Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
According to Tory MP Crispin Blunt "the electorate simply got it wrong"

In fairness to the UK electorate last night's result was a sophisticated and finely balanced response to, and a fair reflection of, the fact that neither May nor Corbyn are capable of providing the necessary leadership of this country.
I think that now I am starting to sober up a bit, hits the nail on the head.

May did not get her whitewash and Corbyn actually lost.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
May deserves to go, spectacular own goal and proves what a poor leader of the conservatives she is however there appears no other person in the making to take on this mantle

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
According to Tory MP Crispin Blunt "the electorate simply got it wrong"

After the uprising of the 17th June
The Secretary of the Writers Union
Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee
Stating that the people
Had forfeited the confidence of the government
And could win it back only
By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All Brighton Finally Free of Tory Cancer
I've been proven wrong.

I mocked, scoffed and I doubted, but the people have spoken, and I've learnt that Kirsty Adams actually can cure illness.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
My (very) simplistic view on the night's results :
The Tories lost seats because Aunty Theresa simply cannot think on her feet and is a poor speaker
The Labour Party gained seats because Jezza is a rabble rouser and a good orator
The UKIP vote collapsed because that ship has sailed - one policy party
The SNP lost seats because the Scots don't really want to leave the Union

Slight nuance but I think because they couldn't stomach a second referendum is probably closer to the truth.....

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If he can heal the PLP, that some of his big hitting MPs like Ummuna join the shadow cabinet on the evidence of this vote and Corbyn's performance, then Labour could go into any future election from a very strong base.

With you on this. The Tories have to play everything safe at the moment. They've inched over the line in so many seats that look very vulnerable if they go the country again in the near future. The 'momentum' is with Labour and this will only continue if there's a tryst with the big hitters in the PLP, plus even with some within the Lib Dems. Labour need to reconfigure and really present themselves as a government-in-waiting, and this will really force the Con/DUP likely coalition to tread very carefully.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
After being battered in the election, the SNP now want to help form the next government. WTF?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
And I'm back in the game!

Did someone slip some drugs into my cider last night? John McDonnell seems to be saying that Labour, with fewer votes and fewer seats than the Conservatives, have some sort of right to form a government now.

Ah, here we go, Andrew Marr is now on and basically saying he's talking shit.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Welcome.

Did someone slip some drugs into my cider last night? John McDonnell seems to be saying that Labour, with fewer votes and fewer seats than the Conservatives, have some sort of right to form a government now.
Along with the SNP of course. Still fewer seats, but aligned in politics in level of delusion.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Why do Labour soundbites keep coming out saying they are prepared to form a minority government. It simply will not happen.

I suspect that they know that. What they are signalling is that they did far better than expected and will not start doing deals that will put them into a position that a) compromises the strong platform they stood on and b) puts them in a position that is simply unsustainable.

They know, we know, the Tories know. The only possible government is minority Tory and that will be a disaster. It's going to be another election fairly soon.
That is what the Labour messaging is now focussed on I suspect.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
The leader of the DUP, the most likely partners in a Tory government, has said it may be "very difficult" for Theresa May to survive as PM.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

I think McDonnell is on the drugs....living in cloud cuckoo land

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It must be time for a significant change to our voting system such as PR.

I'm all for it, but the paradox is that this election has seen the unlikely return of two-party politics (in England at least). This doesn't augur well for PR. One thing's for certain and that's 'normality' and predictability is off the agenda, so what materialises out of this is up for grabs.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Well they do have a right to try, they will obviously fail though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here