopping inverted strikers cutting in. And positioning.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Can he play left back? :moo:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To me they are the perfect combination of full back and back up.
They both do 'the job' with unnerving similarities, and they each have one or two differing flair attributes.

I have no idea how posters can be for one and against the other, personally I'm grateful Bong favours black boots, as without that knowledge I'd struggle to tell them apart.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Bong has had various people on the wing in front of him in his time here, him and Jose looks to be a good pairing. If we start Ulloa in a game though, I reckon Suttner might be the better choice, to find his head.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Aye Aye
Bong is our defender
Aye Aye
Plays instead of Suttner
Aye Aye
He never gets dribbled past
1, 2, 3, 4...!!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Is it his breath that stops wingers getting by?

Allegedly

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Some kind of mistake surely?

From the SCC game:
Bong instead of Suttner. :nono:

Once again, our best crosser is not on the pitch with our best header of a ball. :down: It seems so simple and so obvious!

From the West Ham game:
Bong is so poor on the ball. Takes an age to sort his feet out going forward. Cringeworthy. We can win this!
Did you see what he did with the ball? Ummm nothing. He panicked and sometimes passed the ball backwards or if he was feeling pretty adventurous, sideways. I'm sure West Ham were happy to let him have the ball in their half because he has nothing to offer in that area of the pitch. He played ok but technically, imo, he is so poor for this level.

For the record, I'm bloody delighted we won before people say "some people are never happy" etc. Thought we were great today.
Bong defending of crosses has been atrocious as they have crept in behind him far to often. Could end up costing us if he doesn’t concentrate more

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Some kind of mistake surely?

From the SCC game:

From the West Ham game:

So, as usual, you quote out of context, but nothing you quoted me as saying is different to general sentiments. Suttner is a better crosser of the ball, anyone can see that. If we've got a guy who can provide dangerous crosses without losing defensive solidity, why wouldn't we pick the guy who can both defend AND attack? Especially if we've got Murray/Ulloa on the pitch. They will gobble up the crosses from Suttner, Hemed doesn't have that level of ability but he always seemed to start when Suttner did. It wound me up!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here