• David Stockdale

Votes: 81 48.2%
  • Tomasz Kuszczak

Votes: 87 51.8%

• Total voters

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
So stockdales fail to make only one save since splaying for us is down to the tactics ??? Makes a lot of sense lol

The tactics are leaving us very exposed at the back making it easier for the opposition and harder for the keeper.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
So stockdales fail to make only one save since splaying for us is down to the tactics ??? Makes a lot of sense lol

Unless Sami's tactics are that the keeper doesn't get himself in the way of any goal bound shots?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I saw a man at Haywards Heath town day yesterday who I am sure would have saved all 3 goals FDM. I may get slated but I would drop Stockdale for Tuesday and throw Walton in against Ipswich, if only to show I am not happy with his performances so far. This probably explains why he has never been a No1 at any club.

Get it right Totten I didnt say he should have saved all three. I think that he COULD have done better with the first 2 and SHOULD have done better with the 3rd.

Just read all this and basically - rubbish!

FDM was rarely dominant in his 6 yard box.

1st goal - Stockdale was a little slow off his line and got his angles slightly wrong, but the bigger issue was Bennett ball watching.

2nd - TBH difficult to see from where I was sat, but more a case of Dunk defending on his heels rather than his toes and losing his man, coupled with the fact Crofts was RB whilst Caldy was still in the other teams half.
3rd - No way can that be attributed to Stockdale. Crofts at RB the issue, good cross, good header, though not sure how our 2 CBs were out jumped, the Brentford player must have had a run on them.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Brighton's goalkeeping future certainly appears to be in safe hands even when Antti Niemi is indeed finished with all of the savvy and experienced custodians around and about.

penalty-save-smiley-emoticon.gif

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Haven't seen the goals back but on first viewing I didn't think Stockdale could do much about any of the goals.
I haven't seen the goals yet at all but think Stockdale is shit.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The tactics are leaving us very exposed at the back making it easier for the opposition and harder for the keeper.

He should still have made ONE good save by now. Sometimes we'd be getting battered and Kusz would make quality save after quality save keeping us in it.

Kusz by a country mile from what we've seen so far, but jury is still out.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He should still have made ONE good save by now. Sometimes we'd be getting battered and Kusz would make quality save after quality save keeping us in it.

This is my concern, he may not have been directly at fault for any of the goals but he hasn't yet made a great save, he has had plenty of games to make at least one. He has not impressed me at all with his goalkeeping skills but he does the "team player" bit brilliantly. Kuz always struck me as a surly ******* who was not a team player at all, but he did make some stunning saves he had no right to make in his first season here. Stockdale hasn't even made a good save let alone a great one in 6 league games. Questioning how good he is seems pretty logical imo.

I really hope he makes 5 ridiculously good save tomorrow night and makes all us doubters eat our words. I fear the first shot on target may well end up in our net though :down:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So that is 72 who dont know what they are talking about. Incidentally my brother works at LHR where a number of his mates support Brentford and went to the game and virtually all of them said they expected DS to have done better with all 3 goals but thought that Brentford were the better side but we looked dangerous going forward and pathetic in defence.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So that is 72 who dont know what they are talking about. Incidentally my brother works at LHR where a number of his mates support Brentford and went to the game and virtually all of them said they expected DS to have done better with all 3 goals but thought that Brentford were the better side but we looked dangerous going forward and pathetic in defence.

Why is it '72 who don't know what they are talking about'? You do realise that the poll question is "Who would you like in goal, Stockdale or Kusczcak?" rather than "Is Stockdale terrible?". Given that TK was considered by many on here to be Brighton's best EVER keeper, its inevitable thta many would choose him over Stockdale, thus far.

In no way does the result of THIS poll support your utterly childish, simplistic view on the keeping situation, and specifically the goals we conceded on Saturday. We've already established that your brother is as deluded as you are, and seemingly we can put 'vitually all of his mates' in the same camp.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Genuine question for those who voted Stockdale,

What is it you have seen that would make you choose him over TK? Or is it just he cost £1m, he must be good?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps because TK was so much better the poll should have been between Ankergren and Stockdale that would have been interesting and not sure who the winner would be.

Incidentally I told my brother about his obvious lack of knowledge and his answer was " that coming from NSC the font of all knowledge ha ha."

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Genuine question for those who voted Stockdale,

What is it you have seen that would make you choose him over TK? Or is it just he cost £1m, he must be good?

Whilst he has not pulled off the wonder save as yet, merely as a 'county level' player and long-term football fan I don't think he has done too much wrong thus far. Equally he has not had the chance to make a wonder blunder yet.

Lot of amateur 'keeper critics on here (with obvious apologies to anyone relevantly qualified).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
From what I have seen so far if you are going to play the ball out from the back and keep possession like we do then Stockdale's ability with the ball (distribution speed and accuracy with hands and feet) looks to be much better than Kuszczak's. As far as the other aspects they seem similar, maybe Kuszczak is better shot stopper.

But, I also think it is utter stupidity to compare two players with each other when one has played 2 seasons with pretty much the same defensive team and the other a handful of games after a summer of squad changes. So I will leave my final judgement until you can actually compare the two properly instead of making knee-jerk reactions based on a few games.

Agree with all of that.

In addition, Stockdale, compared with the TK of the last few months is the 'safer' choice. Won't make the odd great stop, but will concede possession less, and won't drop rickets. Tomasz was throwing the thing in the net by the end. If Stockdale had done what TK did at Nottingham, people would be going mental at him.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Tomasz was throwing the thing in the net by the end. If Stockdale had done what TK did at Nottingham, people would be going mental at him.

As they would be if it had been Ankergren in goal this season

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As they would be if it had been Ankergren in goal this season

Had it been Casper in goal this season, people would have wondered how the enormous improvement in his decision making and all round game came about - why he is suddnly able to come at safely collect corners, etc. On shot-stopping no difference.

Actually that's a little unfair on Casper - he actually made one VERY good save at Swindon.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Had it been Casper in goal this season, people would have wondered how the enormous improvement in his decision making and all round game came about - why he is suddnly able to come at safely collect corners, etc. On shot-stopping no difference.

Actually that's a little unfair on Casper - he actually made one VERY good save at Swindon.

No they wouldn't, they'd have been too busy going apoplectic that he hadn't actually saved a goal bound shot in the first five league games.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No they wouldn't, they'd have been too busy going apoplectic that he hadn't actually saved a goal bound shot in the first five league games.

I can't be bothered to go over this point yet again, but that is a statistical anomaly, and nothing more. There has been ONE goal - Charlton's first - that he had a chance of saving. What you are basically implying is that if there had been an additional dozen scuffed shots straight at him, meaning he'd conceded 8 from 24 on target, then yu'd be happy?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I can't be bothered to go over this point yet again, but that is a statistical anomaly, and nothing more. There has been ONE goal - Charlton's first - that he had a chance of saving. What you are basically implying is that if there had been an additional dozen scuffed shots straight at him, meaning he'd conceded 8 from 24 on target, then yu'd be happy?

No I mean he hasn't made a meaningful save, dress it up how you like. I'm not saying drop him, replace him or sack him it's just a disappointing fact. I am quite happy to carry on backing him because he hasn't made any howlers either. My point is that in the same scenario Casper would have been crucified.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No I mean he hasn't made a meaningful save, dress it up how you like. I'm not saying drop him, replace him or sack him it's just a disappointing fact. I am quite happy to carry on backing him because he hasn't made any howlers either. My point is that in the same scenario Casper would have been crucified.

I disagree entirely. If Casper had put in those 7 performances, with no obvious flaps or big blunders, people would have considered those very tidy performances from him. Expectations of Stockdale are (rightly) a bit higher.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here