Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion reject "final" Leicester bid for Ulloa

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Wow, just Wow.

So Palace are a bigger club than Leeds, Sheff Wed, Wolves among others.

And West Brom bigger still.

As I said earlier, size of club is a nebulous/subjective concept. Put it like this, if you were a player, who would you want to sign for at this time? Sad to say it is Pal@rse. There, I answered it for you.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think the salaries we pay are very competitive when compared with most European top level leagues. The problem is that we can not compete with the Premier League and parachute payment Championship clubs. You then have clubs like Bournemouth & Bristol City with millionaire owners who will just pay a player we've targeted more than we are offering as they are not concerned with FFP and are prepared to break their own wage structure at the drop of a hat. The club did amazingly well to find Ulloa and get that deal done (although Van Dijk is maybe an example of when they should have paid a little more to push the deal through), I have every faith that they have more 'Ulloa' type players targeted but I doubt we'd get much value from signing a UK based player, especially an English one.

Very sensible post.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Players do take pay cuts to go to bigger clubs as well, not always in overall pay but in taxes as well.

Unsure how more pay can equal less taxes. I agree some might take a pay cut, but they will be in a huge minority

For those slagging off the club, or having sly digs, about its player wage structure .... there isn't an option.

The club's audited level of losses are now prohibited by the FL. Accordingly wages, by far the greatest cost is having to be reduced. There is no option, unless you want the club to face multi £m penalties and transfer embargoes.

We can freely talk about the recent PL clubs with parachute monies, like Fulham. Because of that, they have far greater club income than us for the moment, and so can probably outbid us on transfer fees and player wages, and there's nothing we can do about that.

Absolutely. In today's game (FFP, if it sticks) I cant see many clubs outside the top tier (or parachute while they have them) surviving without making a profit on their transfer activity and finding the occasional golden nugget (Ulloa).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The point is simply that there are other clubs with a greater chance of promotion than us. That one club made it last year without spending too much doesn't change that fact.

You misunderstood my post Beach. Someone said 'on what grounds', meaning 'on what basis', and I was just joking by saying 'the Amex and training'. Not my finest ever comedy I know, and of course I now regret the whole episode greatly.

So the rep we have built up recently with two play-off berths in the last 2 seasons, a brand spanking new stadium, an even newer 'world-class' training complex, and the biggest attendances outside the top flight count for nothing then!? I disagree wholeheartedly.

On reflection, what I should have said is that we are one of the easier 'sells' in the Championship, not the easiest, but only because of our (too tight IMHO) playing budget.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
For those slagging off the club, or having sly digs, about its player wage structure .... there isn't an option.

The club's audited level of losses are now prohibited by the FL. Accordingly wages, by far the greatest cost is having to be reduced. There is no option, unless you want the club to face multi £m penalties and transfer embargoes.

We can freely talk about the recent PL clubs with parachute monies, like Fulham. Because of that, they have far greater club income than us for the moment, and so can probably outbid us on transfer fees and player wages, and there's nothing we can do about that.

The audited level of losses are not for the last season. It is the audited losses for 2013/14 that we need to be concerned with and the noises coming from the club were that they were on course to be within FFP limits, ie £8m in our case.

When I see a club sanctioned heavily for breaking the FFP rules, I will stand up and say I understand,.... at the moment nobody has been penalised, QPR are basking in the knowledge that they have had several seasons of freebies as far as the FL is concerned, they dont give a shiite now they have Prem money of course. And Forest???.... well who knows what went on there...... others are definite candidates for being over the limits too, but I have yet to hear of a single sanction given out.

Your problem is you don't like FFP and it seems quite clear you haven't a clue what you are talking about. Whether it is right or wrong, the vast majority of people who comment on it will know that the first sanctions will be imposed after the accounts have been submitted for the season just gone. So there have been no grounds to sanction anyone yet. In all likelihood, QPR will be fined but the question will be how will that be collected. Forest, if they have exceeded the limits as it seems they have, will have a transfer embargo until such time that they get their accounts in order.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Let's just hope FFP is put into practice. The rules have already been changed once, instead of the fines being redistributed amongst those adhering to the rules they now go to charitable causes. For us that is lost income.

When the likes of Forest, QPR and Leicester employ serious legal professionals to fight the rules will FIFA/UEFA stand firm? I have my doubts. If the offending clubs win their case we will be left regretting many a wasted year #naggingdoubts

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
To be honest I did lose a bit of faith in FFP when they announced all the fines will go to charity.

Unfortunately, that was just a proposal that needed ratification by the Premier League as it would only be their members paying the fines. Unfortunately, as I understand it, the sponsors of the Prem, or even maybe Sky, weren't happy with their money going to other clubs hence the proposal now that it goes to Charity instead.

Have to agree though by distributing it to compliant clubs would be an added incentive, especially when you look at how much QPR might have to pay!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So the rep we have built up recently with two play-off berths in the last 2 seasons, a brand spanking new stadium, an even newer 'world-class' training complex, and the biggest attendances outside the top flight count for nothing then!?
For nothing? No, we're not the hardest sell. But money talks, and we're not going to have a top 8 budget.

On reflection, what I should have said is that we are one of the easier 'sells' in the Championship, not the easiest, but only because of our (too tight IMHO) playing budget.
Our 'too tight' playing budget should be at the top of the FFP limit (according to TB), and I'm pretty happy with that. And we should be able to attract some good players. But given the money some clubs are able to throw around, don't be surprised that we'll miss out on a lot of the top talent.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Let's just hope FFP is put into practice. The rules have already been changed once, instead of the fines being redistributed amongst those adhering to the rules they now go to charitable causes. For us that is lost income.

When the likes of Forest, QPR and Leicester employ serious legal professionals to fight the rules will FIFA/UEFA stand firm? I have my doubts. If the offending clubs win their case we will be left regretting many a wasted year #naggingdoubts

UEFA have not imposed FFP rules or sanctions for the Championship; it is the Football League and its members. Although for what it's worth, Man City and PSG considered challenging their £50m fine but the EU has said that it would be upheld under European law. So that's a nice precedent.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think the wage bill in the accounts included non playing staff. We paid over £800k to directors and also had a top heavy operations headcount, so it is likely our player budget was more like mid table

800k in total between all directors isn't going to make much of a difference. That's not much more than we pay our top players each.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I think the wage bill in the accounts included non playing staff. We paid over £800k to directors and also had a top heavy operations headcount, so it is likely our player budget was more like mid table

The wage bill does definitely include non-playing staff. I'd agree with your analysis that follows.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

But every club's wage bill is going to include admin and backroom staff. We probably have a bit more than most because of our stadium and transport arrangements.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Didn't our wage bill also include somewhere in the region of £1m in redundancy payments after the staff cull?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here