Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I was about to question a tapering plan with one week to go, then I realised you're down for London, not Brighton. Speaking of which, will you be out along the course on BM day?

Yes London for me and thanks to the top man [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] I am sorted for Charlton the day before.

I've deferred my Brighton entry to 2017 so will definitely be out there supporting the NSC AC team- easily tracked as they will be glued to the 3:45 pacer. Mrs Simgull is doing the BM10k so will watch that first, then probably be on New Church Road and hopefully make it to somewhere near the finish too.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Very jealous. I was in a similar position to yourself last year. Ran my final long run at 4:45 Mexican time then tapered down for 10 days by relaxing by the pool, good food a few beers and a massage. I ran the race of my life when the day come and the complete relaxation and warm weather training must have helped.

I'm sure you will produce a fine run in London.

I'll drink to that!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll get back there, though. Try and concentrate on quality (hills, speedwork), not quantity – not that there is anything wrong with a long run, of course...

Based on looking back at last year, yesterday's planned 7 mile run became a 10 miler. My only aim was to complete that distance, which I did and looking back I was faster than my first 10 miles around the same loop last year. Pleasing.

I sweat a lot - always have done, but often post-run I'm rarely thirsty and often don't drink anything for a while. Yesterday was different and I was parched. I knocked back nearly 3 litres of liquid within an hour of getting home.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Pacer details are out for BM: http://runbrighton.com/runbrightonnews/

Brian Friend – the fella who is pacing 3:45 – is a regular at Hove Park parkrun.

That is all.

Hmm. Plenty of experience there. Are you at the park Saturday? I would like to chat to him about his strategy but will be able to find him anyway, if he's there.

3:45 Brian Friend
Brighton Phoenix, 93 marathons to date, PB 2hrs44, previous BM pacer

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yep, that's what I spotted – I've seen him loads of times, but wasn't aware of his pedigree.

Yes, I'll be there on Saturday, and I'll try and catch him then. I was going to send him a message via Facebook, but decided that was a *bit* weird/stalkerish – better to do it in person, I figured.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Good luck to everyone taking part in the Brighton Marathon in a couple of weeks. Hope the training has gone well.

Not running this year, but I've signed up to be a volunteer. Went to the first briefing evening last Tuesday. Still not sure what I will be doing, but I'm sure it will be a fantastic experience.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck to everyone taking part in the Brighton Marathon in a couple of weeks. Hope the training has gone well.

Not running this year, but I've signed up to be a volunteer. Went to the first briefing evening last Tuesday. Still not sure what I will be doing, but I'm sure it will be a fantastic experience.

That is how I feel about the big day, ha ha. Well done for volunteering.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Is n't he the guy who usually runs with a border collie?

That's the guy. There is another 3:45 pacer too – I missed that before – so as long as one of them can do the business...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Well thanks in advance for your volunteering efforts, whatever you end up doing! :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
ATTENTION BRIGHTON MARATHON RUNNERS - and particularly the 3.45 group.

Do you use Whatsapp? I was thinking of setting up a group to keep us all informed on the day so that we have everyone who wants to meet up before and after. If you think this is a good idea and use the app please PM me your real name and mobile number and I'll set the group up.

Cheers

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
20160406_095733.jpg

4 of these and 2 lots of fish and chips in 4 days. Need to listen to your body sometimes. Back to porridge and quinoa tomorrow.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
ATTENTION BRIGHTON MARATHON RUNNERS - and particularly the 3.45 group.

Do you use Whatsapp? I was thinking of setting up a group to keep us all informed on the day so that we have everyone who wants to meet up before and after. If you think this is a good idea and use the app please PM me your real name and mobile number and I'll set the group up.

Cheers

I'm too old for technology. I'll be waiting in the pub for you........

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
View attachment 73467

4 of these and 2 lots of fish and chips in 4 days. Need to listen to your body sometimes. Back to porridge and quinoa tomorrow.

FFS. Three or four times a week I do the "run of shame" past the bacon smells of all the caffs on Hove seafront road between the Lagoon and Boundary Rd. It's all I can do not to pop in if the wind's in the right direction. Now you post this. I have just checked the fridge and I have soup and fruit in for lunch. Again. :rant:

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Well thanks in advance for your volunteering efforts, whatever you end up doing! :)

Well, good to give back, experience the event in another way. I have run Brighton 4 times now.

Though its an early start (0700), a long day, and going to be on my feet for most of it. Not a lot different then :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here