Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield Wednesday vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes, our squad is poor, but it becomes worse when Hughton decides to play full backs in midfield, strikers on the wing and Leon bloody Best up front. I don't understand why we have never even tried letting Baldock form a partnership up front with COG, it seems so obvious.

The latter doesn't seem obvious to me. I wouldn't have even signed Baldock in the first place personally. The fact that he was our 'big' Summer signing is quite frankly embarrassing.

On paper Best is the best striker we have. Whether he actually proves to be for us is another matter, but he deserves a chance, and it's not as if he's denying anyone of any real quality a place by being included anyway.

No harm can come from trying Bruno or Calde in midfield. Calde was a revelation there against Ipswich and Bruno is not exactly out of place there either. In a weak squad very few positions have a shoe in player and so you have to try different options sometimes.

It all goes back to my original premise - weak squad, simple as.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Yes, our squad is poor, but it becomes worse when Hughton decides to play full backs in midfield, strikers on the wing and Leon bloody Best up front. I don't understand why we have never even tried letting Baldock form a partnership up front with COG, it seems so obvious.

Good points. I would drop Calde, and move Bruno to the back. Halford instead of Greer. LL and Tex and then two strikers, COD for sure and one of Baldock or CMS

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We were lethargic to say the least today

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That assumes we can afford the luxury of having two players up front. We can't - the rest of the team isn't good enough to do nine men's work with eight players.

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
The latter doesn't seem obvious to me. I wouldn't have even signed Baldock in the first place personally. The fact that he was our 'big' Summer signing is quite frankly embarrassing.

On paper Best is the best striker we have. Whether he actually proves to be for us is another matter, but he deserves a chance, and it's not as if he's denying anyone of any real quality a place by being included anyway.

No harm can come from trying Bruno or Calde in midfield. Calde was a revelation there against Ipswich and Bruno is not exactly out of place there either. In a weak squad very few positions have a shoe in player and so you have to try different options sometimes.

It all goes back to my original premise - weak squad, simple as.

Playing Calde or Bruno in has been a di

In what way is Best our best striker on paper? He has failed literally everywhere he has gone apart from Newcastle, and he didn't exactly light up the world there either. He didn't manage to score a single goal in 16 games for Derby and he has done nothing to suggest that he will be anything other than shit for us. I would rather play Halford up front than him personally, let alone O'Grady or Baldock.

And trying to be different is one thing, but dropping a solid centre mid who also happens to be our best set piece taker for a lightweight full back? Not for me.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe, but it goes against the principle of not dropping a player who has played well enough to keep his place - and in his last few matches, COG has shown us he is better than many of us thought when he was loaned out earlier in the season.

Agreed.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Blimey, what does 'on paper' mean? Looking at his CV he's hardly been prolific. OK, he played in the Prem where he scored 10 in 42 which is just about middling but nothing more

I say he is denying COG who (for me) is a better hold up player, stronger, can hold off 2 CM's and create the time to bring others in, and has a decent shot on him.

Best and CH have history so I'm not expecting any change soon but I'm struggling to see how he gets the nod over COG

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I say he is denying COG who (for me) is a better hold up player, stronger, can hold off 2 CM's and create the time to bring others in, and has a decent shot on him.

Best and CH have history so I'm not expecting any change soon but I'm struggling to see how he gets the nod over COG
Strewth! Two and a bit games in and Best is already sh1t! How very NSC! However, I do agree that I can't see why he's getting in the team ahead of COG.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Blimey, what does 'on paper' mean? Looking at his CV he's hardly been prolific. OK, he played in the Prem where he scored 10 in 42 which is just about middling but nothing more

Yeah. I'm struggling to work out what 'on paper' means too. Perhaps someone could come up with some figures to help me out...oh :lol:

I'm not saying that Best is THE answer. He's coming back from a long time out of regular football and who knows if he'll ever hit form before this season is over, but for me he at least has potential there at this level. His touch is good, his game awareness is good, he's pacy and he's strong on the ball. What he is lacking at the moment is confidence in getting the shots away, but if he manages to tuck one away and get some confidence then I think he's our best bet for goals from forwards this season.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Best played well in the short time he had on the field at Blackpool.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Strewth! Two and a bit games in and Best is already sh1t! How very NSC! However, I do agree that I can't see why he's getting in the team ahead of COG.

I'm not saying he's shit at all. I was responding to a post where it was said "On paper, Best is the best striker we have and he's not denying anyone a place" I don't go along with that at all and just wonder why, when COG seems to be coming into good form, he's suddenly dropped for a fella that's been shipped in on loan having not played consistently for the past 3 or 4 years

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not saying he's shit at all. I was responding to a post where it was said "On paper, Best is the best striker we have and he's not denying anyone a place" I don't go along with that at all and just wonder why, when COG seems to be coming into good form, he's suddenly dropped for a fella that's been shipped in on loan having not played consistently for the past 3 or 4 years
Sorry, wasn't accusing you of saying Best is sh1t - I was just referring to NSC's usual habit of tearing into a player if they don't immediately deliver. There have already been posts asking why on earth the club thinks they can get away with replacing Bent with Best (answer: they didn't really have much choice!) Kayal impressed when he came on and nearly saved the game for us last week - but if he doesn't completely boss the mid-field in the next few games, the knives will probably be out for him; that's how it goes!
Mainly, I was agreeing with you that dropping COG after some good performances doesn't seem justified. He must be wishing he'd dug his heels in and stayed at Sheffield.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

If you're going to quote me then quote me right. Here's what I actually said:

...and it's not as if he's denying anyone of any real quality a place by being included anyway.

I'd also add, which I didn't mention the first time, that I'd rate COG above CMS and Baldock, but COG will be the most likely casualty of a Best inclusion because of the types of players they all are.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Sick to death of one isolated striker upfront. THREE years we have put up with this and various managers scratching their heads as to why we do not score much.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Was that an improvement on Cardiff, if anyone on here went to both matches?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Holla not in the squad again today.
Surely injured, he played well against Forest and we've missed his set pieces.

I hope Halford is alright, that throw in of his is a real weapon. We'll need to exploit things like that to get us points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here