Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I have never claimed to be a photographist. This is from the top of Ide Hill this morning.

Untitled 28.12.14.jpg

To the right of the pond is where we did some formation falling off. We were going okay, and were taking it easy until my mate hit the deck in front of me at low speed on a sudden sheet of ice. My first thought was a rather ambitious, "I'll stay upright" but down I went too. Right in front of two charming ladies having an early walk. My cussing was not too bad and I apologised. Fortunately, we did not fall over on the ice. Strange to be smiling after a tumble, but no injuries or bike damage, so I'll take that. From then the weather felt a lot colder. Over the top of Ide there was a lot of frost, so we backed right off. It was a bit scarey in places. Closer to home, the frost vanished, even cars in shade had not a spot, and I tried to pick up a bit more pace. Today was not about average mph, it was badass.

I'm on a hattrick. 'Twas the sunday between crimbo and NY last year that I had my rib-crunching off. :facepalm:

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
I managed to have a pretty nasty fall last Monday. Thankfully I wasn't going too fast as it was very windy but I hit a pot hole and went straight over. I dusted myself off and thought I have got away with that and jumped back on, 5 minutes later I couldn't see out of my right eye, my glasses had become covered in blood. I took a look at myself and I had sustained quite a nasty head wound. Anyway after a night in hospital and some Nasty concussion and a good wound on my head my wife has now banned me from the bike. It's my second fall of the year- first one led to a broken wrist. I know I will be desperate to get back on my bike next week, put she has truly put her foot down. Suggestions please.....

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Was it dark? Maybe you can 'negotiate' daylight hours only for a while before inching back to full time.

I reckon my Mrs might pull a moody one if I spent a night in hospital. Is your bike okay?

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
I have yet to collect the bike, I abandoned at a friends house and my wife collected me. I will pick it up next week I think the wheel will need some work and I remember the fromeft brake looked slightly bent. I will probably drop it straight into the lbs and see what he says. Unfortunately I was riding in full daylight so I can't use that excuse!!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I managed to have a pretty nasty fall last Monday. Thankfully I wasn't going too fast as it was very windy but I hit a pot hole and went straight over. I dusted myself off and thought I have got away with that and jumped back on, 5 minutes later I couldn't see out of my right eye, my glasses had become covered in blood. I took a look at myself and I had sustained quite a nasty head wound. Anyway after a night in hospital and some Nasty concussion and a good wound on my head my wife has now banned me from the bike. It's my second fall of the year- first one led to a broken wrist. I know I will be desperate to get back on my bike next week, put she has truly put her foot down. Suggestions please.....

What do you mean, she's banned you? Is she suggesting a permanent ban?

If it's temporary I can understand where she is coming from, but if it is permanent...well that simply won't do. Ask her the question - if you injured yourself walking, twice in a year, would she ban this? What about driving a car? Or getting out of bed?

Cycling is, statistically, quite safe, even in the UK.

If she wants to ban you from doing something that you love, and she can get away with doing this...well far be it from me, but I couldn't live under those conditions. She's put her foot down? You have a voice too, you know!

Here's to a speedy recovery, and some safer riding.

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
What do you mean, she's banned you? Is she suggesting a permanent ban?

If it's temporary I can understand where she is coming from, but if it is permanent...well that simply won't do. Ask her the question - if you injured yourself walking, twice in a year, would she ban this? What about driving a car? Or getting out of bed?

Cycling is, statistically, quite safe, even in the UK.

If she wants to ban you from doing something that you love, and she can get away with doing this...well far be it from me, but I couldn't live under those conditions. She's put her foot down? You have a voice too, you know!

Here's to a speedy recovery, and some safer riding.

Hinting at a winter ban! However her position is beginning to soften. Watch this sapce

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hinting at a winter ban! However her position is beginning to soften. Watch this sapce
"It's me or the bike".

Shirley that's a non contest.

I hope things are ok, fingers crossed the wheels and brakes are alright :lol: :kiss:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Get well soon de la zouch, and good luck with the persuading.

It was certainly a bit dodgy out there today that's for sure. Lots of ice in patches and to make it worse I was on a route that turned out to be all up and down and on tight country lanes, most of which I've never been down before in my life. I'm a cautious descender anyway, but today had me really hanging on for dear life in places. Thankfully no falls to report.

Kudos to anyone out in that today. My Bryton thingy never showed anything above 5 degrees, and that was in the sun! Most of the ride it sat at around 3 degrees and fell to 2 degrees on the last drag home in late afternoon. Have to say though, those Pogue Mahone overshoes...absolute belters!...never once suffered cold or wet feet yet again :thumbsup:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Right, comments on this please.

I've been offered a 'used' Giant Defy. Not sure yet if it is a 4 or a 5. It has not done a full mile on the road. Pretty sure it is my size. £320. Said to have a carbon front fork. Basically similar in many ways to my synae, but is not a triple. While it is a bargain way to get a second bike, I'm not sold on it. I had thought my next bike would be a better synae; reviews are always good and I'm well happy with the 'fit'. If I buy the bike, my stash is gone too, so no new stuff for ages.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Whilst that is a good price, and you clearly need a winter bike, you are not sold on it. You KNOW what you want, and will regret settling for something else.

As you say, when you've spent your stash, it's gone.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Maybe it would not be a winter bike? Seeing as how its not a triple, I could use it for less hillier rides. Perhaps I should give it a few miles on trial. If it don't feel right, it ain't a good buy at any price. Imagine being 25 miles out and in all sorts of discomfort.

Evening gents, just before we all get behind the Albion tonight; a quick ask of advice..Mrs Trickyone set some moula aside for a winter jersey. I have a WP jacket but am looking to get more of a jersey. Are there any suggested makes and models I should check out. Thanks and up the Albion!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION], forgive my ignorance on the respective models in question, but is it not the case you'll just end up with 2 similar bikes?
Won't you be taking £320 out of a 'dream machine' fund?
[MENTION=12665]TrickyOne[/MENTION] as usual I will recommend www.prendas.com
I picked up an ad for these guys http://stolengoat.com/product-category/clothing/jerseys/.
There's some nice looking kit, but I've not used them so it's not a direct recommendation.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION], forgive my ignorance on the respective models in question, but is it not the case you'll just end up with 2 similar bikes?
Won't you be taking £320 out of a 'dream machine' fund?

[MENTION=12665]TrickyOne[/MENTION] as usual I will recommend www.prendas.com
I picked up an ad for these guys http://stolengoat.com/product-category/clothing/jerseys/.
There's some nice looking kit, but I've not used them so it's not a direct recommendation.

The thing is, the longer a fund builds, the greater the chances of some sort of an 'emergency' wiping it out. Not sure I would count a 'viable' upgrade of x2 value of current bike a dream as such, but I ain't planning to go too mad.

Back to Jersies, this is mint:

jura-cycling-merino-jersey-long-sleeve-sky-blue-black-ecru-510x600.jpg

I could see my fund reducing in value by £90 if the funkers did it in XL.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Which jersey, 'go advanced' before loading any pics.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Nice one gents, been looking at a Santini h2o jersey; reviews seem good but I've no experience of their gear.

My jerseys are santini. Fine by me. Mind you, I fingered a Castelli T in Evans at the weekend as I walked by it and the feel was lovely.

Is there that much difference between a WP jacket and a WP jersey?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here