Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Says in argus we have turned down 2 bids from derby

Dunk going for 6 million, Stephens 3 would do nicely. We have a few centre backs in waiting plus BFG and also Ince is being kept on the bench when he should be a regular in my opinion. Crofts to return so it's not all doom and gloom. Dunk & Stephens are good players but some on here were picking holes in their performances in the past, who knows the players coming back from injury and new recruits may be better.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Zero chance of him going to Derby.
None whatsoever.

Well, there IS a chance. However unlikely you think it might be, there is ALWAYS a chance...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Glad Hughton has a brain. No way should we sell Stevens at any price. Him and Kayal are the engine of that team...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thank f*** for that!
Number of people with a brain that were at all worried we'd accept the offer = 0.

There were grumbles at the back end of last season, me included (never said I wanted him sacked though) and I think they were justified. There were a few times when just 3 more points would have got us over the line but he continued to not even attempt a single attack, Rotherham away springs to mind. I think it was pretty fair for a few fans to have a moan, we could have been safe far, far earlier, as it was we relied on Millwall losing before we could breath a sigh of relief. Being so negative could have backfired spectacularly.

Likewise CH (and Blom/Barber) should be commended for the work over the summer and the start to the season. I think it is fair to both praise and criticise a manager within the course of the season. Does not mean you want a manager sacked, nor does it mean you think he is the messiah.
I don't blame people for criticising a manager, maybe saying he's been too negative etc. What I personally find annoying is when a fan claims to know everything, that the manager knows nothing and should be sacked asap (exception exist).

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Glad Hughton has a brain. No way should we sell Stevens at any price. Him and Kayal are the engine of that team...
He's not THAT good; I reckon the current recruitment team could replace him if Derby started offering silly money.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's not THAT good; I reckon the current recruitment team could replace him if Derby started offering silly money.
There's 4 potential replacements in the current squad.

Granted none are worth 'silly money', but neither was Dunk 12 months ago.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who are these four who get anywhere near to his ability. Crofts is the only one but we do not know how his injury will have affected him. The rest are streets behind him.
That'll be why "none are worth silly money".

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There's 4 potential replacements in the current squad.

Granted none are worth 'silly money', but neither was Dunk 12 months ago.

There's four players who could potentially line up next to Kayal at kick off, but that's about it. Crofts might be good enough, but you have to wonder with his injury record whether he'll ever be the player he once was again.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So how would they fill the hole for us. None outside of the first XI are good enough yet.
It's lucky then Stephens isn't up for sale, I'm surprised CH hasn't offloaded Ince, JFC, Holla & Crofts as they clearly aren't needed.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's lucky then Stephens isn't up for sale, I'm surprised CH hasn't offloaded Ince, JFC, Holla & Crofts as they clearly aren't needed.
They are back up, squad members, not potential permanent replacements. I suspect CH would be quite happy to offload one or two of them if there was a chance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's four players who could potentially line up next to Kayal at kick off, but that's about it. Crofts might be good enough, but you have to wonder with his injury record whether he'll ever be the player he once was again.
Deffo, replacing Stephens is easier than replacing Kayal.
I'm not saying any one of the 4 can easily step up as Stephens replacement, just that there is depth in that position.

Ince and JFC could benefit from playing with Kayal's experience.
Croft's is the natural replacement, but as you say that seems unlikely now.

The fact that none of them are the obvious replacement says it all, but then again, Dunk was in an identical situation a year ago.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Ince JFC have potential and maybe one day, Holla blows hot and cold and Crofts it is unknown how he will fare. But you need players as back up and obviously play the best hence a midfiled built around Kayal and Stephens. The difference with Dunk is that from day one he always stepped up to the mark when required.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here