Albion reject "final" Leicester bid for Ulloa

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
And since then FFP has come into play, and clubs coming down have bigger parachute payments. So I doubt we'll have a top 8 playing budget.

TB commented on this a few weeks ago...
“This season ten clubs have parachute payments. Financially you cannot compete with them. Last season it was eight. That doesn’t mean in player salary terms we are below them, we were above at least one of them last year.
“We will have a very healthy budget again this season...We will stick to it, and get the very best we can from whatever budget there is.”
via http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/112..._another_competitive_squad_to_target_top_six/

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The audited level of losses are not for the last season. It is the audited losses for 2013/14 that we need to be concerned with and the noises coming from the club were that they were on course to be within FFP limits, ie £8m in our case.

Your problem is you don't like FFP and it seems quite clear you haven't a clue what you are talking about. Whether it is right or wrong, the vast majority of people who comment on it will know that the first sanctions will be imposed after the accounts have been submitted for the season just gone. So there have been no grounds to sanction anyone yet. In all likelihood, QPR will be fined but the question will be how will that be collected. Forest, if they have exceeded the limits as it seems they have, will have a transfer embargo until such time that they get their accounts in order.

Yes, but only on target because of large-scale shedding of extremely well paid players since May 2013. You only have to look at any BHA club programme c. say April 2013 and the amount of well known players then, that have departed since, is huge.

The inevitable resultant lowering of squad quality, and inability to sign the likes of Grabban, Ward, and others, and compete with say Fulham is riling some fans.

To divert from that plan, would breach FFP.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes, but only on target because of large-scale shedding of extremely well paid players since May 2013. You only have to look at any BHA club programme c. say April 2013 and the amount of well known players then, that have departed since, is huge.

The inevitable resultant lowering of squad quality, and inability to sign the likes of Grabban, Ward, and others, and compete with say Fulham is riling some fans.

Not necessarily going to disagree but which players that left, other than probably Vicente, did you think were on high wages?

I thought a lot of savings had been made from rationalising backroom staff. Plus of course we have greater income from better sponsorship deals this season.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Not necessarily going to disagree but which players that left, other than probably Vicente, did you think were on high wages?

I thought a lot of savings had been made from rationalising backroom staff. Plus of course we have greater income from better sponsorship deals this season.

TK, Upson, Bridcutt, Orlandi, Lopez, Rodriquez I would guess were high earners. The remaining would be ulloa, CMS, crofts. If any of them are with us next year i will be surprised.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
TK, Upson, Bridcutt, Orlandi, Lopez, Rodriquez I would guess were high earners. The remaining would be ulloa, CMS, crofts. If any of them are with us next year i will be surprised.

All those players were here during last season so their wages will be in the accounts submitted for ffp purposes. I read it as Westander was referring to players that left at the end of 2012/13 season.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
All those players were here during last season so their wages will be in the accounts submitted for ffp purposes. I read it as Westander was referring to players that left at the end of 2012/13 season.

Apologies. Confusion on my behalf.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Depends what we call high, but the following would have been earned an extremely good living from us:

Vicente
Bridge
Hoskins
Kuzschak
Bridge
Hammond
Upson
Lopez
Orlandi
Brezovan
Harley
Hammond
Bridcutt

And the following would have earned very well
El Abd
Barnes
Painter

With loanees, obviously just our contribution.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The audited level of losses are not for the last season. It is the audited losses for 2013/14 that we need to be concerned with and the noises coming from the club were that they were on course to be within FFP limits, ie £8m in our case.

Your problem is you don't like FFP and it seems quite clear you haven't a clue what you are talking about. Whether it is right or wrong, the vast majority of people who comment on it will know that the first sanctions will be imposed after the accounts have been submitted for the season just gone. So there have been no grounds to sanction anyone yet. In all likelihood, QPR will be fined but the question will be how will that be collected. Forest, if they have exceeded the limits as it seems they have, will have a transfer embargo until such time that they get their accounts in order.

I have no problem with FFP, if it is applied correctly across the board. I hate FFP when it operates alongside the 'Parachute Payement' anomoly, that renders any FFP guidelines as completely redundant and discriminatory.

If you read my post, I used the words 'WHEN' and 'CANDIDATES'.... so yes it is still to officially come into the public domain, but seeing as we have already witnessed QPR and its fantasy football levels of losses, plus the obvious Forest overspending vs its attendances etc,...... I will keep wondering until I see it all in black and white. I am certain that little or no sanction will be applied to either of those clubs, nor those others found to be outside the FFP parameters.

Level playing field is what I would like to see..... and as someone else said, why not reward those who stay in control of finances, why randomly pass the cash to a charity...... smells like a smokescreen to me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Depends what we call high, but the following would have been earned an extremely good living from us:

Vicente
Bridge
Hoskins
Kuzschak
Bridge
Hammond
Upson
Lopez
Orlandi
Brezovan
Harley
Hammond
Bridcutt

El Abd
Barnes
Painter

And Bridge and Hammond

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Vicente
Bridge
Hoskins
Kuzschak
Bridge
Hammond
Upson
Lopez
Orlandi
Brezovan
Harley
Hammond
Bridcutt

El Abd
Barnes
Painter

El Abd was on £3k per week

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Agreed. Albion like most Champ clubs pay high wages. In the top half of the division so higher than most.
You can argue that we're trying to replace players with those on smaller wages but hard to evaluate how things look in replacing this summer's out of contract players...

Kusczack
Upson
Orlandi
Lopez
Brezovan
Hoskins/Rodriguez

until Aug 31...We might not replace any of them in eyes of some, or replace with lesser players, but hard to judge until this window is finished.

And obviously last season you could argue that our roster of new players, whether a success or not, were mostly a mix of ex Prem, internationals, or highly regarded Champ players so, for the most part, i'm assuming on reasonably high wages compared to outgoing players.

Ward (ex Prem)
Andrews (ex Prem)
Agustien (ex Prem)
Conway/Lingard
Chicksen
Stephens
Lita/Obika/Rodriguez

In terms of squad strength then

Dicker
Barker
Adgenstein
Painter
Harley
have all left the first team squad in last 12 months.

Finally might also be worth thinking how much Rohan Ince, Solly March, Christian Walton, and Jake Forster Caskey are now worth to the club and add to squad strength compared to some of the departees.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill

If correct, that is about right for his overall competency. I guess he is paid a little more at Bristol and has a longer contract. At the end of last season he was unable to make the starting line up of Division 1 team following a string of poor performances.

£3k a week equates to £150k a year. I would reckon most on this board receive less than that, and some considerably less than that.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
£3k a week equates to £150k a year. I would reckon most on this board receive less than that, and some considerably less than that.

Given the UK average salary is around £27k, I think we can be pretty sure that your supposition that "most on this board" earn less than £150k is correct...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Not true.
He was awarded his first pro contract at £2k per week in 2003, age 19, with a heavy emphasis on appearances.
That was in the days of Withdean's small club income.
To put this into perspective, we were paying about £3k+ per week to first teamers in the last Withdean season to 2011.
Since then, El Abd was given far better contracts as his game improved, and the club quadrupled its income at the Amex.

Sauce: High up in club admin.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Not true.
He was awarded his first pro contract at £2k per week in 2003, age 19, with a heavy emphasis on appearances.
To put this into perspective, we were paying about £3k+ per week to first teamers in the last Withdean season to 2011.
Since then, El Abd was given far better contracts as his game improved, and the club quadrupled its income at the Amex.

Was told by the man himself.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Not true.

Thanks. This is good to know in a way.

I believe the club to be pretty good payers but of course other clubs with parachute payments often have more to spend. We are now looking for the 'best' players given our expectations and it is very competitive with number of other clubs involved. It seems pretty inevitable we will lose out more often that not. Good players do come though and will arrive. A really pleasing plus point has been the way Ince, March and Forster-Caskey have contributed. They have though been inconsistent and need to be blended with more experienced new arrivals.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
According to published accounts, wasn't the total payroll bill for 2012/13 c. £15m?
Within that there would be £1.8m of employers national insurance, leaving £13.2m in gross wages paid.
The paid Board members received about £0.7m of that, leaving £12.5m for everyone else.
Let's say £2.5m went to player management, Burke, admin, retail, AITC, technical, ground staff, stewards, catering, security, academy, etc.
That leaves £10m for senior pros. This sounds right as analysis by Deloitte's show player wages in all 4 divisions makes up the bulk of payroll costs.

Divided by say 25 senior players including the younger JFC's of the world, and 52 weeks = £7.7k per week average.
I think that looks in the right ball park.
With Bridge (our share), Kuzschak, Upson, Orlandi, etc getting far more than that, and the rest a fair bit less.

(In contrast, Deloitte's latest data stated average PL wages were £31k per week).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here